What is better in terms of EMF emission a LCD or a Plasma TV. I want less EMFs

I would like to purchase either a flat screen plasma or lcd tv and would like to know which type emits the fewest EMFs.

The only sets that emit EMF are CRT, which are almost all gone. Both Plasma and LCD do not employ EM fields to direct electron beams so any field meter will read background EM when near the screen. But since it uses current there will be about as much EM as your average 100 Watt light bulb.

:cool::cool:

Almost every conceivable object has an Electromagnetic Field, since this is one of the fundamental forces of nature. Visible light as well as heat are examples of Electromagnetic Fields of different frequencies/wavelengths.

So unless you know what kind of frequencies/wavelengths you care about, the total EMF is dictated by the total power usage of the object (in this case the television) and Plasma Televisions usually draw more power and thus generate more EMF, mainly in the form of heat and some light.

An old CRT would also generate quite a bit of electrostatic field as well as magnetic field.

Welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Sodeara;2257524]I would like to purchase either a flat screen plasma or lcd tv and would like to know which type emits the fewest EMFs.[/QUOTE] May i ask why EMF ratings are so important for you?

Apart from LED backlit LCD displays, the vast majority are backlit by fluorescent lights, so if you or the person concerned does not have any issue with fluorescent lighting (including CFL energy saving bulbs), an LCD TV is unlikely going to be a problem, as the LCD panel itself gvies negligable radiation of any sort.

Plasma displays use phosphors in much the same way as CRT TVs, but use UV light instead of an electron beam to cause the individual phosphors to fluorescence. To produce the electron beam in a CRT, a very high voltage is required (~25,000 volts) and the CRT also uses magnets to move the beam left/right and up/down to “scan” each frame, which causes much stronger electric and magnetic fields than most other types of displays.

If you’re really concerned about EMF, probably the safest option would be an LED backlit LCD display in my opinion.

[QUOTE=Seán;2257985]…If you’re really concerned about EMF, probably the safest option would be an LED backlit LCD display in my opinion.[/QUOTE]:iagree:

With all respects to sensetive mebers and EFM (electromagnetic fields) but energy saving must be the priority.

Yes, in my family we have both plasma and lcd tv’s, but then maybe lcd might transfer more efm then the lcd.
But still the 50" Sammy plasma TV is on its’ way out. Simply because of energy cost, (hmm that TV is not even 2y lod).

BTW, eu members can google for "2004/40/, htthttp://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2004:184:0001:0009:EN:PDFp://.

Yes, EVERY electrical device generates some levels of EMF emissions…and I can positively confirm LCD’s are ‘far’ less than CRT’s (I don’t own a plasma, so no comment there).

My 24" Computer monitor (Samsung 245BW) reads 8-10 milligauss in the center tapering down to 1-2 in the corners/perimeter in front of the monitor.
This is 1" from the face of the monitor. At 8-9" distance (center) it drops to less than 1 milligauss!

The rear is approx. 2x the front readings.

Compare this to my previous Samsung 955DF CRT (great monitor for 5 years by the way) and the readings where 5 to 8x vs my LCD. With the rear of the monitor being the biggest problem, 3 to 5x the front!

Tested with an ‘AMPROBE PY-17’ Electromagnetic field meter, for those interested.

Knowledge is power…

[QUOTE=Sodeara;2257524]I would like to purchase either a flat screen plasma or lcd tv and would like to know which type emits the fewest EMFs.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you are worried about electrical noise & Harmonics injected back through the electrical wiring?

EMF from a TV at any substantial difference will be negligible.