What DVD-RW Drive is this? Slimtype DVD A DS8AZH NH61?

vbimport

I just bought a HP notebook. Model dv6244us. But I can’t seem to figure out who makes this drive. I tried a google search but couldn’t figure it out. I want to change to the firmware so that it is region free. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Has lightscribe.
Slimtype DVD A DS8AZH NH61

Please post the Discinfo info here.

http://hijacker.rpc1.org/discinfo/

Won’t matter, that IS the right information. I have the same POS in my hp6275us

Its media sensative and can’t find updated firmware for it or who makes it.

I agree, it is a POS. It is dead slow on audio ripping, and I guess it is very media selective for burns, use media it doesn’t like and you’ll get crappy burns. seems like it should really have a firmware update.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but a forum search did not reveal this answer:

The DS-8AZH 03c is a Philips & Benq Digital Storage Corporation drive. Can’t find anything that gives a non-HP # on it though.

I pulled the one from my DV6326US which I got back in September. The drive was made in Feb 2007. F/W is NH61 and H/W is 01. DHHS factory ID is GZ. HP part # is 416179-HC0.

To remove the drive from a DV6000 series machine, remove the screw just behind the battery latch (right by one of the memory/mini pci-e slot screws) and the drive will pull right out. Probably a good idea to pull the battery first, HP says to open the drive tray and use the tray frame to remove it. With the wrap-around bottom of the faceplate, I was easily able to pull the drive with it closed.

The HP maintenance/service/parts manual is downloadable from:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/site/search/r4_0/jsp/search.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=316644&tx=maintenance%20and%20service%20guide%20dv6000%20series

If the link doesn’t work, go to the HP homepage and search for “maintenance and service guide dv6000 series”.

The manual lists all parts, shows a mechanical drawing of the machine, and gives complete step-by-step disassembly instructions.

(edit to add: )
I haven’t used the drive a lot, but I’ve written a few CDRs (RiData), read several CDs and DVDs, ripped a couple of DVDs (started and walked away so I didn’t time them, but no 8X drive can rip like a 16X desktop drive), and burned a couple of +RWs (HP with a Philips MID - burned ok, and my NEC 6500A wouldn’t even write them without an error).

Hi,[QUOTE=dentman42;1924723]The DS-8AZH 03c is a Philips & Benq Digital Storage Corporation drive.[/quote]Sounds more than a Liteon (Philips-Liteon) to me :wink:

Data sheet

I kinda hoped so. Some Googling had turned up that model, but all on non-english pages. I’ll try to put a pic or two up this weekend. The question is, is that model good or bad news? I suppose I could pull down the latest Litey flash tools and see if I can grab the FW out of it. I’ve been pretty much out of Lite-On happenings since I went NEC for DVD burners a few years ago, the only thing I’ve payed any attention to is drives for the set top recorders.

Interesting that back in September, I didn’t see any references to this drive under Lite-On.

Hey CodeKing, you seeing this? :slight_smile:

BTW, anybody else with an HP/Compaq lappy, they’ve got the maintenance manuals up for many models - just search their site for “maintenance and service guide” plus your model # or series # (ie dv6000 if you have dv6326). Didn’t find a manual for my old (2001) n5310 though.

Worst thing about the dv series is they have custom faceplates on the opti drive that wrap around the bottom. The only bracket on mine was a little angle brack attached to the back the provides the secure point - i could plug in any drive that would fit without the bracket, just couldn’t secure it down. I may find my spare DVD-ROM slimtype and see how badly it fits.

Hi,[QUOTE=dentman42;1927348]I kinda hoped so. Some Googling had turned up that model, but all on non-english pages. I’ll try to put a pic or two up this weekend. The question is, is that model good or bad news?[/quote]I personally consider slim drives regardless of manufacturer only as emergency units with limited use and non-existing support. For serious CD/DVD burning, I would always connect an external half height unit.

Interesting that back in September, I didn’t see any references to this drive under Lite-On.
Maybe due to the Benq-Liteon merger? Also, after the merger, Benq started to sell Liteon drives under its own brand. Also does Philips (they already sold Liteons with their external drives before the merger).

[QUOTE=dentman42;1927348]
Didn’t find a manual for my old (2001) n5310 though.[/quote]Does this help? http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=57861&lang=en&

Michael

I disagree, slim-types have the same motors as the external drives. I got over 6 years (countless burns) Matshita (Panasonic) drive. I think the replacement would be recommended. The external would be a lot faster though. I would recommend Optiarc from Sony/Nec if you need to replace it in your notebook.
GoodLuck

[QUOTE=mciahel;1927355]

Does this help? http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=57861&lang=en&

Michael[/QUOTE]
Nope, looking for the service manual. Have the manuals that came with it. Compare that to the models I listed earlier, there are maintenance and service guides listed for them, but not the n5300 series. I’m guessing they started providing them in 2002-2003.

[QUOTE=THE C.;1927368]I disagree, slim-types have the same motors as the external drives. I got over 6 years (countless burns) Matshita (Panasonic) drive. I think the replacement would be recommended. The external would be a lot faster though. I would recommend Optiarc from Sony/Nec if you need to replace it in your notebook.
GoodLuck[/QUOTE]
I have an ND-6500A in one of my laptops. It’s been a great drive, though a little slow (burn starts at 2.4x). It required aftermarket help though - Herrie’s FW and a reverse ATA flash (in a Toshiba Satellite which has it on primary slave). After the rootkit fiasco, I’m not likely to buy any Sony products for a long time. Shame, I was buying almost exclusively NEC drives prior to the Optiarc deal (I still have a pair of 2500’s, the 6500, a 3500, a 3520, and 2 Mad Dog 4550’s).

I doubt that the motors are the same, unless you’re referring to slim type externals. Michael specified a half-height drive. (I know the spindle motors I’ve seen in my old Liteys wouldn’t fit in a slimtype drive).

@Michael - So is the DS-8AZH likely to be a Benq design or a LiteOn design? Or has LiteOn’s design changed since the merger?

[QUOTE=dentman42;1927801]I have an ND-6500A in one of my laptops. It’s been a great drive, though a little slow (burn starts at 2.4x). It required aftermarket help though - Herrie’s FW and a reverse ATA flash (in a Toshiba Satellite which has it on primary slave). After the rootkit fiasco, I’m not likely to buy any Sony products for a long time. Shame, I was buying almost exclusively NEC drives prior to the Optiarc deal (I still have a pair of 2500’s, the 6500, a 3500, a 3520, and 2 Mad Dog 4550’s)…[/QUOTE]AFAIK Herrie did some great firmwares for “2½” drives, but only Liggy/Dee-27 been releasing patched slimdrive firmwares latelly.
I’ve an ND6650 in an old CompaQ lappy and I’m verry happy with it.

Sorry not adding that much to topic. :bigsmile:

Could the DS-8AZH be the same drive as the SSM-85H5S (found on liteonit.eu under products - DVD-RW - Internal Slim)? From what pics of it I can find, they look the same. Unfortunately, I don’t speak German and all the Google hits I find for the DS-8AZH are in German. Specs look the same too.

CodeKing???

Anyway, I’ll see what the current Litey flash tool makes of the drive in a little bit. Hopefully an attempt to read the FW won’t do any damage (if it can get that far). Be nice if our lemon drives turned out to be some of the best with C0deKing’s help…

Besides, with the funky faceplate, it might be tough to find a usable replacement, at least without having an ugly gap where the faceplate should be.

One of my biggest concerns with a new lappy was finding one with a decent burner and eventually I just had to give up and take my chances. Comparing display models between stores, even the same lappy model, I found that there was a wide variance of optical and HDD drives used. I even saw one Compaq with a Seagate HDD and an Optiarc burner, but I bet if I’d bought one it would have had different drives. That’s one thing I like about my Toshibas - standard faceplate on the optical drives - color may not match perfectly but shape does. Swapped the Teac DVD-ROM/CDRW combo out of my Satellite for the ND-6500 and put the Teac in my Tecra 8200 to replace the Toshiba DVD-ROM that was in it (which is still lying around here somewhere). At least half of my laptops no longer have their original optical drives.

Ok, I ran C0deKing’s Flash utility v2.2.1

It didn’t tell me it’s an unsupported drive. So far so good.

F:Slimtype DVD A DS8AZH NH61 2006/10/27 15:38

Flash ID: EF 14 00 0D Flash Size: 2MB

I clicked Read Flash and it appeared to go ok. Opened the resulting file in Notepad (haven’t really put many tools on this machine yet).

A quick glance through the file yielded the following text strings:
H0464- lSmiytepD DVA SDA8HZ
SlimtypeDVD A DS8AZH 0H642006/10/27 15:38

Looking at the first page of the utility thread, it appears that even some Litey drives result in a “This drive is not supported” error dialog so I’m thinking we’ve about 99% confirmed this is a Litey.

I have the .bin file I dumped if you want it, C0deKing. Just let me know.

Here’s a top view. Notice the bracket on back - this is the only kind of bracket used, and is just for the retaining screw.

Front, angle, right side, and tray views. You can see the custom faceplate - slight wedge shape with the right edge taller than the left edge and also wraps around to form part of the bottom of the computer.

Judging by the position of the emergency eject hole and LED it looks like this could be an SSM-85H5S

It certainly is a LiteOn. Why they have to say “Philips and BenQ” instead of “Philips and LiteOn”, but then have “PLD DS-8AZH” right under it, who knows. [BenQ never distributed any slimtype drives, IIRC.] There might be a good chance that it is a whole new drive [at least chipset wise] compared to the SSM-85H5S, but with the same basic drive design.

I’m wondering if the Lite-On FW is any different than the generic version HP supplies. Either way, I’ve seen to FW updates for any of the 3 LS models listed, and it seems unlike Lite-On to go more tha a year without an FW update for a new drive (though I haven’t followed the slimtypes). And “Match more media” is exactly what we seem to need here! Maybe the 8AZH just adds LS HW to the previous model? I noticed there’s not a slimtype LS model listed on their US product page. I’d be willing to give us LS (never used it anyway) for better compatibility and quality. (And RPC1 and riplock)

The drive’s firmware looks like a SSM-85H5S firmware, check the specs here.
Ltnrpc should solve your RPC needs.

I stand corrected. :slight_smile: