What drive should I throw away?

vbimport

I have a pile of drives and wanted to do a clean up.

I have some I don’t want to get rid of, but the rest are too old. I would like to know if any of these is worth of having, as in CD scanning, CD ripping, DVD writer, etc I already have a BDR-207EBK and a iHAS124-b, so if something is covered by these for me it’s enough:

Philips DVD8801
NEC ND-3520A
Pioneer DVR-106D
LG GSA-4163B
LG GDR-8163B

I never throw away a drive that is still working. I have 7 drives in my dvd burning computer and I’ve had discs that one will read and the rest won’t I also have an old BTC 8X burner that is a horrid burner but it will read discs that none of the other 7 will.

instead of throwing them away, give them away, probably someone could use them, given they pay the shipping

Good idea given by u Myce Rookie some body can use them instead of throwing them outside

Sorry, I never meant to bin them, but get rid of, normally I take working things to places where they collect for others to use.

Maybe nobody here understood my position. I accumulate many things at home, I personally don’t need 8 drives (7+1 one more coming soon), I DO KNOW I’m not going to use them all, EXCEPT if I knew what they are best for.

[B]BD-207EBK[/B] -> My only BD Writer and a good one, so keep.
[B]iHas124B[/B]-> Great DVD writer as far I am concern, also the only one able to do DVD scans.
[B]Philips DVD8801[/B]->excellent CD scanning drive
[B]NEC ND-3520A[/B]->
[B]Pioneer DVR-106D[/B]->
[B]LG GSA-4163B[/B]->
[B]LG GDR-8163B[/B]->

…and so on. Hopefully this time I could make myself more understandable.

Thanks!

LG GSA-4163B

Excellent drive. I’m still looking for this drive in my country, it’s quite hard to find it here in working state today.

[QUOTE=blackened2687;2692427]Excellent drive. I’m still looking for this drive in my country, it’s quite hard to find it here in working state today.[/QUOTE]
Do you mean DVD writing capabilities?

[QUOTE=Dogway;2692641]Do you mean DVD writing capabilities?[/QUOTE]

It was known for being one of the best drives that could achieve a fast 16x DVD+/-R write with good quality, on even 8x media (typically Taiyo Yuden). The use of a P-CAV strategy for 16x burns meant that the drive often achieved write times as short or shorter than 18x drives that wouldn’t come for another two years or so. At lower speeds, it was also pretty speedy with good quality, and this was before everyone hopped on the active OPC/WOPC bandwagon.

It wasn’t bad with CD media, either. It was just a good all-around drive that wasn’t overly complicated with features like BenQ, Plextor, and (eventually) LiteOn. You had to use good media, or your burns would come out with rather colorful quality scans, but even then, there was a chance of using strategy swaps to get better results.

(More of the unnecessary history lesson: Eventually, LG dropped the P-CAV with 16x burns on its Renesas drives, so they wrote at 16x with write times similar to any other modern drive. Write quality also began to be more hit or miss by the time they tried to do 22x drives. They simultaneously produced drives with Panasonic chipsets beginning with the GSA-4164B, which were slower than their Renesas-equipped brethren. They sort of began the process of alternating between Renesas and Panasonic, with new drives appearing more frequently than new firmware by the time we saw their 20x drives. Now, they just use MediaTek chipsets, they don’t offer as many write speed selections for any media, and…it’s just not like the drives from they 16x/18x days.)

The NEC ND 3520A can successfully rip audiocd’s which are protected with key2audio,and certain revisions of Cactus Data Shield 200…

Thanks for help, actually I already ripped all my audio cd’s (I don’t have too many). So the protection bypass wasn’t necessary. Either way, looks like I’m going to dispatch them, if any of you are very interested in any, just PM and I might send it, I won’t charge more than shipping costs if that was the case.

[B]NEC ND-3520A[/B]-> rip audiocd’s which are protected with key2audio,and certain revisions of Cactus Data Shield 200
[B]Pioneer DVR-106D[/B]->
[B]LG GSA-4163B[/B]-> Milestone for Good DVD burns @16x, overall robust
[B]LG GDR-8163B[/B]->

More data I collected:

Correction Offset

2013 Pioneer BDR-207EBK        667ms
2012 LiteOn iHas124-B          6ms
2009 Hitachi+LG HL-DT-ST CT10N 667ms
2007 Philips DVD8801           618ms not good->CD Ripping ~93.000 % accuracy hinted from 8820 statistics
2002 NEC ND-3520A              48ms            CD Ripping 94.5541 % accuracy

(Oct 2003) Pioneer DVR-106D              48ms     (107D is 97.8119 % accuracy)
(May 2005) LG GSA-4163B                  667ms      96.3083 % accuracy
(Mar 2005) LG GDR-8163B                  102ms      96.7452 % accuracy

Archive the drives in the garage. :wink:

On a more serious note I’ve seen older/aging disks which could only be read partially by some of the old school drives I’ve kept since the 90s. I get the feeling some of my newer drives don’t handle older disks at all up to the point of the drive itself misbehaving afterwards… :confused:

Throw them all in the garbage and get some brand new SATA drives before DVD drives are no longer needed, they are all old tech, new tech is streaming and DVDs will soon go the way of the VHS and Laser disc before it. Just buy some hdds and store all your movies. LOL.:wink:

[QUOTE=blackened2687;2692427]Excellent drive. I’m still looking for this drive in my country, it’s quite hard to find it here in working state today.[/QUOTE]
I just threw away 2 XLG4163B and the external model also. no more room in my house for old tech. LOL. :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2693896]they are all old tech, new tech is streaming [/QUOTE]

Probably right,Alan…but before this will be mainstream in the smaller european countries,we’re at least a few years older.Bandwidth limits still exist here…

[QUOTE=alan1476;2693897]I just threw away 2 XLG4163B and the external model also. no more room in my house for old tech. LOL. :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Rub it in our faces…pour some salt in our wounds…hell yeah!!:bigsmile::bigsmile::wink:

[QUOTE=roadworker;2693901]Probably right,Alan…but before this will be mainstream in the smaller european countries,we’re at least a few years older.Bandwidth limits still exist here…

Rub it in our faces…pour some salt in our wounds…hell yeah!!:bigsmile::bigsmile:;)[/QUOTE]
You know I was just busting your family jewels, but seriously I just got an order for a new build and the guy spent almost 4,000USD and didn’t want a DVD player or a bluray player in the build. That has to tell you something.:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2693902] and the guy spent almost 4,000USD and didn’t want a DVD player or a bluray player in the build. That has to tell you something.:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Yep…it shure does…either he has some fairly decent drives around from his earlier builds,or he’s gonna use 1 of those you threw away to keep the cost of his new rig within his budget…:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile::wink:

Using these unreliable HDDs for storage of important data? No, thanks. I’ve seen to many HDD failures. Not long ago our customer experienced the RAID controller failure (even with smoke) which caused immediate death of all array of his 5 HDDs. No, don’t want HDDs, my personal choise is BD…

The thing is that I don’t have “old cd’s I want to recover” anymore, so keeping old ODD’s just makes up for more junk piled in my house.

The good thing with Disc based storage vs HDD’s is that you burn what you want on disc, and when a new technology (DVD, Bluray) comes up, you are being “forced” to make a backup by burning 6 old discs or more into a new and shiny new format disc. With HDD’s you just keep them until they break, 1Tb lost. Having also the reading mechanism into the same storage device is a risk too high. Whoever uses HDD’s for important storage is dumb, or is rich enough to build a RAID system.

[QUOTE=Dogway;2693913]The thing is that I don’t have “old cd’s I want to recover” anymore, so keeping old ODD’s just makes up for more junk piled in my house.

The good thing with Disc based storage vs HDD’s is that you burn what you want on disc, and when a new technology (DVD, Bluray) comes up, you are being “forced” to make a backup by burning 6 old discs or more into a new and shiny new format disc. With HDD’s you just keep them until they break, 1Tb lost. Having also the reading mechanism into the same storage device is a risk too high. Whoever uses HDD’s for [B]important storage is dumb,[/B] or is rich enough to build a RAID system.[/QUOTE]
Then I guess I am dumb. But I do backup all my hdds to a cloud server if that makes any sense to such a smart person. LOL.;):bigsmile:

sorry if you felt offended, I didn’t know how to put it, but I think is not a smart thing to do.

If you keep same data on 2 HDD’s then that’s safer.