What is ASPI?

I have seen information that these drivers have been updated and i wondered is this something only some drives have? (ie. only certain brand… like adaptec only?) or is it something universal, that should be updated by everyone who has a burner.

i ask because i dont know if ishould download it or not, it seems like everyone else knows so this must be really obvious

FYI- My burner is a yamaha 2200e (20x10x40)

thanks

The search does wonders for a person:

ASPI ?? What are it?

Aspi

Which ASPI version ?

Next time, please put in a little effort of your own…

ASPI stands for Advanced SCSI Programming Interface.

Originally developed by Adaptec. It is a software layer that enables programs to communicate with SCSI (and ATAPI) devices.

The ASPI drivers allow CDDA32 and DAT2WAV the ability to talk to the CDROM/DAT drives. Between Microsoft and Adaptec, the ASPI driver situation is completely screwed up. There are more versions of the ASPI32 drivers available than you can count.

The four files needed for WinNT are the following:
(example: WINNT is the WindowsNT home directory)
WINNT\SYSTEM\WINASPI.DLL
WINNT\SYSTEM\WOWPOST.EXE
WINNT\SYSTEM32\WNASPI32.DLL
WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ASPI32.SYS

The four files needed for Win95/98 are the following:
(example: WIN95 is the Windows95 home directory)
WIN95\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS\APIX.VXD
WIN95\SYSTEM\WINASPI.DLL
WIN95\SYSTEM\WNASPI32.DLL
and ONE of the following two files
WIN95\SYSTEM\ASPIENUM.VXD (this is the file that comes from Adaptec)
WIN95\SYSTEM\ASPI2HLP.SYS (this is the file that comes with Win95)

In order to use SCSI devices under Win95, you must have ASPI drivers installed. On a generic Win95/98 install, there will be ASPI drivers from Microsoft automatically installed for you.

If you have an Adaptec SCSI card and you don’t have any ATAPI drives, it doesn’t hurt to update the ASPI drivers for Win95/98 with the upgraded drivers from the Adaptec web site. WARNING: using these ASPI drivers to upgrade your machine will disable the ability of any software to talk to ATAPI drives. You can get the Adaptec drivers from : http://www.adaptec.com/support/files/upgrades.html

In order to use CDDA32 with ATAPI drives under Win95/98, you must have ASPI drivers installed. On a generic Win95/98 install, there will be ASPI drivers from Microsoft automatically installed for you. The ASPI drivers that Adaptec has on their web site now DO NOT allow CDDA32 to talk to ATAPI drives. If you update the Microsoft ASPI drivers with the drivers from Adaptec’s site, you will lose the ability to use ATAPI drives with CDDA32.

Some machines can talk to the drives using the old MSCDEX interface which is a mode that seems to work better on a small number of machines. It is almost impossible to guess which machines will and won’t work other than checking the version number of a driver file: win/system/iosubsys/scsi1hlp.vxd If it is version 4.00.950 then it might work, but if it is a version like 4.00.1111 or higher then they cannot use the MSCDEX interface. We’re told that you can download the ‘good’ driver from the following site: ftp://ftp.sony.com/ccpg/pc/scsi1hlp.exe or something close to that.

Today , the best writer software have their own aspi drivers or better methods of communicating (Patin Coffin for instance).

Thank you, Mr. Belvedere. :slight_smile:

TheNate04,

As stated, most new major software doesn’t require ASPI drivers with Win2000 or WinXP. There are still a number of smaller burning programs and utilities that require ASPI, but unless you are using them or have a problem you may not even need to install the ASPI drivers.

Take a look at the CD Freaks news page on ASPI drivers version v4.71.2 and read the reactions. A number of the programs requiring ASPI are mentioned, so if you use any of these programs you will want to install ASPI.

Based of the feedback from people who report problems with the recent ASPI versions released by Adaptec, I wouldn’t recommend these versions (v4.70, 4.71, 4.71.2) on the Adaptec site. They seem to be tailored for Adaptec SCSI products and maybe not for generic IDE drives. In any event, if you need ASPI drivers this is my recommendation:

Make sure that the ASPI layer is properly installed. Go to cyrus-troy Downloads and download the ASPI Check and Force ASPI programs.

Run ASPI Check to see if the installation is properly installed and is version 4.60 (1021). If this is not the case, unzip (extract) ForceASPI, read the Index.htm file carefully, and run the program. ForceASPI will repair and properly install the current ASPI layer.

Reboot, run ASPI Check again, and if correct, burn away.

The older Adaptec v4.60 (1021) still seems to be the most stable and reliable version for IDE devices. :wink: