What DVD writer?

vbimport

I looking to buy a DVD writer but what should I look four?

I want to backup my DVD collection and be able to play them on my standalone DVD players.

I see lots of stuff about dual format +, - and am wondering what the differences are.

Ive looked at the Pioneer A05 is that any good can get it for around £117 GBP from www.dabs.com

Thanks in advance

Andy

Hi there , welcome to the forum.

Domin8tor has made a nice article about the DVD standards war which you can find here.

It seems for the consumer market , DVD + is winning.

Ive read about that but is there an incompatability problem with the + on standalones?

Thx

Andy :slight_smile:

Ive heard there is a high failure rate with DVD writer such as the Pioneer’s is this correct?

Cheers

Andy

Always ask and read the information the supplier of the store can give you.

Most standalone readers from well recognized brands have no problems reading DVD+ discs. The crappy brands usually have. (This is only MY experience , so no flaming about it being different please).

I know nothing of the high failure rate of Pioneer writers , but there have been issues with non-advised dvd’s, but that matter should be solved with the newer firmwares.

If you use crappy brands of media, you will get playback problems or even medium write errors or power calibration errors or unreadable burns, regardless whether you burn on + or -.

Never, never use crappy media…

There is an issue with the antique Pioneer DVR-A03, but even this one is nothing, compared to what people tolerated with IBM and their DTLA hard discs…at least my A03 still works :smiley:

at this moment in time i personally go with a dual format writer, i actually bought a nec nd1300 an apart from media probs (which are soon to be fixed with a new OFFICIAL FW) its been a good writer an not a single coaster sofar ;):bow:

Originally posted by Gazzer
at this moment in time i personally go with a dual format writer, i actually bought a nec nd1300 an apart from media probs (which are soon to be fixed with a new OFFICIAL FW) its been a good writer an not a single coaster sofar ;):bow:

I am seriously thinking about buying this drive myself. I’ve heard pretty good things about it and it’s cheaper than the Sony duals. One thing that I want to do is be able to back-up my PS2 and Xbox games. Do you happen to know if this drive works well with that or have you tried yourself?