What is bitsetting?

vbimport

Hi!
I keep reading in this forum about “bitsetting”. What is it and where is it usefull?

Athan

Hi and welcome to the forums.
First you should always try the search function before posting a new thread.

About your question:
“Bitsetting program
This tool allows you to burn your DVD+R discs with the DVD-ROM book type. Why would you want to do that? Well some set top DVD players as well as the xbox/ps2 will not read DVD+R discs. This usually isn’t because they can’t read them, but because the manufacturer set the player to block the +R book type! This tool will greatly increase compatibility with more set top DVD players.”

Found over search in this thread.

I have some general questions about bitsetting.

1. Bitsetting with Nero DiscSpeed is a permanent action? All discs that will be written after setting Book Type once, will have this Book Type? I mean this setting is applied to the disc inserted or to all recordings untill I change it again?

2. If I change Book Type to DVD-ROM and write multisession DVD±Rs will I be able to continue writing to these discs? Will I have to change Book Type to DVD±R first, or is it impossible to continue?

[QUOTE=mkyriakid;2242587]I have some general questions about bitsetting.

1. Bitsetting with Nero DiscSpeed is a permanent action? All discs that will be written after setting Book Type once, will have this Book Type? I mean this setting is applied to the disc inserted or to all recordings untill I change it again?

2. If I change Book Type to DVD-ROM and write multisession DVD±Rs will I be able to continue writing to these discs? Will I have to change Book Type to DVD±R first, or is it impossible to continue?[/QUOTE]

3. This [B]always[/B] depends on the writer/firmware combination used.

4. Never tried that, but if the drive supports that DVD-ROM setting, it should work. But, IMHO, Multisession DVD is useless and not reliable anyway…

Thanks!

[QUOTE=chef;2243089]Multisession DVD is useless and not reliable anyway…[/QUOTE]
A lot of people here keep saying that, but it is not true. Multisession comes in handy when you receive a ton of DVDs for plain data transfer and instead of discarding them you can reburn them to share data (because FDDs belong to their owners but DVDs can always change hands). It happens to me all the time.