What is currently the best protected DVD backup method/software?

I have a large collection of legally owed DVD’s that I would like to backup. Mainly the ones the kids watch a lot and are very likely to get damaged (some already have).

So… I want to back up protected DVD’s onto a single blank DVD - I realise most will need compressing. I am very experienced with computers etc, however I want EASY use AND best possible quality backups, so my partner can also do it and TBH I can’t be bothered to mess about these days - I just want the job done quickly, reliably and easily. I also want to retain all menu’s etc.

I have tried DVD X Copy Platinum, but due to legal reasons, it no longer has a ripper and is pretty much useless now.

I am looking at getting AnyCD with CloneDVD but have not tried them yet.

What do people think is the best software/method? I don’t mind buying the software - but want to make sure I make the best choice.

Many Thanks in advance

Use a ripper of your choice, i use DVD Decrypter, and Elby’s CloneDVD. It is quite user friendly and has decent quality output. See if it fits your needs.

The same as here > What is currently the best protected DVD backup method/software?

Originally posted by dominic_evans
[B]I have a large collection of legally owed DVD’s that I would like to backup. Mainly the ones the kids watch a lot and are very likely to get damaged (some already have).

So… I want to back up protected DVD’s onto a single blank DVD - I realise most will need compressing. I am very experienced with computers etc, however I want EASY use AND best possible quality backups, so my partner can also do it. Also, I can’t be bothered to mess about these days - I just want the job done quickly, reliably and easily. I also want to retain all menus’ etc.

I have tried DVD X Copy Platinum, but due to legal reasons, it no longer has a ripper and is pretty much useless now.

I am looking at getting AnyCD with CloneDVD but have not tried them yet.

What do people think is the best software/method? I don’t mind buying the software - but want to make sure I make the best choice.

Many Thanks in advance [/B]

I use any dvd and clone dvd and dvd shrink. It work perfect.
hope I help you

What exactly is DVD Shrink? Just a compressor? Do I need it if i get AnyDVD and CloneDVD? does cloneDVD not compress?

yes CloneDVD and Shrink both shrink and you wouldn’t need both. The go about shrinking with there proprietary transcoding methods. they are probably very close in quality. The person that does Shrink does Nero recode. I haven’t messed with Shrink much but I’d say CloneDVD 2 is a very easy menu to follow, but others say Shrink is easy too. Shrink is free and if you want something that does what AnyDVD does that’s free then there’s DVD Decrypter…so with Shrink you have a all free package. The easiest package to a complete newbie to me would be anyDVd and CloneDVD. Shrink or Nero Recode with deeep analysis may be a tad better in picture quality, but I really couldn’t swear by it and on a regular TV you probably would notice the difference.

Originally posted by Vanderlow
yes CloneDVD and Shrink both shrink and you wouldn’t need both. The go about shrinking with there proprietary transcoding methods. they are probably very close in quality. The person that does Shrink does Nero recode. I haven’t messed with Shrink much but I’d say CloneDVD 2 is a very easy menu to follow, but others say Shrink is easy too. Shrink is free and if you want something that does what AnyDVD does that’s free then there’s DVD Decrypter…so with Shrink you have a all free package. The easiest package to a complete newbie to me would be anyDVd and CloneDVD. Shrink or Nero Recode with deeep analysis may be a tad better in picture quality, but I really couldn’t swear by it and on a regular TV you probably would notice the difference.

I use sometime dvd shrink with nero and an other time clone dvd.
both are perfekt but with clone dvd you must have any dvd and with dvd shrink only a burning program

dominic_evans: don’t ask the same question in multiple forums. crossposting is against the rules, which you should’ve read already. i should close this thread; however, since this thread currently has more information than the one BoSkin provided, i’ll leave it open and let a Newbie Forum mod lock the other one.

dvd shrink is idiot proof and i’m an idiot :wink:

ps. you just need Nero 6 .
read the dvd movie disc, analyse dvd movie ,select dvd re- writer> back-up > 50- 90 mins shove in a blank dvd when requested > 40 mins aprox= :slight_smile:

http://www.dvdshrink.info/guides.php

Also some say that above 70% quality the two are about the same and in the 6*% the nod may go to Shrink/Recode 2, but your movie starts to suffer below 70% and then some swear by IC7 or IC8 in that range.

CloneDVD/AnyDVD is my method of choice (link to guide in my signature).
But I use DVD Shrink sometimes as well (there are guides to this in the transcoding forums).

I like AnyDVD/Nero Recode:D

DVDshrink and nero are by far the easiest.
If you have a DVD writer and seperate reader then put the original in the reader, a blank in the writer and press the backup button and its done an hour or so later.
You can also reduce the quality of the menus, adverts etc to give the main movie more memory.

MATT

crosspost here, i suggest that an admin merge the two threads.

Done :wink: