What Graphics card can i get?

I was on the Steam forums and i asked if my comptuer would be able to run fallout 3 and they completely bashed my computer. They said things like my CPU sucks, my PSU sucks, my graphics card isnt worth sh*t, etc.

But i went onto Can Yuo Run It and it said my computer far exceeds the minimum requirement for fallout 3, except the graphics card that barely passes. If i had a better graphics card i would be able to run it beyond the reccomended setttings. Right now i have an intefrated card.

Here are my PC specs. http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/hp-pavilion-a6750y/4507-3118_7-33529089.html?tag=mncol;rnav

All i want from my new graphics card is to be able to play newer games like fallout 3 on pretty decent settings with minimum lag. Any recommendations for a good graphics card? or at least a buyers guide so i can find my own and know what i am buying.

P.S. They also said i would need a new PSU and said my comptuer was a “power hog” why is this?

I’m partial to ATI cards.

The 4770 is their newest card. It is a low power card and uses a 45nm process which makes it really ‘neat’. The only nitpick I have with it is it only has a 128 bit memory interface.

Their older 4850 cards use a little more power but it is a little faster because of a 256 bit memory interface.

Both cards are in the hundred dollar range. The 4850 is available in 512MB and 1GB, I don’t recall if the 4770 has a 1GB flavor.

Your current PSU should handle either card fine.

The most comparable models to those that Nvidia sells would be the GTS 250/260 series.

A hundred dollars buys you more video card today than at any point in the history of the industry. Anything less isn’t worth considering for gaming use unless you are playing at 1280x1024 resolution, in which case it’s time to upgrade the display.

Right now you seem to be using the integrated graphics on the motherboard, which is the ATI Mobility RADEON HD 3200, but you do have a pci-e 16x slot for a discrete video card. That is the good news.

There are lots of choices in video cards these days. You can look at this video card buyers guide over at Anandtech…its a few months old, but it will tell you what is available. http://www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.aspx?i=3538

Prices have slipped downward for many of those cards, and if you have $100 to spend on a card alone, then I’d recommend the Radeon HD 4850. Look for them at Newegg.com and Zipzoomfly.com. Be sure to measure the space in your case at the pci-e 16x slot and make sure you have room to fit such a card. The mid to high performance cards are pretty long.

The other thing to worry about is the psu. They were right in thinking your psu might not be able to handle a high performance card. The power supplies that are put into OEM machines generally are good for the equipment that they ship out with, and not much more. If you don’t want to invest in a new psu, you might want to look at cards that don’t need external power, like this HD 4670. Here is an example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161273

That card is one of the better ones I could find that doesn’t require the pci-e 6 pin power card.

If you do want to invest in a better card plus a power supply, look at Seasonic, Corsair, Fortron Source, and PC Power and Cooling as some of the better power supplies. 400-450w should be plenty since you are only going to run one video card in this computer. I run a HD 4850 in my machine and use a 400w Seasonic psu.

This Corsair psu is a great buy: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008

Edit: Check the make and power rating on your current psu before anything else though. Brokenbuga may be right in thinking it is adequate. I build my own computers and tend to over engineer them a bit in the power supply dept.

I agree with you [B][I]Kerry56[/I][/B], having more power is always a good thing. I didn’t want to get into that discussion here, it has been debated in other threads.

The 4770 does not require a 6pin connector, it is a 50w card. The 4850 does require one, but it is a reasonable 110w card.

I obviously haven’t been keeping up enough! :slight_smile: Haven’t heard much about the 4770, but it is obviously a fine card for performance/cost/energy use.

Just comes down to what um0123 wants to spend.

um0123, you can upgrade you PC and it will run fallout 3 pretty well. Since the 4870 video card is so cheap now I would go with that and a Corsair 400W PSU. You would first have to open the side panel and measure how wide your case is from front to back where the card would sit inside to make sure it would fit. You should have at least 8 inches from the back of the case to the front of the case where the HDD cage is.

SAPPHIRE 279L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5
CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W

$185-$20rebate.