What have you just bought? CD/DVD related or otherwise

vbimport

[QUOTE=Ibex;2785320]Never mind, I’ve still got some Maxell Xtreme Protek left. And last time I looked I could still get some more, although I would have to betray my principles and do business with the [I]Evil Empire[/I] (Enet).[/QUOTE]
Are they available online? :eek:

Yes. When I looked earlier this year(?) SVP still had some. IIRC, £35 for 150 shrink-wrapped.

Probably the same stock the old SVP had in 2008 (before they were taken over by Enet) for about half the price.

Mine are superb quality, and as far as I can remember so were those purchased by other CDFreaks circa 2008.

Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection blu-ray box set. :bow:

A BAK 323036P lithium-polymer battery, to repair an MP3 player which became sick while still under warranty (just), but which Sandisk said they couldn’t supply a like-for-like replacement for. :a

After a long wait the battery has finally arrived. :clap:

But on closer inspection it’s marked as a 323036 (no ‘P’), which raises the question as to whether or not it has a protection circuit. And its actual dimensions are wrong - 32-33mm wide instead of 30mm as specified. :a (Words will have to be exchanged.)

Now for the fun part - trying to move the protection board from the old battery to the new, using a soldering iron older than I am (my mother’s, from when she was doing some research about 45 years ago) and no desoldering braid or pump. [Don’t try this at home.]

Another drive primarily for scanning duties.

[QUOTE=Two Degrees;2785616]Another drive primarily for scanning duties.[/QUOTE]
Would be very interested to know how that drive performs. Mine can’t get the spin up phase right and corrects the speed after scanning starts.

Does yours have the Benq style case (two U stamped into the top, as DW1640/50) or the traditional Lite-On one (several straight lines)?

[QUOTE=Ibex;2785617]Would be very interested to know how that drive performs. Mine can’t get the spin up phase right and corrects the speed after scanning starts.

Does yours have the Benq style case (two U stamped into the top, as DW1640/50) or the traditional Lite-On one (several straight lines)?[/QUOTE]
Mine has the straight lines.

Thanks. Same top as mine, but a much later manufacturing date. IIRC they made some internal changes through the life of this model.

If you want to have some fun it can be crossflashed to a Benq DW200S. There’s even some C0deking modified firmware to play with. Enjoy. :flower:

Hmmm…😁

[QUOTE=Two Degrees;2785679]Hmmm…😁[/QUOTE]
You lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky… :flower:

How badly damaged is you wallet this time?

My Sennheiser HD6XX headphones from Massdrop finally arrived. Been trying them out for a while, but I’m so accustomed to the sound of my Fidelio X2, it may take a while to make a fair assessment of them. If you haven’t heard of the HD6XX, its just the HD650 with a different cord and different paint scheme.

Purchased Nov. 8th, arrived Dec. 22nd! And that’s considered pretty fast for Massdrop. :eek: :doh: :rolleyes:

A Lumintop Tool LED torch.

It takes a single AAA battery and is marginally thicker than a Maglite Solitaire. But unlike most LED torches, this one seems to actually deliver its claimed output. It is at least as bright as my 100lm Petzy head torch. This thing is puts out enough light to illuminate the entire garden to a range of 40m+.

It has a power regulation circuit, so it maintains its performance as the battery drains and works just as well with 1.2V rechargables as 1.5V alkalines - better in fact, as the rechagables can normally deliver a higher current.

Shame it isn’t available in the same range of colours as Maglites and the Lumintop Worm. And I would prefer an AA version.

I ordered mine direct from China, but in the US they’re available from Amazon. Normally price is about £16-18 (just over the duty-free import limit :(), but I was able to take advantage of a sale and paid just over £7.

It’s very impressive the amount of light recent LED torches can put out. For comparison, this is the rated lumen output of a 4 ‘D’ cell bulb-based Maglite, still being sold:

It makes me wonder why torch manufacturers still bother with bulb torches, but then again I’m sure replacement bulb sales still makes an on-going revenue source for Maglite. :slight_smile:

My recent purchase was a pair of Sony MDR-1AS headphones. Until I first put these on, I didn’t realise what my previous pair had done to my hearing balance. After a few songs, I noticed the sound seemed slightly biased to the right and began wondering whether this is a fault with the headphones, cord or even my phone. However, after trying a different cord and playback device, I tried my older headphones (Audio-technica QuietPoint ATH-ANC7) and mono sound seemed to be directly in the centre. I then decided to try the old headphones put on backwards and sure enough, the sound shifted to the right.

So after many years of listening with my old headphones, my ears seem to have gradually compensated for the quieter right earpiece. :doh: I’m not sure how I didn’t notice that from the very start when I got my previous pair, unless the balance of the earpieces gradually shifted over time.

[QUOTE=Seán;2785862]It’s very impressive the amount of light recent LED torches can put out. For comparison, this is the rated lumen output of a 4 ‘D’ cell bulb-based Maglite, still being sold:

It makes me wonder why torch manufacturers still bother with bulb torches, but then again I’m sure replacement bulb sales still makes an on-going revenue source for Maglite. :slight_smile:
[/QUOTE]

Perhaps Maglite still has a huge stock of bulb torches left…:bigsmile:
However,most bulb replacements are not sold by Maglite themselves…

An Xmas present for myself…Steam Link and Controller for a nice price…:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Seán;2785862]My recent purchase was a pair of Sony MDR-1AS headphones. Until I first put these on, I didn’t realise what my previous pair had done to my hearing balance. After a few songs, I noticed the sound seemed slightly biased to the right and began wondering whether this is a fault with the headphones, cord or even my phone. However, after trying a different cord and playback device, I tried my older headphones (Audio-technica QuietPoint ATH-ANC7) and mono sound seemed to be directly in the centre. I then decided to try the old headphones put on backwards and sure enough, the sound shifted to the right.

So after many years of listening with my old headphones, my ears seem to have gradually compensated for the quieter right earpiece. :doh: I’m not sure how I didn’t notice that from the very start when I got my previous pair, unless the balance of the earpieces gradually shifted over time.[/QUOTE]

It turns out the new headphones are not balanced either. With a test with mono sound, I put these on backwards and sure enough the sound switched side just like my previous headphones, but this time these headphones have a quieter left ear piece :doh:

Amazon offered a refund despite no longer offering free return postage (as mentioned here), so will probably go for a different pair this time. The Sony was a little too bassy for me with some songs, like a subwoofer turned up a little too high.

NOS Verbatim 16x DVD-R white ink inkjet printable 100 disc spindle, old 2005 packaging. MIT by CMC Magnetics.

More NOS Verbatim 16x DVD-R with the old 2005 packaging. These are made in Taiwan by Prodisc.

[ENVYMODE]

Prodisc, my favourite. Droool

[/ENVYMODE]

When they were still making Verbatims, I ended up with mostly Prodisc (by chance). And I never, ever had a bad disc. :bow:

(Although I acknowledge that poor batches did exist.)

I bought a pair of Audio-Technica ANC-MSR7 headphones to replace the Sony MDR-1AS I sent back. This time, the headphones seem to be balanced, mono sound is spot on in the centre and no noticeable shift when putting the headphones on backwards.

It is also incredible just how different two pairs of headphones sound for what are both described as being high resolution headphones. The Sony headphones had much stronger bass, which seemed to stick out (and overwhelming at times) around a certain frequency range. The Audio-Technica pair are much brighter in the treble range and the lower range seems neutral, certainly not the cranked-up subwoofer like sound of the Sony pair.

The only thing I miss with the Sony pair is that they were more comfortable. Despite weaker bass, I prefer the sound of the Audio-Technica. Originally I was going to go with the cheaper ATH-M40x which claims to be completely neutral sound, but was put off by the negative reviews of them being uncomfortable and too tight, especially since I have a large head.

The next time I’m in a shop with headphones on display (none around my area), I’m curious to try an open pair to see how they compare since I’ve always used closed-back headphones, mainly for evening time listening when everyone else is in bed.