What does task_2failed! Error=116 mean?

Hello,
Can anyone tell me why I’m getting these errors? I try to burn a dvd in DVDFab and lately it’s been failing to burn. I have the newest version, and I’ve tried different brands of media, even though the media I’ve been using has worked great in my Memorex lightscribe multi-format recorder. I’ve tried +r and -r’s, and rw’s, and I still do not get a complete burn. I can copy the material ok, but when it comes to writing it, it stops anywhere from 13% to 34%, and then quits. Also, can low memory cause this to happen, and what can I do to check to see if it’s my burner getting too old? Can anyone please help me? Thank you for your help in advance. I greatly appreciate it!

Welcome to the forums.

Since your question is about DVDFab, you’ll get better, faster answers in our DVDFab subforum respac.

I’ll move your thread over there, but leave a redirect here in the Newbies so you can find it easily.

[QUOTE=respac;2575952]Hello,
Can anyone tell me why I’m getting these errors? I try to burn a dvd in DVDFab and lately it’s been failing to burn. I have the newest version, and I’ve tried different brands of media, even though the media I’ve been using has worked great in my Memorex lightscribe multi-format recorder. I’ve tried +r and -r’s, and rw’s, and I still do not get a complete burn. I can copy the material ok, but when it comes to writing it, it stops anywhere from 13% to 34%, and then quits. Also, can low memory cause this to happen, and what can I do to check to see if it’s my burner getting too old? Can anyone please help me? Thank you for your help in advance. I greatly appreciate it![/QUOTE]

Greetings respac

Welcome to the MyCE community :flower:

I’m not sure what is causing your task 2 failure because error code 116 means-> HWS_WRITINGFAILED 16 // Writing failed (write error or process aborted) which is not much help, however there are several factors that can cause this isse which are [ul]
[li]Firmware of the drive/burner is out of date
[/li][li]Low to poor quality media used
[/li][li]Burning to fast
[/li][/ul]

Please check the firmware of your drive/burner to make sure it is up-to-date

On the media I only recommend either Taiyo Yuden and/or Verbatim brand (especially on video backups)

As for the burn/write speed if you use the recommended media I gave above you can go with the rated speed of those media brands otherwise never burn faster then 8x

I will assume you are using the VSO burn engine which is the default of DVDFab, the VSO software has issues with some drives/burners and also has trouble with the write strategies found on low quality media.

Even though your using the same brand of media you have always used the write strategies can change from spindle to spindle do to the fact that the so called manufacturer i.e Memorex (in your case) is not the actual manufacturer but rather had them made by another and depending on who gives them a better price on producing the disc’s the write strategies can change.

If you are going to use the lower quality media I recommend you set DVDFab to use ImgBurn as the burn engine which is the highly recommendation of the MyCE community, if you don’t have ImgBurn installed you can find it at imgburn.com and there is a guide below in my signature on setting them both up :wink:

[B]SJ[/B]

I d/l Imgburn and tried using it with my dvdfab’s newest version, and now I get this message: Failed to set write parameters! Reason: Logical Unit Communication CRC Error (ULTRA-DMA/32)
What does that mean? I still can’t get it to burn in imgburn because of this error. Can you tell me what I need to do now? thanks so much…

The actual error means:-

116 HWS_WRITINGFAILED 16 // Writing failed (write error or process aborted)

The other details you have supplied would make me suspect that your drive is borked, needs cleaning, you are burning too fast, etc, etc, etc…

Need more details such as logs.

[QUOTE=respac;2576027]I d/l Imgburn and tried using it with my dvdfab’s newest version, and now I get this message: Failed to set write parameters! Reason: Logical Unit Communication CRC Error (ULTRA-DMA/32)
What does that mean? I still can’t get it to burn in imgburn because of this error. Can you tell me what I need to do now? thanks so much…[/QUOTE]

Hi respac

Sorry to here you are still having trouble :frowning: as GregBoy stated in a round about way your drive/burner may have gone bad, do you have another drive/burner you can try ? or are you having this problem on a laptop ?.

If you Google ‘Logical Unit Communication CRC Error (ULTRA-DMA/32)’, you’ll get loads of info - a lot of which is probably on my forum where we’ve already answered threads about this problem.

[QUOTE=respac;2576027]I d/l Imgburn and tried using it with my dvdfab’s newest version, and now I get this message: Failed to set write parameters! Reason: Logical Unit Communication CRC Error (ULTRA-DMA/32)
What does that mean? I still can’t get it to burn in imgburn because of this error. Can you tell me what I need to do now? thanks so much…[/QUOTE]

Basically it’s a DMA error which could have a number of causes.

Try using the Reset DMA option either in DVDFab under the General section in Common Settings or from the Tools menu in IMGBurn and see if that fixes things.

[B]Wombler[/B]