What is CloneDVD about?

vbimport

#1

Anybody has a clue what CloneDVD will do? Movies?


#2

Well … CloneCD clones CDs so, and I may be wrong here, but CloneDVD might (and this is a long shot) - Clone DVDs? - nah! :bigsmile:

Imagine the next gen ones:

Clone Blu-ray and Holo-Clone even CloneDNA (that one is still in early development I hear)


#3

Originally posted by HotBlack
Anybody has a clue what CloneDVD will do?
LMAO. That a good one.


#4

The question is not as stupid as it first seems.
If you look at a movie DVD-9 it is close to twice the size as a DVDR so it needs to be split or resized. While a DVD-5 movie is the same size as a DVDR
A PS2 DVD is a single layer DVD i think.
A X-Box DVD is dual layer i think.

I think CloneDVD will be targetted to do one type of DVD:s.

Hopefully it will be for movies.
Most ways to backup a DVD-9 movie seems very complicated with 4-5 different progs with a lot of settings.
So if Ollie is developing a one button soloution for that at least I will buy a DVD burner.

So anybody who knows?


#5

this would have to be one of the stupidist things i’ve heard
what do you think CLONE DVD DOES or will do


#6

@Slayerking

I will not try to insult you to get even.

Do you mean that it is totally clear that it will do DVD movies then?


#7

im not trying to insult you dont you think something named clone dvd will clone dvd’s:confused:


#8

ofcourse it will clone DVD:s! But what kind of DVD:s. To my knowledge they differ.
As I wrote it is differences in the DVD format.


#9

Originally posted by HotBlack
ofcourse it will clone DVD:s! But what kind of DVD:s. To my knowledge they differ.
As I wrote it is differences in the DVD format.

The first release will be tuned for movies. What makes it different from similar programs is its ability to real-time recompress on standard CPUs (1 GHz), so you don’t need to split, and you don’t need to wait hours… The picture quality is still very good.

As of today, it can’t copy X-BOX and PS2 discs. I know too little about these formats yet.


#10

Thx for the answer Olli!

i think it is a good segment to develop a program in.
From what I have got to understand backup:ing a DVD movie is close to programming a spaceshuttle before takeoff.
So a good and solid CloneDVD will presumably sell very well.


#11

hai die hai,

whell dat CloneDVD doens’t see or recognize my DVD player’s nor the burner!!:frowning:

only the cd players :frowning:


#12

well there you go a response from the man himself KING OLLI!


#13

@ slayerking

yes, it was very nice! Next question is when it will be released.

@ Majapro

CloneDVD is not released yet.


#14

Originally posted by HotBlack
[B]@ slayerking

yes, it was very nice! Next question is when it will be released.

[/B]

I am careful not to nail myself with a fixed date, but I would estimate March 2003.
There is still a lot of work to do…


#15

maybe I should play on horses or lottery today, I seem to be lucky today!

To press my luck further: will it offer possibilties to remove subtitles, extra scenes and different languages to save space so the compression dont have to be as big?
Will it keep Dolby 5.1?
Will it support both DVD-R and DVD+R?
For myself I dont care if some movies will lack in quality, especially the children movies, which also is most important to backup.
While some I wont have less quality on, Lord of The Rings e.tc.


#16

Don’t really want to answer on behalf of Olli , but i think the purpose will be the same as it is in the development of Clone CD.

That is , to with as little effort and editing possible , to make an exact replica of a dvd.

I’m for one thing interested in the Region Code and Region Code Enhancement “tricks” Clone DVD might have , since movie dvd’s won’t let them copy without stripping those things first.

Because , if you strip all this , you don’t have an exact replica anymore and therefore the end written product will be a violation of copyright laws , not to speak of the DMCA which is getting more and more influence inside western europe’s countries.

But as stated , the original dvd will be edited and modified , simply because you can’t put a DVD9 on a DVD-R/+R/-RW/+RW.
I wonder how copyright issues will be solved…


#17

Originally posted by Olli
[B]

The first release will be tuned for movies. What makes it different from similar programs is its ability to real-time recompress on standard CPUs (1 GHz), so you don’t need to split, and you don’t need to wait hours… The picture quality is still very good.

As of today, it can’t copy X-BOX and PS2 discs. I know too little about these formats yet. [/B]

Hi Olli :slight_smile:

Maybe I do an error. But this new software didn’t seem to be a 1:1 copy program (like CloneCD). It seems to be a progam which is able to compress DVD Video (as divx codecs for example) no ?

I am not specialist in DVD software (I prefere burning CD program :stuck_out_tongue: ) but CloneDVD will be similar to DaVideo (http://www.chip.de/produkte_tests/produkte_tests_218760.html ) or DVD Cloner / DVDXCopy ? :confused: ( http://www.cdfreaks.com/news2.php3?ID=5257 )

Thanks in advance. :wink:

SEB


#18

Originally posted by SEB [BH]
[B]

Hi Olli :slight_smile:

Maybe I do an error. But this new software didn’t seem to be a 1:1 copy program (like CloneCD). It seems to be a progam which is able to compress DVD Video (as divx codecs for example) no ?

I am not specialist in DVD software (I prefere burning CD program :stuck_out_tongue: ) but CloneDVD will be similar to DaVideo (http://www.chip.de/produkte_tests/produkte_tests_218760.html ) or DVD Cloner / DVDXCopy ? :confused: ( http://www.cdfreaks.com/news2.php3?ID=5257 )

Thanks in advance. :wink:

SEB [/B]

Hi Seb,

it’ll be both. You can copy DVDs 1:1 (which are not CSS protected), e.g. PC Software which comes on DVD.
But the real cool part is the Movie stuff. Similar to DaVideo on DVD, yes, but much faster when it comes to re-encoding, if the movie doesn’t fit on the media. VERY MUCH FASTER.
It will not copy movies on CD (DivX /VCD/ SVCD). It will only copy movies on DVD.


#19

Hi,
I have been reading from the thread. You guys seem to know a lot about DVD copying. Two weeks ago, I bought a Pioneer dvr-104. And I was a complete moron knowing nothing about DVD-R or DVD+R. I bought fifty DVD+R blank discs only to find they were no use for my Pioneer. I hadn’t made any good copy of my DVD movies until I found that I had to use other stripping and editing programs to do the job. Now I am getting good at it. But it really takes a long time to copy a DVD. So I am really looking forwards to CloneDVD. Please save us, Olli!


#20

Originally posted by Olli
[B]

Hi Seb,

it’ll be both. You can copy DVDs 1:1 (which are not CSS protected), e.g. PC Software which comes on DVD.
But the real cool part is the Movie stuff. Similar to DaVideo on DVD, yes, but much faster when it comes to re-encoding, if the movie doesn’t fit on the media. VERY MUCH FASTER.
It will not copy movies on CD (DivX /VCD/ SVCD). It will only copy movies on DVD. [/B]

OK thank you :slight_smile: