What DVD Drive For Express Purpose of Ripping DVD Library?

My head is spinning with CSS this, riplock that, firmware cross linking etc. etc. etc. and I am reasonably technically savvy. :smiley:

So that being said here is what it boils down to. I have a large DVD library that I want to burn electronically in order to use with my home theater setup. To be perfectly clear I want to burn these for personal use, no sharing, no torrenting etc. I only want AVI versions to stream in my home.

I have an XP machine running 4 gigs of ram and P4 3 ghz that will be the ripping machine.

I basically want a drive that will rip form the DVD to the hard drive as fast as possible so I can then convert from the VOBs on hard drive to an AVI format.

So what drive is best. Preferably without CSS riplock. What kind of speeds are realistic for this? I realize 20X reading is probably not realistic on a DL disc but what about 12X?

Please help and speak slowly and use small words for I is not very edumacated on this subject.

Thanks
Chris

One other piece. I currently have a 16X MagicSpin drive from years ago. I believe it is a re-badged BTC 1016IM. It will only read a disc at up to 3.7X-4X ish. So ripping a single episode is a 3-5 minute thing.

Thanks
Chris

Get yourself a Samsung 22x (or 24x, if available) drive. They are the best rippers on the planet once you apply modified firmware that increases their read speed. Look in the Samsung forum for suggestions about specific models and how to apply the appropriate firmware.