What does PI/PIF mean in reality and some hardware questions

vbimport

Hi

I have read about interpreting PI/PIF(PO) error scans in the DVD-media forum and got some questions.

PI errors can be corrected but when they can’t be corrected it means that you got a PIF, right ?

But the ECMA-paper says that you can have PIF errors as long as they stay under 4, so what does that mean in reality if PIFs are uncorrectable ?

Some hardware questions…

I have seen scan with PlexTools that reports POF (which is really uncorrectable and means that you can thrash the disc right away), is it only Plextor drives that can report that and what models of Plextor drives have that feature ?

Which drives can report jitter and what are recommend values ?

Is FE/TE scanning and codeguys firmwares that adjusts burning quality on some Lite-Ons similar stuff ? Please correct me if I am wrong. But I have got the impression of that FE/TE scanning is for improving burn quality…

I have seen that the Ben DW1620 is pretty popular…does it have some kind feature that improves burn quality like FE/TE scan or codeguys firmware stuff ?
Why is it so popular otherwise ?

Is Plextor drives that reports POF the best for scanning discs at the moment or is there some other drive that got better features when it comes to scanning ?

Is there more tests you can do on the discs ?
A guy talked about som HF-signal, tracking (FE) and TA-tests (Time Analyzer)…does anyone know something about that ?

My English is not the best so please tell me if I have expressed myself crazy so you don’t understand what I mean.

I don’t put too much faith in those tests. To ensure a good burn, I use ONLY brand name Made in Japan media and burn @ 4X or 8X speed. I will also run a read test using Nero CD/DVD speed test (spot check one out of ten discs). I look for a smooth graph.

As I understand it, that is the point (pi280, pif4 with ecc8/1) that the average dvd player is going to have problems playing the disk. A couple things to keep in mind though. Some players might be able to read disks with errors resonable above this while some other players may not be able to play a disk with that many (or a few less) errors at all. Further, your 60$ burner (or 100$ or whatever you paid for it) is not a professional error checking device (someone corect me if I am wrong but those cost several thousand dollars). Your drive will not report errors perfectlly and scans can vary depending on several factors (even how hot the drive is). Scan with a cold drive, burn a bunch of disks and then scan again. It will be at least a little diffrent (depending in part on the cooling in your computer). These scans are not an end all judge of will it play or not. They are however a good way to get a sence of how your burner is burning and how well it likes a particular media. Think of your scans more in terms of generality rather than absolutes. If it were absolute, most of our disks would not play because they often momentarilly spike up above 4 pif.