What Is A Better DVD Speed For Burning?

vbimport

Im contemplating on 8x or 16x DVDs. What is the best?

Are you asking about the best disks to get or the best speed to burn them at?

Taiyo Yuden 8x +R and Verbatim 8x and 16x are probably the most recommended media around here.

You can burn any of those at 8x and get good results. The Verbatim 16x you can probably even push to 12x if you like, though I don’t see the point.

If you are using crappy media, like some store brands, you should burn at half their rated speed and see if you get anything worthwhile.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2014378]Are you asking about the best disks to get or the best speed to burn them at?

Taiyo Yuden 8x +R and Verbatim 8x and 16x are probably the most recommended media around here.

You can burn any of those at 8x and get good results. The Verbatim 16x you can probably even push to 12x if you like, though I don’t see the point.

If you are using crappy media, like some store brands, you should burn at half their rated speed and see if you get anything worthwhile.[/QUOTE]

Well, do you have a recommended exact brand and model? And, do you recommend 8x over 16x?

I know some of the junk (value line) I wont buy, but I need to order today and want to know the best for the money.

look in the blank media section of the forum and you will see lots of threads and posts saying what is good and what is not. But taiyo yuden verbatim are good ones to get.

But is 8x better than 16x?

I have pretty much settled on two types of media. Taiyo Yuden 8x +R mid code Yuden 000T02 and Verbatim 16x +R MCC004. I burn everything at 8x. When buying online I get the TY from rima.com or supermediastore.com Buying in local stores, I get Verbatim and make sure to get the ones made in Taiwan.

Those two types of blank media are very high quality, and are widely used by the regulars here at cdfreaks. I believe they are the safest choices for getting good quality disks. They are not the only good disks however.

Many people prefer -R disks for whatever reason. And different countries have slightly different suppliers, and inventory. You won’t get an absolute answer saying THIS ONE is the best.

As to your question about 8x vs 16x…it depends on the media. TY 8x has a better rep around here than the TY 16x. Opinions on Verbatim differ a bit according to the individual. Again, you aren’t going to get a definitive, absolute answer to this.

Singerjohn, if you are using good media then I do not think the rated burn speed of 8x or 16x makes any difference. Just stay away from the MII “made in india” discs.

I bought Verbatim 16x so I guess we’ll see what happens

It also depends on your burner. One size does not fit all. Check the CDFreaks reviews and see if yours is listed and what media burned the best.

Singerjohn, I not know if you read the blank media forum yet but I learned a lot of stuff that I never knew about blank dvd discs from reading other people`s threads and posts.

The blank media section rocks! Learned alot from that area and the people are very informative and are very quick to help. Some burners react differently with different media, in my experience, trial and error is the only way I think you can figure out ur burners characteristics with different media and speeds, etc…