What have you personally found to be the BEST way to CLEAN your discs?

What have you personally found to be the BEST way to CLEAN your discs?

(This can apply to audio CDs, DVD Movies, CD/DVD based game system discs, etc.)

HI :slight_smile: I really want to know how you all clean your discs (either when you first get them or for some kind of regular or non regular maintenance, if they don’t work and you need to try cleaning it or even if you just want to get any dust off of them :wink:

Mainly, I want to know what you do regarding getting smudges/fingerprints and MOST importantly every single piece of dust/dirt off the bottom (and /or top) of the disc or at least as close as possible ;-).

So what is your personal disc cleaning method? (please be as thorough and specific as possible in your description and in which items you use :slight_smile:

Thanks!

MicroFiber cloth, wipe from the center to the rim (not around) and a drop of water, if needed.

Greetings!

I’m sure some will take great exception to this, but I use rubbing alcohol (70%) and the softest cloth I can find. Old used baby diapers work great if you can find some. I haven’t tried this, but it has occurred to me that glasses cleaning cloths would probably work great too. Surely if these are safe for expensive prescription lenses they ought to be ok for CD’s/DVDs? You can purchase them at Wal Mart optical for around $1.00.

I just put some alcohol in a spray bottle, squirt a couple of squirts on and wipe it off, always rubbing, as olyteddy said, from the center to the outside, and never around in a circle. It may take a couple of applications if the fingerprints/smudges are heavy. This seems to work fine for the cover side as well as the play side too.

Some will say that rubbing alcohol is far too harsh, and I’m no expert to refute the matter. It’s just what I use, and I’ve never had any trouble.

I own a lot of CDs that I purchased used, at pawn shops, over the years, and you’d be amazed at how messy some are. You’d swear that some people must use their CDs for dinner plates, or something. A dry cloth, or even a cloth with a bit of water just wouldn’t be enough here. You need the alcohol to cut the grease.

Of course, if it’s just dust, I should think a good soft cloth, with perhaps a drop, or two, of water would be fine, and if you’re really serious, distilled water.

Discs go bad. Rip to your hard drive and shelf till needed.

I will have to remember the alcohol trick. Here’s the thing, about 99% of all “dirt”, on a cd or otherwise, is either water based or oil based and most are water based. So water, or soap and water will eliminate them. If its gooey, it may be an oil based issue. In that case, use any oil based item. Lighter fluid is an oil based cleaner, but anything that is oil based will clean an oil problem.
When the cd\dvd is simply dirty with water based issues i put a bit of liquid hand soap on it and clean with tissue paper, across the media, not around in circles. When cleaned off i dry it by blotting and wiping across the media with tissue paper. Dont use paper towels or cheap toilet paper, they are too hard and may scratch, use tissue paper or, to dry them off, use an optical cloth or any material that is real soft. Baby diapers, if not too worn, are good too. Microfibre cloths, any soft cloth, just wipe gently across the cd\dvd, not around in circles.
Before inserting a cd\dvd in the drive, i make sure my hands are clean and take my middle finger and gently slide my finger across the cd\dvd to take off any lint, same thing when i am going to burn a cd\dvd. This lint wont come off with a cloth, a clean finger is the best way to make sure its clean before a burn or before using the cd\dvd. The finger must be clean as, of course, our bodies have natural oils in and on them, so the finger must have been washed, lol. Anyway, this prevents buildup of lint in the cd\dvd player.

doug-d1 / ALL -

Couple of questions :slight_smile: :

1. I don’t really seem to have any really soft cloths just hanging around my house :wink: Can you suggest a KIND /type of cloth or even a specific one I could buy online? (besides baby diapers :wink:

2. Where do you buy a spray bottle like the one you personally use to hold and spray the rubbing alcohol on the disc? (doug-D1)

3. Do you mix the Rubbing Alcohol (70%) with any water to spray discs? (doug-D1 and anyoene who wants to answer :slight_smile:

4. How does your method (rubbing alcohol plus cloth) work for removing surface DUST/particles on a disc? (ones that aren’t STUCK to the disc per se but are just kinda sitting on its surface :wink: (doug-D1 /ALL)

nork -

“Before inserting a cd\dvd in the drive, i make sure my hands are clean and take my middle finger and gently slide my finger across the cd\dvd to take off any lint”

O_O That sounds kinda scary ;-D would a finger inside a latex free / powder free disposable glove work for doing that also? (I’m not brave enough to do that with a bare finger :wink:

i would say got to rite/aid, or any other store similar to it, CVS, walgreens, go to their hair care section or their travel size items section they will have small bottles

And go to the Car Parts store for MicroFiber cloths. I got my pack of two (a lifetime supply) for about $5.

Well, you know, while the internet is a great shopping resource, some things are just more easily procured locally. I would try the lens cleaning cloth I mentioned earlier from a local Wal Mart in the optical department, or probably any place where they sell prescription glasses, or the micro fiber cloth from a car parts store, like olyteddy suggested.

As to spray bottles, I actually got mine in a CD cleaning kit I purchased from a CD store, years ago. and I just refilled it when it was empty. The kit came with a bunch of tissue like paper, and this bottle. Either I never looked before, or I had forgotten, but the back label on this bottle confirms it was filled with isopropyl alcohol, although it does not mention the percentage of concentration.

If you don’t want to purchase a CD cleaning kit to get a little bottle, and they really over priced for what you get, I have seen fairly small spray bottles in beauty supply stores like Sally Beauty Supply, and I wouldn’t be surprised if places carry like Wal Mart carry them also.

If, for some reason you simply must purchase these things via the internet, by putting lens cleaning cloth in Google I found quite a few listings selling mostly micro fiber cloths, and small spray bottle yielded a couple of placed to buy one of these. Remember, shipping is likely to eat you alive on these small items though.

I use the 70% rubbing alcohol just as it comes out of the bottle. I don’t dilute it any further, and it seems to work just fine.

As far as dust, rubbing alcohol works just fine, as would, I suspect, distilled water. For dust, it’s just a matter of getting the cloth damp so the dust will stick to it instead of tending to just be pushed around on the disk.

olyteddy / ALL -

“And go to the Car Parts store for MicroFiber cloths. I got my pack of two (a lifetime supply) for about $5.”

Wait, two microfiber cloths is a lifetime supply? :smiley:

I’ve heard you can wash microfiber cloths in the washing machine to clean them up and reuse them. Is that true? (Can you put them in the dryer to to dry them more quickly?)

If yes, roughly how many CD cleanings would you go through before it is time to wash it? (assuming cds are FAIRLY clean :wink:

And of course, what washer setttings (and dryer settings if approriate )would you use? (in case I get a microfiber cloth and it does not say)

Toothpaste and a soft cloth :iagree:

Tommy_nw -

Actually I meant JUST for cleaning discs, not for removing scratches from a disc :wink:

Also does anybody know the answer to THIS:

(Cleaning Microfiber cloths)

"I’ve heard you can wash microfiber cloths in the washing machine to clean them up and reuse them. Is that true? (Can you put them in the dryer to to dry them more quickly?)

If yes, roughly how many CD cleanings would you go through before it is time to wash it? (assuming cds are FAIRLY clean

And of course, what washer setttings (and dryer settings if approriate )would you use? (in case I get a microfiber cloth and it does not say)

I wash mine with dishsoap and hot water. Rinse and wring it out. Dries pretty quick by itself.

I just use plain cleanex to clean the disc.

olyteddy / ALL -

“I wash mine with dishsoap and hot water. Rinse and wring it out. Dries pretty quick by itself.” (microfiber cloth)

Hmm well I was kinda just hoping to throw it in the washer and or dryer with the weekly laundry :wink:

SO anyone know the correct washer /dryer settings for that?

TCAS-

“I just use plain cleanex to clean the disc.”

Do you mean Windex? or is this a different product? I’ve never heard of it.
Oh and what do you use to apply the cleanex?

I was kinda just hoping to throw the microfiber cloth in the washer and or dryer with the weekly laundry

SO anyone know the correct washer /dryer settings for that? :slight_smile:

I’m very lazy, and thus for cleaning my discs I use one of these

Isopropanol, no water.

mjwhitfield -

Heh. I had considered using one of those “Clean DR” motorized things…

UNTIL I found out that all of them clean discs the wrong way -_- (that is, they clean a disc in a circle around the discs’s center hole, as opposed to the correct way: from the conter hole outward (radially))