What DVD-ROM burner can I put in my old PC?

Hi

Can anyone tell me what kind of DVD-ROM burner I shall look into for my PC?
I own a Dell dimension 8200. Pentium 4 at 1.8 ghz. 768 MB RAM.
Running XP home edition.

I am not asking for what exact model, I am more asking which speed burner my old PC could operate. Also I think there are sata and ide right?
I remember when I installed my DVD-ROM player years ago that I got at compusa the guy asked me if I needed a sata or ide, I told him I didn’t know and he gave me the one he figured I would need and he was right.

Anything else to consider?

Thanks a lot

Patrick

@ Killingjoke,

Who knows if your Computer supports IDE or SATA Optical Drive interface. You certainly haven’t provided that pertinent information.

To solve that pertinent question provide the Name and Model Number of the “DVD-ROM player years ago that I got at compusa”. From providing that pertinent information Forum Members will then know what type of Optical Drive interface (IDE or SATA) your Computer supports.

In seeing the problems you are experiencing in your other recent Forum posting to obtain the Name and Model Number of the “DVD-ROM player years ago that I got at compusa” you might have to open your Computer case and physically inspect the “DVD-ROM player years ago that I got at compusa” for the Name and Model Number.

If your Computer supports the IDE Optical Drive interface new modern IDE Optical Drives require the use of Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cable (http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html) so you will need to install Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cable for your newly purchased IDE Optical Drive.

Regurds,
bjkg

Hi

I will open the case and look at the model of the “DVD-ROM player years ago that I got at compusa”.
Then hopefully you might be able to help me replace the "“DVD-ROM player years ago that I got at compusa”.

Thanks again

Patrick
(Grateful on getting help here, in replacing a “DVD-ROM player years ago that I got at compusa”)

Hi,

since this is a Dell computer, it’s rather easy to find out, what interface is needed. Just have a look at the manuals (including service manual) available for your computer from http://support.dell.com

My crystal ball suggests, a drive with P-ATA (formerly known as IDE) interface is needed.

Michael

Mciahel

Great help, thanks so much.

Here is what I found for my model (Dimension 8200):

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8200/specs.htm#1103390

<table border=“1” cellpadding=“4” cellspacing=“0”><tbody><tr><td colspan=“2” rowspan=“1” valign=“top” align=“left”>[B]Drives[/B]
</td></tr> <tr><td valign=“top” align=“left”>Externally accessible
</td><td valign=“top” align=“left”>two 5.25-inch bays
two 3.5-inch bays
</td></tr> <tr><td valign=“top” align=“left”>Internally accessible
</td><td valign=“top” align=“left”>two bays for 1-inch–high IDE hard drives
</td></tr> <tr><td valign=“top” align=“left”>Available devices
</td><td valign=“top” align=“left”>ATA-66 or ATA-100 Ultra DMA hard drive, CD drive, Zip drive, DVD drive, and CD-RW drive
</td></tr></tbody></table>
It seems that you were right, it says IDE.

So am I supposed to look for a drive with P-ATA interface? If you could confirm that would be nice.

What speed DVD burner shall I look at now that I figured out the interface needed? Is there anything else to consider?
My pentium 4 is getting old, I don’t want something it won’t be able to handle.

Thanks again

Patrick

Hi,[QUOTE=Killingjoke;2311256]
Here is what I found for my model (Dimension 8200):

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8200/specs.htm#1103390
(table removed)
It seems that you were right, it says IDE.[/quote]But not in the table you posted :slight_smile:
The information was given some lines below in the “Ports & Connectors” section.

So am I supposed to look for a drive with P-ATA interface?
Yes. You need a drive with P-ATA (IDE).

What speed DVD burner shall I look at now that I figured out the interface needed? Is there anything else to consider?
Speed (which is a marketing figure only) doesn’t matter since you don’t want to burn your discs at 20x or 22x :wink:
If you need a good general purpose drive, my suggestion would be Optiarc AD7200A or Pioneer DVR116 or 117.

My pentium 4 is getting old, I don’t want something it won’t be able to handle.
Shouldn’t be a problem at all if you avoid burning your discs at maximum speed. 8x-12x should be fine.

Thanks again
You’re Welcome :slight_smile:

Michael

Michael

Fantastic help. I am so grateful for your answers. I am good to go now and will start shopping.

Thanks again

Patrick