What is Best File Type For Backing up/Saving Videos?

vbimport

If I want to back up (archive) a DVD video to my computer (Windows 10), is it better to store it as a .ISO file or as a TS_VIDEO file……or does it matter? Both types take up about the same amount of disk space and if I need to burn a copy, IMGBURN can use either type as input.

If you are just using it as an archive, it doesn’t matter that much. If you are going to burn back to a disc at some point, then I’d go with the ISO file that saves the entire structure of the original disc. But again, I must emphasize, it doesn’t make a great deal of difference.

If you are going to play from the hard drive, make sure to use something that recognizes ISO files, or be able to mount them before using a software player (Windows 8 and 10 can mount them natively).

That said, most of the movies I have on the hard drive are in folder format. Very few DVD’s anymore, but lots of Blu-ray. I play them with Media Player Classic Home Cinema most of the time and bypass the menus.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2782650]If you are just using it as an archive, it doesn’t matter that much. If you are going to burn back to a disc at some point, then I’d go with the ISO file that saves the entire structure of the original disc. But again, I must emphasize, it doesn’t make a great deal of difference.

If you are going to play from the hard drive, make sure to use something that recognizes ISO files, or be able to mount them before using a software player (Windows 8 and 10 can mount them natively).

That said, most of the movies I have on the hard drive are in folder format. Very few DVD’s anymore, but lots of Blu-ray. I play them with Media Player Classic Home Cinema most of the time and bypass the menus.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response and info!

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2782650]If you are just using it as an archive, it doesn’t matter that much. If you are going to burn back to a disc at some point, then I’d go with the ISO file that saves the entire structure of the original disc. But again, I must emphasize, it doesn’t make a great deal of difference.

That said, most of the movies I have on the hard drive are in folder format. Very few DVD’s anymore, but lots of Blu-ray. I play them with Media Player Classic Home Cinema most of the time and bypass the menus.[/QUOTE]
But should mention better get 8tb HDD for doing this as BD ISO is doing to take up more space then DVD ISO but either case expect to have 8tb HDD drives ready if you want to keep ISO ready watch. Unless they are 8tb SSD then I am all for it… :stuck_out_tongue:

^I think I have one BD ISO file that I keep around for testing purposes when I check playback of various software players.

The rest are Blu-ray in folder format, where I’ve already stripped out the menu, extras and extraneous sound tracks. They are considerably smaller than ISO’s. I only have about 2.4TB of Blu-rays on the hard drives, and probably 235gb in other formats, like MKV and MP4.