What is basic difference between engineers and Technicians

vbimport

what is basic difference between engineers and technicians and what are the basic ways to learn home appliance maintenance tacts

[QUOTE=znshaikh26;2526522]what is basic difference between engineers and technicians and what are the basic ways to learn home appliance maintenance tacts[/QUOTE]

Your local library has manuals on applicances where you can read on how to fix and how to repair them. They both learn the same subjects is that one is hands on and the other is more math and paperwork besides the pay scale. Technicians to me would be more better at repairs and fixing then engineers.

Thanks a lot coolcolors for answering my question.
bundle of thanks
yes you are right

[QUOTE=znshaikh26;2526522]what is basic difference between engineers and technicians and what are the basic ways to learn home appliance maintenance tacts[/QUOTE]

An engineer takes more math courses in the process of getting his college degree.

the fact that he HAS a degree is mostly proof that he can drink all night and spout bullshit back at his instructors in the day.

If you want something designed that probably won’t work you get an engineer.

If you want it to work you have a technician looking over his shoulder.

If you want something fixed for the love of god don’t let an engineer get between you and a soldering iron.

As most here can likely tell I’m a technician. and I only associate with engineers who think poorly of most of their degreed brethern…

Frankly I think there are good engineers, but they are a minority <10%

AD

I do take a small exception to the definition stated above. Being a "Broadcast Engineer/Recording Engineer,TECHNICIAN for more than 45 years I have had to do most everything a degreed engineer does (have that status as well). I am a hands on type from Jr High School on. Love to think out a problem and solve it as a repair. Then again I have designed equipment. What does the degree get you-more money and status a lot of the time. I do agree that many are not working in the real world. Knowledge can be good if used by those who understand it.
Has anyone wondered out loud why car repair manuals are written the way they are? Think and you will discover that they are, in some cases, assembly manuals in reverse. Having also been a tech writer-I do know that as fact.
Problem solving is not just for college graduates-technicians are taught this too.

Why take offense when your comments specifically exclude yourself from my definition?

Frankly what I take offense to is some frat boy with a newly printed piece of paper that states that he already knows it all…

I think we lost something really important when we did away with aprenticeships.

I think someone employed as an automotive engineer should work for 5years as a dealer mechanic FIRST.

It is almost as offensive is an old fart (bear in mind I’m 48) that will cheerfully claim that he has 20 years of experience
when he really only has six months of experience 40 times:)

People too easily fall into self-dilusional traps, when those dilusions become group dilusions and society starts making decisions based on them you have a real problem.

AD

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2526965]Frankly what I take offense to is some frat boy with a newly printed piece of paper that states that he already knows it all…[/quote] Strangely enough only die hard old farts say such comments. :slight_smile: Why not give the boy a chance to shine. If he doesn’t, you can all point and laugh at him. :slight_smile:

Ever saw that episode of Deadliest Catch about the captains son that wanted to go along crab fishing? That guy got owned a lot, but in the end proved he would be a valuable worker for the crew.

I think we lost something really important when we did away with aprenticeships.
Perhaps, it was also waaaay slower process.

I think someone employed as an automotive engineer should work for 5years as a dealer mechanic FIRST.
I agree on these things. Most people i work with hardly saw the inside of a computer, but have degrees higher than myself (which is not that hard).

It is almost as offensive is an old fart (bear in mind I’m 48) that will cheerfully claim that he has 20 years of experience
when he really only has six months of experience 40 times:)
Problem is that society sets impossible demands. Wanted : Young fellow who just got out of school willing to earn practically nothing for long hours of work, must have had 10 years experience at the job and know everything.

I guess my definition is simple:
An engineer is given an idea of what someone wants designed. He attempts to design that item & it is supposed to work like designed.
The technician has to be able to get the item to work & keep it working if possible.
I have read many auto repair manuals & most have far to little information & detail.
Even less when it comes to electronic circuits.

Hmm, I would say that an engineers main focus when “fixing” is the cause of the issue itself. For a technician, the main focus is getting the system to work again, whether that means finding a workaround or taking a deeper look into the cause (as the engineer first does). An engineer would say “It should work.” A technician would say “I’m going to see if it works… Oh yes, it works.” There you see that the engineer believes in his theory and methods, while the technician is more hands on and tests the functionality of the system.