What exactly is being done about the "uncopyable" Securom 4?

Not to be rude, but does anyone know the latest results in trying to get through Securom 4?? Is anyone even trying? Is this the end of this forum?? Securom!!! Tell me NO! Please!!!

:confused:

I’m sure that somebody is looking into it to find a solution. You want it just as much as the rest of us do. But for now, there is no choice other than to wait it out, just use DAEMON Tools or a crack for the time being.

Wait I thought Daemon Tool can’t do the latest version SecuRom, like in UT2003.

so can you copy the deamon tools virtual cd copy of a securom new game and burn it to cd?
does that work?

Sorry sorry, maybe I am wrong about UT2003. I think an MDS file has not been made, or maybe it blacklists DAEMON, I’m not sure.

so can you copy the deamon tools virtual cd copy of a securom new game and burn it to cd?

Depends on the version, right now the latest version, shown in UT2003 is impossible to make a one to one copy. Only one way to go about doing it, since I’m pretty sure I read somewhere no emulators work for it, is use a no-cd thing. But that’s illegal as you are modifing the game contents, I’d suggest to either wait for the right software/hardware to come along, or buy it, I hate having unperfect copies.

Originally posted by dfourthhorseman
[B]

I’d suggest to either wait for the right software/hardware to come along, or buy it, I hate having unperfect copies. [/B]

Buy the game? That is kind of the idea isnt it? :slight_smile: Y’know, make a working copy of a game you actually went out and bought :slight_smile:

I mean if you like loose or scratch the original. You don’t know how many of my CDs got lost or scratched and its only thanks to my writers that I still have a copy.

Tip: Don’t put CDs in notebooks or binders, cause you might confuse em for old school work and throw em away.

Back in the old days when I had an Atari 520 ST they went through this. The problem is there is some kind of interpretation of the data when it’s read by the hardware which gave the companies a way to stop copying. Finally a company came out with a set of cables that hooked directly up to the floppy drives. It allowed a blind read/write of the data. No matter what they do for copy protection, it’s still nothing but 1’s and 0’s. That cable allowed everything to be copied except for the disks that had a damaged sector copy protection which the program would try to write to, if it could, it knew it was a copy. Something you don’t need to worry about with CD’s. Perhaps a similar hardware solution is needed.

O.K., how about another off-the-wall thought on the new Securom? I offer it for what it’s probably worth. Bear with me for a moment.

Way back when, I can recall reading an explanation by Steve Gibson, the author of SpinRite, as to why his program could no longer do a true low-level format of most modern hard drives. In a nutshell, it had something to do with the fact that the head positioning data, which had previously been located on a dedicated and normally (except for programs like SpinRite) inaccessable disk surface in DIGITAL form, was now located elsewhere on the disks and written to the disks at the factory by special equipment in ANALOG form.

Steve’s contention was that, while hard drives were capable of reading analog data, it was physically impossible for a hard drive to write analog data. And since a true low-level reformat may involve re-writing the head positioning data to compensate for mechanical wear on the drive, it was no longer possible to do that.

I wonder if it’s possible that Securom now simply involves some type of analog data which can be read, but not reproduced by the drive? It that case, it might not have to be totally unique to each disc and may not be very expensive to incorporate. Assuming that the drive can tell the difference and that analog data can’t be simulated in digital form, it only has to exist on the original and be a required read, to prevent a perfect copy from being made.