What drive to use when testing?

I have a NEC ND-4571A burner and a LITE-ON DVD SHD-16P1S player.

I wonder if I should use the burner or the player for quality testing with Nero CD-DVD Speed. And at what speed ?

I Currently use Verbatim 16x DVD+R MCC004 disks made in Taiwan.

Thanks in advance !

Hi [B]netrom[/B], welcme to the forum! :slight_smile:

DVD-ROM drives in general are not recommended for qualiy scanning.

NEC drives are sometimes not dependable for quality scanning, and usually report elevated levels of PIE compared to other drives. PIF levels are usually but not always reported in a useful way though.

Try both and see if you get useful results.

For the NEC drive you may have tro try different speed settings to get sensible results, but most people find that 5x or 12x works best (or 1x but that takes an hour per disc).

I have tried to test 2 different DVD`s at 5x.

The first one is amongst the reason why I wanted to do a test in the first place and the disc is burned using NEC-ND3550.

I have burned more than 300 dvd`s mainly using Verbatim discs and NEC-ND 3500A. The coasters I have had can be counted on one hand until a couple of weeks ago.
I then bought myself a NEC-ND3550 along with 2x50 Verbatim 16x cakeboxes, and burned 10 discs at 16x speed.

I began watching the movies and 4 of them stopped for a couple of seconds during playing and then continued. This happened 2-3 times on each movie.

Very confused I wondered why. Is it the burner, the discs or my home DVD player causing the trouble?

I then decided to try NEC-ND4571 which i received yesterday.

The last test is burned using NEC-ND4571.
How does it look?
:confused:

DVD-ROM drives in general are not recommended for qualiy scanning.

Could you explain why, please, because I’m contemplating using a liteon combo (DVD-ROM reader/CD-RW burner) for scans since my LG can’t scan.

Most DVD-ROM drives that can scan are not very good at it, and those that are usually report PIE/PIF levels that are hard to compare with scans made in DVD burners.

That’s why DVD-ROM drives in general are not recommended for scanning, but there are some DVD-ROM drives you can use for that purpose if you avoid the obvios pitfalls of comparing scans directly with scans made in DVD burners.

Try it and see if you get useful results.