What is FBE (frame burst error)?

Hi cdfreaks community,

I’m working on my bachelor thesis (topic is “Usability of optical media for long-term archival purposes”). Sofar I was more or less able to google everything I needed, but now I got stuck at stuff concerning FBE (frame burst errors).

Kevin Bradely mentions these in his study (p. 12&13) naming them also as BERL (burst error length).

Also found a cdfreaks.com review, where it’s described this way:

1. BERL ( Burst Error Length) , counts the number of consecutive blocks in error.
    (BLER and BERL determine the rate of error per second. BER determines the total count.).

AND WHAT’S MY PROBLEM:
I was unable to find any further information regarding this topic. Any standards, any definitions…? What is FBE/BERL? What does it mean - consecutive erroneus blocks - in this context? How many erroneus blocks does it require to define the error as FBE?

OR:

Is FBE just a CD media term alternative to DVD term PI Sum8 (although the cdfreaks review says it measures errors over time unlike PISum8, which doesn’t take time in consideration)? It’s just chaos in my head…

Appreciate any help, thanks a lot

(PS: Sorry for any grammatical mistakes, English’s not my mother tongue)

I think the correct term is BLER. FBE is somebody’s own acronym for the same thing. Have a look here:
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Print.aspx?ArticleId=6513

The article has some pretty good info and will answer some of your questions.

RM

Hi, thanks for answer. I guess I know what BLER is and I also know that that’s not what I’m looking for… Even the link to the article you provided me with makes a difference between BLER and BERL (=FBE according to Bradley’s study).

EDIT: IMHO FBE’s purpose is to observe severity of errors, since for example 9 errors in consecutive blocks are worse than 9 errors spread over wide area. This fact is not presented by BLER, since BLER measures just the sum of erroneous blocks per second (and it doesn’t say anything about the allocation and position).

I just can’t find anything futher concerning any concrete definition information. (is for i. FBE already 2 consecutive erroneous blocks or what’s the minimum etc.)

[I](moved to CD Freaks [I]‘Optical Storage Technical Discussions’[/I] forum…)[/I]

Yes, BLER and BERL are different.

BLER = The number of EFM frames that had an symbol error at the C1 decoder in 1 second.
BERL = The number of successive EFM frames that had 2 or more symbol errors at the C1 decoder.

Does this help?

RM

Thank you, it does help. That’s what I assumed, just needed another supporting opinion… Still need any reliable source to refer to.

EDIT: What I found in the article you provided:

“A Burst Error is defined as seven consecutive blocks in which the C1 decoding stage has detected an error.”

So I’m little confused again. I guess I’ll just describe the purpose of this error and mention that the exact numeric definitions vary.

fazool

I don’t see reference to BERL in the RED book version I have. It only seems to describe BLER. Not sure where the term BERL came from just yet. I’ll let you know if I figure it out.

RM

[QUOTE=RichMan;1950119]I don’t see reference to BERL in the RED book version I have. It only seems to describe BLER. Not sure where the term BERL came from just yet. I’ll let you know if I figure it out.

RM[/QUOTE]Maybe they misspelled it?

[QUOTE=rolling56;1950123]Maybe they misspelled it?[/QUOTE]

I don’t really think so. I’ve seen real life reference to both terms. Even industrial testers from companies like AudioDev, DaTARIUS, CD Associates, DCA etc… often show both parameters in some of their reports.

RM