What format is best for full REZ HD backup?

vbimport

I am going to back up my DVD’s to my Home Theater PC which is connected to a very big screen. What format will keep the full Audio & Video resolution of a standard DVD on my hard drive for a big screen playback?

Thanks

If I understand what you mean, just copy the entire disc as a dvd9 and you should be good to go. Compression is what kills your quality, so avoid it at all costs.

Yes but I wish to record it to the hard drive and not to a DVD 9. I want the movies only backud up to the Hard Drive so I can just play them directly from hard drive to the big screen.

The original file is usually 4 or 5 VOB files with some VTS files and other attached with it. Is there a way to have it all as one file on the hard drive with it’s original resolution for audio and video.

I want to be able to play the movies from my PC to the big screen as a juke box, instead of using my original DVD’s.

The short answer if you have unlimited storage space is to use VOB Passthrough for original DVD quality. You will need between 4GB and 8GB per DVD (averaging about 5GB). A 1TB drive nets you about 200 movies in this format. This assumes that you want to have the movie only.

There are many other options but the best answer for you is very subjective and dependent on factors like:

[ul]
[li]What resolution does your Media Theater PC output to your screen? 1080p?[/li][li]What kind of audio output?[/li][li]Are you also trying to maintain the DVD menus?[/li][li]How much hard drive space are you willing to accommodate for each movie?[/li][li]Do you want a click-and-go answer or would you be willing to experiment in search of better results?[/li][li]Will you be using a up-to-date fast PC or an older one?[/li][li]Will you eventually need or want to view the movies in other rooms of the house?[/li][/ul]
If the short answer isn’t the right one for you then answer some of the above questions and will see what we can come up with.

[QUOTE=DREAMLINER;2168966]Yes but I wish to record it to the hard drive and not to a DVD 9. I want the movies only backud up to the Hard Drive so I can just play them directly from hard drive to the big screen.

The original file is usually 4 or 5 VOB files with some VTS files and other attached with it. Is there a way to have it all as one file on the hard drive with it’s original resolution for audio and video.

I want to be able to play the movies from my PC to the big screen as a juke box, instead of using my original DVD’s.[/QUOTE]

The DVD5/DVD9 setting is used to tell DVDFab how much compression to apply. If you always select DVD9, there is no standard def disc on the market that will exceed the size of a DVD9 disc, and therefore, no compression will be performed. In other words, you’ll get an exact copy of the disc when you specify the target as a folder/file on the hard drive.

I’m not sure, but if you want one file, I think you can just pipe them together after they’re created (using the DOS command line). However, they are probably broken into separate files to avoid memory consumption issues (I’m just guessing here).

BTW, are you just using Explorer to select the movie to watch, or do you have a special program to do that?

1080P
5.1 Dolby Digital
No Menus Movie Only
Use what ever space is needed to keep ORIGINAL standard DVD resolution.
Very fats up to date pc being used with HDMI output.
Only need to play it in one room.

I would like to use a front end program like xlobby for movie selection, It might work better of the movie was a single file, but I am not so sure a single file that size is possible in Vista.

As long as I can get the player to recognize the original file that would string them together that should work.

Again Movie only, and no extras is all I am looking to do. Xlobby shoud provide the cover art and all the other info about the movie. Unless there is something else better that I am not aware of.

Thanks

[quote=DREAMLINER;2168982]1080P
5.1 Dolby Digital
No Menus Movie Only
Use what ever space is needed to keep ORIGINAL standard DVD resolution.
Very fats up to date pc being used with HDMI output.
Only need to play it in one room.[/quote]

You’ll have to check if Xlobby supports VOB files but VOB Passthrough sounds like your best option. Vista will not have a problem with the file sizes. Here is documentation on how to expose VOB Passthrough in DVD to Mobile if you haven’t already:

http://www.dvdfab.com/docs/index.php/Main/DVDToMobile (Second paragraph)

Wow - XLobby seems a bit over the top just for playing movies stored on a hard drive. :slight_smile:

DVD to Mobile also has a VOB Passthrough function you can find in Generic or add as a Device using Customize UI. It will produce a VOB file for use on some media servers and players (you can change the file suffix to MPG if necessary in Windows Explorer). This file can be one large file or split by size options (1,2,4 GB) or by chapter marks of the original DVD. The target drive must be NTFS for the larger file sizes to appear. The conversion time for VOB Passthrough is very fast.

I see that it says you can do this, but I do not see VOB pass thru option when I go to customize generic?

Nevermind I found it. It is under PS3, not Generic.
So is VOB the only file that would keep original Audio & Video quality?

jsimmons3
You are correct XLobby will do a lot more, video is just a part of that.

[quote=DREAMLINER;2169196]Nevermind I found it. It is under PS3, not Generic.
So is VOB the only file that would keep original Audio & Video quality?

[/quote]

The VOB profile under PS3 is not the right one. Refer to the link above for instructions on how to expose the VOB Passthrough profile (used to be there by default). The PS3 profile for VOB will split the files at 4G in preparation for a FAT32 external USB drive.

Yes, VOB is the only file that will keep the original quality. Everthing else is recoding the video which introduces at least some degredation (whether it would be good enough is another matter).

The PS3 has the option for no split or split by chapters, however I see no other VOB passthrough under Generic.

Just did a PS3 single file VOB and it seems to play just fine.

[quote=DREAMLINER;2169252]The PS3 has the option for no split or split by chapters, however I see no other VOB passthrough under Generic.

Just did a PS3 single file VOB and it seems to play just fine.[/quote]

Yes… it will play fine but you will end up with 2 files (CD1 and CD2) if the total size of the movie is bigger than 4G using the VOB profile under PS3. This means that in the middle of the movie you would need to change files.

Complication, you may have lost me somewhere. The final result was a single file that is 5.61GB. I am not planing on putting this to a CD nor a DVD, just playing it of an external hard drive.

I still can not find a VOB passthrough on any of the other profiles. Maybe we are looking at different versions of DVDFab, I have the beta 5.2.0.0.

Where exactly do you see VOB passthrough?

[quote=DREAMLINER;2169282]Complication, you may have lost me somewhere. The final result was a single file that is 5.61GB. I am not planing on putting this to a CD nor a DVD, just playing it of an external hard drive.
[/quote]

I just double checked and the VOB profile under PS3 still has the 4G limit:

<file format=“vob” onefile_size_mb=“4096” />
If you created a 5.6G file with it then there is a new bug… err… “feature” in DVDFab Mobile.

[quote=DREAMLINER;2169282]
I still can not find a VOB passthrough on any of the other profiles. Maybe we are looking at different versions of DVDFab, I have the beta 5.2.0.0.

Where exactly do you see VOB passthrough?[/quote]

I’ll repeat myself once more. Visit this url:

http://www.dvdfab.com/docs/index.php/Main/DVDToMobile

The second paragraph has instructions on how to enable (or expose?) the VOB Passthrough profile in DVDFab. It is the paragraph with [B]VOB Passthrough[/B] in bold.

<Rant>
[I]This profile used to be available by default, is the most useful part of DVDFAb Mobile, and I cannot understand why it is now hidden on a fresh install.

I use DVDFab at least once a week. Everyone raves and gives kudos for the frequent updates. This is great and necessary for the every changing copy protection on DVD ripping. However, I think stability and consistency are frequently sacrificed.[/I]
</Rant>

I feel better now.

I agree with your rant, and no need to repeat the second paragraph thing either since I put the entire second paragraph in quotes. I followed it to the letter, and no VOB Passthrough ever shows up.

The 5.61GB single VOB file I created from the PS3 profile worked flawlessly. I just created another single file via PS3 VOB passthrough as a single file and this one is 4.86GB. Like I said I have been to your link and the instructions do not match to what I see when I go to the common settings.

It seems VOB passthrough is very easily found in PS3 mode, yet this second paragraph you linked leads you nowhere that I can find.

no need for any of this complexity.
dont use any of the DVd to mobile options.
rip your dvds to hard drive on DVD9 setting wth customise or main movie options and with hard drive as target, then apply the vista registry tweak ( elsewhere on this forum)
that changes the play DVD option in WMC to dvd library.
tell WMC where the DVD folders are and DVDs will appear in the VISta media centre interface. select & play with a microsoft remote. QED.
you can even add the cover art of you’re clever. I’vee posted details before on how to do this.

[quote=DREAMLINER;2169553]I agree with your rant, and no need to repeat the second paragraph thing either since I put the entire second paragraph in quotes. I followed it to the letter, and no VOB Passthrough ever shows up.

The 5.61GB single VOB file I created from the PS3 profile worked flawlessly. I just created another single file via PS3 VOB passthrough as a single file and this one is 4.86GB. [/quote]

It is disappointing to find out this feature is broken. I sometimes use this profile to put my wife’s movies on an external hard drive (FAT32) that can be plugged in the few times a year she wants to watch one.

[quote=DREAMLINER;2169553]
Like I said I have been to your link and the instructions do not match to what I see when I go to the common settings.
It seems VOB passthrough is very easily found in PS3 mode, yet this second paragraph you linked leads you nowhere that I can find.[/quote]

The second paragraph gives you some information and directs you to the this page:

http://www.dvdfab.com/docs/index.php/Main/SettingsCustomizeUI

So you are saying that following these steps does not work for you?

Open Common Settings/Customize UI and select DVD to Mobile using the drop down. Click the [B]New[/B] button; the box shown below will appear. Locate the device you want to add in the [B]Mobile Device[/B] drop down and select it, choosing the graphic icon and entering suitable display text.

The device you want to add is called “VOB”.

That is correct vob is missing from new device to add. It is simply not there. However the PS3 VOB pass through seems to be working for what I need so far.

I am going to do a complete uninstall & reinstall to see if this helps put in defualts that might of change thru the years of transitions and upgrades I have done with this thing.