What is bitSetting?

vbimport

Hey all, I have a pioneer DVR-109.

Anyway I am only new to this forum and I have read that when burning +R DVD’s that there is something about a bitsetting?

What is this and what do I need to do? I don’t have a clue to be honest.

The 109 with Pioneer firmware only allows bitsetting of double layer (DVD+R9) media - as this is pretty well essential to enable playback in most standard DVD Players.

Some drives, and the 109 with Buffalo firmware, allow bitsetting of DVD+R and +RW

Unless you have a player that cannot recognise DVD+R(9) media, it’s not something you need to do, especially as to apply it to anything other than DL media, you’d have to crossflash the drive to the appropriate Buffalo firmware (warranty voided!)

Bitsetting changes the booktype to DVD-ROM, otherwise it matches the media type, so it will be seen as DVD-ROM by many devices - enabling it to work in some that were designed before DVD+R.

Oh ok, so I only have to worry about it when I burn a DVD+R(9), and when that time occurs what do I do then?

No, you do not need to do anything. If burning a Dual layer (DL 9) disc the burner will automatically change the booktype during burning so you will not even notice it being done. The burner also automatically changes booktype to DVD-ROM for SL and RW media if the buffalo firmware is flashed. No user interaction needed, simple and effective.

Cool, thanks everyone…

Bitsetting is basically the ability to make the drive recognize a single-layer media as a DVD-ROM instead of the DVD+/- R it really is. However, if you get a good player, you don’t need to do this. I’ve found on my quality burn scans that using the bitsetting option on your burns increases PIF errors by 2-5X. While they are still far below the 4 max one should have and the avg. is still low, still…fewer errors are better. I have a Panasonic S25S and it plays everything with no problem. I imagine its newer brother (S27S) is even better at progressive scan and certainly as good. :slight_smile:

I’ve found on my quality burn scans that using the bitsetting option on your burns increases PIF errors by 2-5X

bitsetting should not affect quality scans like this, are you positive this is caused by bitsetting?

Yup, in this case something else must be fishy.