What is called Coaster Burn?

vbimport

What is it? I am quite new to DVD burning…
I have burned around 30 DVDs…
N today a media I burned… Which is a RICHO media but it is a CMC dye…
There is a visible line from the inner of the DVD until the outer of the DVD… N the color is almost the same as the non-burned area… Is that called Coaster?

A coaster means “an unreadable disc.”

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=coaster

So what is the line on my DVD burned?

A circular line may be due to a short-term laser power adjustment (DVDs often have circles of varying shades/reflectivity because of normal power changes during burning). A radial line is most likely a dye defect from the manufacturing process.

It is a line from the inner side of the DVD to almost the outer side of the DVD…
So it is a dye defect?

Such a disc is considered a bad burn?

That is considered as a bad “disc”. The quality of the burn can be determined with PIF/PIE scans if it’s readable.

Run a quality test as described in this thread:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=96285

It will show how many (hopefully, correctable) errors are introduced in the reading process and where the disc is on a scale between a perfect burn and a coaster.

This is the line I am referring to…
The scan is quite slow…

How is it?

I never saw something like this before. =\ The scan is also bad… so throw the disc away… and reburn.

Yeah… This is what I am gonna do… Too bad… I went to buy media yesterday…
There were two RICOH 8X, one +R and another one -R… I was wondering which one is true RICOH n which one is CMC… So I bought two…
Went back home n tested… +R is RICHOJPN 02… -R is CMC… I get good quality scan on RICOHJPN media… While this CMC makes my drive go haywired… Another thing to note… When using RICOHJPN to burn my data… 8X takes around 8 mins which I think is normal… While CMC takes 10 mins plus which I think is… CRAZY… Is CMC really that BAD? Oh well… I only have 6 CMC left… It’s fine…

Lol … that much damage … but the disk is still readable :slight_smile: (no PO errors)

But what the hell that line is? I have 2 CMC burned like this…

no idea … its probably a manufacturing defect, but it completely like any defect I have ever seen.

I believe they’re called “coasters” because, when they’re really bad, you might as well use them as a coaster to set your cold drinks on because that’s all they’re good for. :slight_smile:

Cool! 100,000 PIF but still no POF. This is probably a record. :slight_smile:

I guess it’s a dye defect. But make sure your hair isn’t in the drive. :bigsmile: