What happens in a power failure during burning

vbimport

Greetings

I was adding data files to a dvd+r that is already half full from a previous burn (dvd-rom), and half way through during burning it with nero, suddenly a power failure happened where I live. When the power came back and I booted the computer, I found the old files there in the dvd, and working, but the disc no longer accepts more files (when I start nero and select 'make data dvd, it dislays the disc as if its blank).
Could someone please explain what happened? and is there any way I can add more files to that disc?

An incomplete burn messes with the file system. The data itself could be there, but when a burn session is completed, the burning prog has to either close the session or finalize the disc entirely. Without that bookend, file browsers are a bit in the dark. The close of the first (old) session was never tampered with during the power outage which is why you can still access the original files. Discs are $.25 USD nowadays- my advice is to use a new disc and add the files from the old disc to the new if you want both burn sessions on the same disc.

Yep, I agree with btspm. :iagree:

Burn your files onto a new DVD. There’s no way you can add files to the old DVD and you shouldn’t even try.

Thanks for the info and advice. I didn’t know that each session has its own closure. I appreciate your help.

So is there any way to add the ‘end of file’ to the existing data? I just burned a few hours of live music to a DVD before someone kicked out the plug of my burner. Any chance of rescuing the hours of music?

Maybe with Isobuster and similar tools.

Thanks Chef,
I will check it out and post my results…

Andrew

Update:
Since my DVD had no file information on it, everything I used to try to read it showed it was a blank disc…even IsoBuster.
I put it back into my stand-alone VHS/DVD machine and recorded a few seconds then hit STOP…this wrote file info to the DVD.
Then I loaded it up in IsoBuster and it was able to recover my 3+ hours of audio and video. Personally, I think I got really lucky, but if someone else gets stuck like this, try what I did.

Andrew

do you know how to use iso buster to make half burned dvd full burned

[QUOTE=chinnanah;2566065]do you know how to use iso buster to make half burned dvd full burned[/QUOTE]

You do know this is over 4 year old thread? And talks about Nero not Isobuster maybe if you start your own thread and give more info and specs. We can help you more…

[QUOTE=chinnanah;2566065]do you know how to use iso buster to make half burned dvd full burned[/QUOTE]
That question is hilarious and illogical…

“what happens in a power failure during burning?”

Coasterification.

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2566695]“what happens in a power failure during burning?”

Coasterification.[/QUOTE]

and you get another frisbee to throw at someone! :bigsmile:

…better “at something”. :wink:

DVDs make disappointing rifle targets… they don’t shatter like CDs

AD

On my set up it just keeps on burning.:flower::bigsmile:

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2566873]DVDs make disappointing rifle targets… they don’t shatter like CDs

AD[/QUOTE]

I’m going to start a separate thread for this…as we are off topic!