What does this letter mean in rmainfo?

Hello,

My beloved 716A recently started throwing power calibration errors - but I suspect (read hope and pray) it may also be related to a bad batch of media and not the poor thing dying.

I read this post on rmainfo and decided I would see how well the old warhorse has lasted.

But when I look at his example and mine the letters are different after what I assume are the burn totals and I wondered if this means anything?

ID2 (D) Plextor DVDR PX-716A V1.10 TLA0310 (S/N######) (2.42.25D-65.10.23D)

Does the fact it will throw up errors on 5 disks then burn the next 10 on the spindle make it more likely to be the media or the drive - I’ve never had a plex die on me before so am a little lost. :frowning:

dr del

@ dr del,

To be able to provide a meaningful answer to your question it would be beneficial if you provided the Media MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) of the particular Media you are experiencing a problem with. Media MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) can be obtained by using a software utility program similar to DVDInfo (http://www.dvdinfopro.com) or DVD Identifier (http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com).

Regards,
bjkg

Hi,

Ok this is the spindle I noticed the problems starting on;

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:MBI 01RG40]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Moser Baer India Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID : [MBI 01RG40]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]

[ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

It has previously been great using this media (burnt over 100 of them with no problems whatsoever ). It has thrown errors on other media but I could actually see marks on those so can’t really claim anything by that.

One more thing, I did try and and burn a couple of images to dual layer disks using these;

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R-DL:RICOHJPN-D01-067]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R DL] - [DVD+R DL]
Manufacturer Name : [Ricoh Co. Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID : [RICOHJPN]
Media Type ID : [D01]
Product Revision : [067]
Blank Disc Capacity : [4,173,824 Sectors = 8.55 GB (7.96 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [2.4x , 3.3x-8x]

[ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Not a single one passed verification and will hang the computer if placed back in the drive. :frowning:

Hope this helps.

dr del

Moser Baer media is widely variable, so that could be some of your issue. I’d suggest some Taiyo Yuden made media, or some Verbatim media.

Also, usually, only Verbatim DVD+R DL is worth anything, and then the better choice is that Made in Singapore. Not sure whether the 716A has good support for the 2.4x or the 8x variant, though.

both media are not the best quality, please try some Verbatim media if the problems persist.

Hi,

Yes I am trying to find some verbatim locally but it looks like I will have to go online which is a pain.

How do you identify where it was made before purchase? Is there a recomended supplier I should go with over others?

dr del

[QUOTE=dr del;2050901]But when I look at his example and mine the letters are different after what I assume are the burn totals and I wondered if this means anything?

ID2 (D) Plextor DVDR PX-716A V1.10 TLA0310 (S/N######) (2.42.25D-65.10.23D)[/QUOTE]

Nothing is known about the letters. From what i observed they cycle from A to D over a relatively short period (as you can see 2 hours of CD writing and it’s at “D” already) and then stay at D. My guess would be some kind of (break-in)- ‘stage’ the laser or drive is at.

[QUOTE=dr del;2050901]Does the fact it will throw up errors on 5 disks then burn the next 10 on the spindle make it more likely to be the media or the drive - I’ve never had a plex die on me before so am a little lost. :([/QUOTE]

Not necessarily. Try cleaning your drive:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f43/712a-died-232572/

The timespan between A and B seems to be 30 minutes. I have an PX-716A here:

ID 0 (D:) PLEXTOR DVDR PX-716A V1.04 TLA:0304 (S/N:000000) (0.19.37A - 0.30.48B)

You see the A is still present at 19:17min but a B is at 30:48 minutes.

Maybe it is for quality reasons that drives RMA’ed with low usage will be refurbished!?

Hi,

You guys rock! :cool:

I cleaned the drive with alcohol thanks to the clear instructions you linked to and my 716 has so far burnt off 5 of the disks it would not previously touch without an error.

I can only find verbatim cd’s locally so far but am still looking.

I did have an error while trying to burn the dual layer blank it had previously rejected but this was an alcohol 120% error (or a general software one) rather than anything obviously to do with the plex. The disk got burnt but shows as blank so I will need to get more to test - would datawrite dual layer +R’s be of sufficient quality to test?

In case it is important here is the error message I got;

I did find a second hand 716-A in a local shop - what would be considered a reasonable price for it? They are asking £28 and claim they can’t negotiate on the price.

Thanks again for all your help.:bigsmile:

dr del