What is CloneDVD about?

Ill be glad to see the day that it will copy PS2 games
not necessarily 1:1 because thats impossible (thus far)
but at least an easier and or quicker way than the method avaliable today.

I can wait…:cool:

And good luck to you Olli on your efforts for the program. :smiley:

Olli, if you can pull this off, it would be a programming miracle.

No offense, but there “giants” of the industry who specialize in only one aspect of what (I think) you are trying to attempt.

Derrow knows IFO files.
TMPGEnc and Cinemacraft are known good MPEG2 encoders
DVD Decrypter does well with DVD ripping.
And many others (authoring DVD’s, AC3 recompression, etc…)

Are you saying you can do all that?.. and it will be in CloneDVD?

Robert

Originally posted by valnar
[B]Olli, if you can pull this off, it would be a programming miracle.

No offense, but there “giants” of the industry who specialize in only one aspect of what (I think) you are trying to attempt.

Derrow knows IFO files.
TMPGEnc and Cinemacraft are known good MPEG2 encoders
DVD Decrypter does well with DVD ripping.
And many others (authoring DVD’s, AC3 recompression, etc…)

Are you saying you can do all that?.. and it will be in CloneDVD?

Robert [/B]

Of course I can’t do this all alone! AFAIK there are at this very moment 6 other people working on it. And yes, CloneDVD will do it all (except AC3 recompression, I don’t think this is needed?).

“AFAIK” because I am not the project leader for CloneDVD. I am just one of the contributors (making it 7 in total). I am doing the drivers & “region killer” stuff, most likely the burn engine as well. Mabe I can convince them to include my “elby Tape” as well (the DVD on DAT Tape solution I use personally in my home cinema), but I don’t think I’ll succeed. I am very proud on this tape driver, but I usually get only a sorry smile if I mention it :slight_smile:

Mike (the CloneDVD project manager) thinks, that “tapes are ancient stuff, likely to vanish anyway, which nobody needs nowadays”. Maybe he is right. Although elbyTape is running 100% and plays music & Videos without jitter directly from a DDS4 Tape (boy, you get a lot of MP3s on one 20 GB DAT Tape, and usually 3-4 DVD Movies without recompression), it is a huge effort to make a “real” product out of it. Installers, manuals, help files, a Windows 9x port, I am drifting off topic, sorry…

All that, and you’ll still have time to improve the CCD-sheep profile into a one-button solution?

Kudos are in order…:bigsmile:

But will there ever be a software realesed to copy protected games on DVD 1:1 ?
Gräfdig

DVD writers need some new command sets before that makes any sense :slight_smile:

Originally posted by alexnoe
DVD writers need some new command sets before that makes any sense :slight_smile:

Depends on the protection, but on the PC there is a good chance to write a protection emulation layer.

Originally posted by MTR
[B]All that, and you’ll still have time to improve the CCD-sheep profile into a one-button solution?

Kudos are in order…:bigsmile: [/B]

Thanks. And unfortunately I am the project manager for MakeDisc, and this little beast is not really kicking off…

At the moment, CloneCD simply has a higher priority.

Well, to be honest it’s the same for most of us.:bigsmile: CloneCD is priority number one.
MakeDisc sounds promising, but that one button design is what I’m really looking forward to. Just don’t drown in the work. You’d be missed (for your work at least :wink: ).

@Olli: I was more aiming at 1:1 copies than on emulation :wink:

Originally posted by Olli

Mike (the CloneDVD project manager) thinks, that “tapes are ancient stuff, likely to vanish anyway, which nobody needs nowadays”. Maybe he is right. Although elbyTape is running 100% and plays music & Videos without jitter directly from a DDS4 Tape (boy, you get a lot of MP3s on one 20 GB DAT Tape, and usually 3-4 DVD Movies without recompression), it is a huge effort to make a “real” product out of it. Installers, manuals, help files, a Windows 9x port, I am drifting off topic, sorry…

Real time fast enough playback on DDS-4 ? Which SCSI is the minimum requirement ? :slight_smile:

If i had such a tape drive i’d be quite interested , but alas… they’re usually in servers only. Only got a DDS-1 :frowning:

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
[B]

Real time fast enough playback on DDS-4 ? Which SCSI is the minimum requirement ? :slight_smile:

If i had such a tape drive i’d be quite interested , but alas… they’re usually in servers only. Only got a DDS-1 :frowning: [/B]

Ha! Big mistake! You asked me about it! Now you have to read the blubber… :stuck_out_tongue:

I use an OEM HP-DAT40 drive (don’t now the model number, something HP’ish cryptic) which has wide SCSI, but I use it on the cheapest Symbios Logic 8 Bit PCI SCSI Controller I could find, and it is still much faster than needed. Works like a charm with DDS3 (12 GB) and DDS4 (20GB) Tapes, DDS2 is too slow, forget DDS1. Note that this HP drive is pretty fast even with DDS3, I don’t know if a HP DDS3 drive would be fast enough.

You need a sustained transfer rate of about 1 MByte/s uncompressed, this should be enough to watch a DVD in realtime from tape. Forget compression, the MPEG2 stream can’t be compressed any further with the in-built hardware compressor. The random access time is fine for watching, having three movies on one tape it needs about 1 Minute to seek to another movie. Much faster than VHS, and with better quality of course. Skipping chapers is a matter of seconds.

Only problem are random accessing menus back and forth, and the tape drive itself, which decides to clean its heads every 20 minutes of watching for about 30 seconds.

My wife constantly complained about the “30 seconds of picture freeze every 20 minutes” using more-or-less harsh words, so elbyTape got a “Media Mode”, which does not only cache all the DVD Menus, but does also read ahead caching, so it is no problem if the drive completely stops for several minutes. It uses temporary files on the harddisk for that.

elbyTape uses the NT/2000/XP tape drive interface, so it should work with every drive, which is supported by NT/2000/XP, if it can deliver the data fast enough.

Drawback - no 9x support (as long as this thing is no product and only for me, myself and I, no problem)

elbyTape can emulate a DVD-ROM, so any DVD player software (WinDVD, PowerDVD, Cinemaster, ZoomPlayer) plays directly from the tape. Some trickery had to be done, as random access is much slower than a real DVD-ROM and the requests tend to time out, but this problem is solved and this knowledge is very benificial for DVD Region Killer Pro.

(Maybe you can guess now where Virtual CloneDrive originated? I actually needed it for this purpose! It was only a small effort to adapt it and include it with CloneCD)

The real disadvantage is - who has a fast tape drive, or is willing to buy one to watch movies? And you can only watch on a Home Theater PC, the tiny DDS tapes won’t fit in a VHS deck :wink:
This is not a problem for me, I have a projector connected to the VGA output on my PC and the Digital Amplifier connected to the SPDIF output of the motherboard.

BTW, I use elbyTape to record digital Satellite programs as well. I use a DVB-S PCI card for this purpose. As DVB MPEG2 usually has a low transfer rate, I can record about 8 movies on a single tape.

I believe I am probably the only person on this planet who likes such strange things…

Oh dear, now you know what I do in my almost non existing spare time :wink:

Ah that’s what you’re doing when not waiting for food in a Thai restaurant :wink:

Hello, Olli!!!

Man, I like that idea with the backup tape! Man… I would pay for that software! I’m serious!

You could do a side projekt maybe? I’ll wich to se the program live! It would be intressting. For recording and playback it would be a very nice tool. And for home Video users it would be ideal if you don’t have to big harddrive and have a DDS-3 laying around. :slight_smile:

Could you do a screenshot maybe??? hehe =) please!

I want to se elbyTape! =) Slap you boss and say… - We need it as a smal bonus feature!!! =) And if that doesn’t work. Do a seperate project… ElbyTape!!! WROOOM!!!

But don’t overwork! Take time and rest… :slight_smile:

And good work with CloneCD by the way!

GO OLLI!!! GO OLLI!!! :smiley:

/Dyzan

edit

If you lock at the price on the DDS3 drive… A litle expansive. Cheaper with a new HD-drive. hehe =) But I like the idéa any way. It’s a “cool” status on that. :slight_smile: And for me, I got a DDS3 laying. So no problem for me. But for thouse who hasen’t. It would be expensive buy. Better buy a DVD-burner.

Actually, I have two of those tape drives from our two servers at work. We took them out when we upgraded to something even better. These got storered for a few months on a shelf so I asked the boss if I could make good use of them :slight_smile:

I’d LOVE to see this program released! :slight_smile:

this reminds me of using a standard vhs recorder as a tape archive for your computer data… never saw one , but i heard you could put a LOT of data on those VHS tapes.

anyhoo… i think it’s a very very weird , yet nice technology. dunno why you tried to make it (just to see if it was possible to use tapes on other things than data backupping ?).

20 gig of divx on a single tape… now there’s a thought :slight_smile:

Hi guys,
thought i would add my comments–
When the boyz at liteon produce a flying dvd writer and ollie hits the Button we will be flying!!

Reading some threads elsewhere there was @ 70 million divx downloads this year alone !! WOW theres a huge Market waiting to be hit here,Because i’m like alot of others at the moment divx rules until the right software and writer becomes available for the dvds.Just too god damn much peeeeing around at the moment to record / Backup dvds.

Anyway good look in your quest Ollie - get this one right then i think we will never see you again ,you’ll be tanning yourself somewhere nice @warm with the Babes.

:bow: Ollie :bow: :bigsmile:

@valnar

don’t talk about ac3 recompression…lol…you will ruin the nice stuff of ac3

(ps accept if it is 2 channel ac3…i don’t care…but normally i want to keep my 5.1)

@valnar

don’t talk about ac3 recompression…lol…you will ruin the nice stuff of ac3

(ps except if it is 2 channel ac3…i don’t care…but normally i want to keep my 5.1)

i hope they will add something like ifoedit…would be nice

I’m as all times Clone CD supporter for nearly five years up to now and I have a lot of confident with Clone CD which let me back up a lot of games which I couldn’t be with others programs and much easier to use. I also have a huge DVD movies collection which I bought from U.S. I had also tried to back it up from some others dvd back up programs but it took more than six hours including rip and burn. In some cases I gave up. Until I read this post about Clone DVD from the same creator of Clone CD. Unfortunately, Clone DVD is still far away of backing up movies or unable to do it. I’m very disappointed indeed. I wish one day Oilli will improve the capability of Clone DVD and make it happen one day. I know there are some programs out there already had some progress but I wait and see.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: