What DVD Backup Software Should I Use?

Has anyone done a test on these two? My second question is, does dvd2one compress the dvd with one constant bitrate or does it compress some parts more than others. I don’t know if it compress the extras and the title more and tries to compress the movie as little as possible.

dvd2one has better video quality and is faster. you have a choice of either variable or constant.

dvd2one and dvdshrink both have good quality. Compression in DVD2ONE is automatic, in DVDshrink it is manual. You can choose here the movie, subtitles and sound and then choose the compression ration.

DVDshrink is NOT slower as DVD2ONE !!
DVD2ONE hase no ripping tool, ripping a dvd takes about 15-20m, compress about 15-20m and then burning.
DVDshrink has a build in ripping tool and can read direct from DVD, ripping and compres takes about 20m !! Then burning.

Without burning DVD2ONE takes 30-40m, DVDshrink takes 20m.

I bought DVD2ONE but if DVD2ONE does not offer more in the near future I will use DVDshrink more and more.

Originally posted by MichelNL
[B]dvd2one and dvdshrink both have good quality. Compression in DVD2ONE is automatic, in DVDshrink it is manual. You can choose here the movie, subtitles and sound and then choose the compression ration.

DVDshrink is NOT slower as DVD2ONE !!
DVD2ONE hase no ripping tool, ripping a dvd takes about 15-20m, compress about 15-20m and then burning.
DVDshrink has a build in ripping tool and can read direct from DVD, ripping and compres takes about 20m !! Then burning.

Without burning DVD2ONE takes 30-40m, DVDshrink takes 20m.

I bought DVD2ONE but if DVD2ONE does not offer more in the near future I will use DVDshrink more and more. [/B]

I also think that the quality of DVDSHRINK is not all that good.
And it’s not that fast. I use ANYDVD, so i don’t have to rip the movie first. It works great. I’ve been doing al little testing for myself.
I used the movie Pearl Harbor. First i used DVDSHRINK, and i t works just fine. But when the ripping is done, you have to start a burning prog to put the files to dvd. With DVD2One you can use the option for COPYTODVD in the prog, so when it’s done ripping it start’s burning.

But he quality of DVDSHRINK is not as good as the quality that DVD2ONE gives…

And DVD2ONE was 8 minutes faster, including burning, and the quality is better.

There is a real good thing about DVDSHRINK!! It’s for free!!

Originally posted by Staart

With DVD2One you can use the option for COPYTODVD in the prog, so when it’s done ripping it start’s burning.

autoshrink does this for dvdshrink

Open your movie in the main DVDShrink window. Click reauthor. Another window will pop up. Click on the original window to active it, then click on the main movie and drag it to the second window and drop it under the folder that says new DVD. Once you have done this, click the backup button at the top of the second window.

It sounds more complicated than it really is. It would be much easier to show you. There is a good guide at h**p://www.dvdshrink.info

Just do like Smabbage says. I downloaded dvdshrink version 3 beta 5 two nights ago and it was my first experience with dvdshrink, and after looking at the dvdshrink info guide I was able to do exactly what you are asking for. Very easy stuff.
Tonight I will install my Optorite DD0203 and burn my first DVD. Cheers.
:bow: Thankyou DVDshrink!!

I’m fairly new to the DVD scene but the few copies I have made with DVD Shrink are as good as the originals. I was incredibly impressed with the quality of the finished product I for one will definitely be donating to their website.

Get DVD Shrink 3 Beta 5. It makes VBR with deep scan. I made a few tests and new compression is like 2x the quality. I had before a Predator movie, lots of plants and movement, Shrink 2.3 made a crappy copy, lots of artifacts. Shrink3 Beta 5 made it like the original, artifacts show up so rare now, I’m impressed.

I’ve tested to make a backup of ‘Training Day’ 7.51GB with:

1. DVD Shrink 3.0 Beta 5 :cool:
  2. DVD2One 1.2.3
  3. CloneDVD 1.1.7.1

Conclusion: The quality of DVD Shrink with deepscan is much better than DVD2One and CloneDVD. The main movie has a ratio of 61% and the quality is very good.

I find it so funny people basically compare nanoseconds when it comes to how long it takes to backup a DVD

get real speed freak people, how many DVD’s do you need to backup in a day?!??!?

as for implemented rippers/burners, is it that hard to click a few buttons using dedicated programs and walk away during the process? or just continue using the PC. There is no way I would burn a DVD without testing it first anyway

DVDDecrypter = 5 seconds for it to load DVD and click GO
Processing tool = 2-5 minutes setting up
Nero = 5 seconds to drag n drop files in preset file

so basically it’s an extra 10 seconds to use a ripper/burner, regardless of which processing tool I use if I do not wish to mod the files first. Also note, IC8 & DVDShrink now have 2 speed options implemented so you have the choice of how long you want it to take

next, people will be wanting the program to source the lowest price for the DVD (or goto Blockbuster like some do) and then put the DVD in the drive for them :stuck_out_tongue:

regarding quality and how some people claim not to see differences, I accept this, personally I do seem to see the differences and that’s why I choose to use IC & mostly DVDShrink or else I would use DVD2One as I prefer quality in my backups but nothing beats the original for special occasions

p.s. see quote in sig

We look at one being a free tol (DVD SHrink) and one offering us Variable compression. I think variable compression is still better than Deep analysis mode on DVD Shrink, but DVD Shrink is free, so it wins it hands down.

Here ya go:

http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/DVD_Shrink_v3_beta5.htm

What burning software works with the end results of DVDshrink? I have the files, but when I burned them as plain data via EZCD 6, the DVD was unplayable in my Denon.

Has the layer break problem been fixed on this release or do you still have to use INFOEDIT.

Many Thanks

Originally posted by DickArmy
What burning software works with the end results of DVDshrink? I have the files, but when I burned them as plain data via EZCD 6, the DVD was unplayable in my Denon.

You could try CloneDVD (third button “write existing data”).
Haven’t tried it myself, but it should work just fine.

From personal experience, Clonedvd and DvdShrink are a match made in dvd backup heaven!

With the new DVD shrink is it best to do a ‘deep analysis’ before
the transcode? Or does ticking the ‘deep’ tickbox at run time
do the same thing? My guess is that doing the analysis before
the conversion is like a ‘2 pass’ job in dixv encoding speak.

I think it is best before but I’m not so sure though doesn’t it give different % results on automatic between normal and deep analysis. If it does then the space distribution would also be different

maybe someone can check by recording the %'s before doing a full analysis then afterwards as I’m busy testing something else with DVShrink

p.s. The install Gator thing popping up on this site is really pissing me off!!!
is there anyway to stop it apart from a pop-up killer?

What’s some of your opinions between the two? keeping the fact that DVDShrink is free out of the picture… when it’s merely down to the finished result (Quality of compression) what do some of you think provides a better picture?

This may have been touched on before, however I don’t think the latest v3.0 Beta5 of DVDShrink has been around for long, and supposedly it’s providing people with better quality results…

At this stage i’m leaning towards CloneDVD because :-

a) user friendlyness. I find it’s laid out slightly better then DVDShrink

b) my eyes are detecting better quality from it (even though it’s very slight) when comparing the same dvd with each of the 2 apps.