What DVD+-RW do you recommend for 716a?

vbimport

Lord Voldemort: You just discovered something really not new :wink:

If drives can’t handle certain DVD+/-RW media, the 2nd-4th burn will result in a b0rked disc. That is exactly why I’m always running this overwrite test with more data each time.

What are you talking about? :eek:
I was talking about something very different. I wanted to point out that bulletx’s “bad” scan of his Verbatim DVD+RW was not the result of his dying 716. In fact, it is quite good for a MKM A02 in a 716.

about this:

My last scan (3rd or 4th burn on that disc) has more PIFs (301177, 11544 >4) and more PIEs (723623).

But that was nothing I “discovered”, I just wanted to show bulletx that his dying drive wasn’t the reason for his bad burn result on MKM A02 media, but that Verbatim DVD+RW is crap in general (at least for a 716)!

I haven’t found any DVD RW media properly working on that drive…

Depends on what you call “properly”, but somehow I get the feeling that you keep missing what I want to say with my postings… :frowning:

However, I achive “good” (but varying) results with TDK DVD+RW 4x (Philips 041 00). As far as I know, I’ve only written onto these disc 2-3 times (but always more than once!), so the results may be different when I continue to use them.
You might argue that the results are not really good, because the maximum allowed PIF value of 4 is exceeded, or because there are just very many PIEs and PIFs in total, but these discs don’t cause any problems at all, they can be read perfectly.

1. Disc: really nice result.
  2. Disc: wasn’t full when burnt the first time, hence the increase in PIEs.
  3. Disc: don’t know what happens at the beginning of this disc. :confused:

A quite shitty result, again on TDK DVD+RW 4x (Philips 041 00). :eek:
Don’t know why this one is so bad. :confused:

Aaargh, just when I thought I had found a useable DVD+RW for my 716, I got scans like this one. :a :sad:
I don’t get it. THIS SUCKS!! :a

1. scan: one time overwritten
  2. scan: same disc, two times overwritten, one complete erase and again one burn

As you can imagine, the DVD+RW from the scan above isn’t very easy to read.
The drive has to struggle in the beginning of the disc (I could hear that it tried to increase the speed but decreased it again), and in the second half (obviously). :a

My Toshiba DVD-ROM coped better with the disc, but it’s not only a better, but also a much slower reader:

Here are scans of an MKM/Verbatim DVD+RW 8X disc (MKM A03) burned at 8X for the first time on a PX-716A with 1.08 firmware.

Sorry about the burn not being a full one. This is my only MKM A03 disc and I used it for another purpose a few days ago. I don’t think this media is available in the U.S. yet. My disc appears to be a pre-production sample, labeled “DVD+RW 4.7GB 8x, Mitsubishi Kagaku Media, Verbatim”.

As this is the first burn onto a virgin DVD+RW disc, I’m sure subsequent burns will result in the high error rates. It is typical for the second burn (first rewrite) onto DVD+RW to send the error rates shooting up!

scan80269:

NO POF’s!! Thats a pretty nice looking scan compared to everyone else’s I’ve seen, including slower 4X media like mine! (alexnoe must be scratching his head in disbelief!)

Sounds like your media was made in Japan. My 4X is Taiwanese. Possibly the location of manufacturer is as important for the RW’s as for every other disc I’ve ever owned. I hope that those eventually sold in the USA will be of the same quality as yours. I can remember my disappointment with Verbatim DVD+R 16X discs I purchased because their quality scans were significantly worse than the free sample Verbatim DVD+R 16 disc I received with my drive, enough that I burned them at 8X instead. (funny, the reorder number on the free sample is not available in the US.)

Good job. Thanks.

(alexnoe must be scratching his head in disbelief!)
Well do a real overwrite test… take a new disc and record 200, 400, 600MB and so on. Then you’ll see if the drive can really handle this disc type. And, of course, I still haven’t had the possibility to test with mkm-a03

alexnoe:

Good points. Undeniably your scan was very thorough and intensive, thus bound to show greater number of errors. I merely was trying to inject some humor into what has been a heretofore poorly performing DVD+RW 8X media by most people’s accounts.

At the same time, scan80269’s first scan at 8X, albeit an incompletely filled disc, looked better that any of mine done with 4X media, or anyone else’s to date as well. So, something has gotten better and hopefully will continue to stay good.

merely was trying to inject some humor into what has been a heretofore poorly performing DVD+RW 8X media by most people’s accounts.

:stuck_out_tongue: and I want some mkm-a03 …

Hi Alex,
I know you like this kind of test ;), but my aim is to just use a DVD+RW with my 716A, and to prepare it for daily use as good as possible.
I got the following idea, and meanwhile I’ve read it somewhere else as well, so what do you think about this (or have you even tried it?):

1. Take a brand new DVD+RW
  2. Burn it completely full
  3. Make a full erase several times
  4. Start using it as you like (meaning: you don’t have to fill it completely anymore).

Steps 2 and 3 might be somewhat different, e.g. burn it completely full, do a complete erase, burn it full again, complete erase,… I don’t know yet which method would be best. [Edit: oh, a full erase probably wouldn’t even possible if you don’t burn some content to the disc before, I assume. :smiley: ]

The aim would be to do the degradation of the media that occurs during the first few burns in a way that treats the complete disc surface equally. After that, the degradation with each burn should be negligible, and the horrible results one gets with the 200,400,600…-burn strategy wouldn’t occur.

What do you think?

I got the following idea, and meanwhile I’ve read it somewhere else as well, so what do you think about this (or have you even tried it?):

1. Take a brand new DVD+RW
  2. Burn it completely full
  3. Make a full erase several times
  4. Start using it as you like (meaning: you don’t have to fill it completely anymore).
    Yes, this is exactly what you can do if the drive can’t handle RW media properly :slight_smile:

The aim would be to do the degradation of the media that occurs during the first few burns in a way that treats the complete disc surface equally. After that, the degradation with each burn should be negligible, and the horrible results one gets with the 200,400,600…-burn strategy wouldn’t occur.

What do you think?
I prefer a drive where this is not necessary, like NEC ND-3540 :slight_smile: This 200,400,600…-burn test is just some kind of worst case scenario of “normal” usage, so if a drive passes this test, you can be sure you don’t need to do your 2) and 3).

I know. But now I have a 716A and no money to buy a different one. And even more important: if there is a way to use DVD+RWs properly in a 716A (see above), then I don’t need a new drive. :slight_smile:

Here are more scans of the same MKM/Verbatim DVD+RW 8X (MKM A03) disc, this time after having gone through a couple of full-erase, full-burn cycles. I used Nero CD-DVD Speed “Create Data Disc”.

Alexnoe, I did not have time to do the 200, 400, 600MB overwrite torture test as you described, but I figured I could at least force the disc through a few more full erase/burn cycles. This is still my only sample of MKM A03 so I do not want to completely wear it out just yet.

Bulletx, I also believe my disc was MIJ, although I’d be hard pressed to prove it. I have seen MKM/Verbatim media samples labeled in virtually identical ways, beginning with DVD+R 16X samples last year, followed more recently by DVD+RW 8X and DVD+R DL 8X samples. My guess is that these samples were sent directly from MKM Japan… :wink:

scan80269:

Those are still very nice scans for DVD+RW of ANY speed in a 716! You have a good disc. Hold onto that one. Better yet, send it to me and i’ll give it a thorough workout! :slight_smile: