What DVD/CD Burner is compatible?

I have an old Dell Dimension 8100 (July 2001)
Running XP SP2 - My CD/RW died.
Want a Sony DVD/CD IDE burner - for CD’s and Movies.
What model and software will work?

This model should be fine: http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec_v2.asp?scriteria=AA73210

I use a free burning program called ImgBurn. www.imgburn.com

Look through their guides for using the program at this link

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2212110]This model should be fine: http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec_v2.asp?scriteria=AA73210

I use a free burning program called ImgBurn. www.imgburn.com

Look through their guides for using the program at this link[/QUOTE]
I physically installed the Sony DVD Burner recommended above.
The Computer didn’t recognize it and, at the same time, removed the DVD-Rom drive that was working until then, so, no cd playback. GOOD GRIEF!
I get error messages saying Windows is protecting itself by disabling software. Now the hardware is no longer on the My Computer Window.
System: 2001 Dell 8100; XP-SP2; original Sony CD/RW stopped working - too old or what? Will drivers fix this?

Perhaps your old DVD-ROM drive and your new DVD burner are both attached to the same IDE cable and both set as “master” device?

That would make both drives unusable.

There is a jumper at the back of all P-ATA (not S-ATA) optical drives that can be moved to change the device between “master”, “slave” and “cable-select”. One drive on the cable should be set to master (the drive at the end of the cable) and an additional drive if present (in the middle of the cable) should be set to slave.

There’s usually an indication at the top or back of the drive as to which jumper position corresponds to master, slave and cable-select.

The link to your drive is now defunct so I cannot tell whether you have a P-ATA drive, so I’m just assuming that from the age of your pc.

Given a choice, I would put the DVD burner as master and the DVD-ROM drive as slave.

Welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

Your computer probably has 40 wire IDE cables. Get some new 80 wire cables.

It was the Master / Slave Jumpers.
All works fine, now - Thanks. B.K.

[quote=BOKELL;2217878]It was the Master / Slave Jumpers.
All works fine, now - Thanks. B.K.[/quote] Good to hear that it’s working fine. :slight_smile: