What does Error:CRC (Cycling Redundancy Check) means?

When trying to rip into the Hard Drive two already DVD backups (The Hulk and Sinbad) , the Error CRC “Cycling Redundancy Check” message appears and won’t let me continue. This occured with the backups but no with the originals (well, I haven’t tried since this event). What may be happening and how can this be corrected? This ocurred with either DVD Shrink 3.0 Beta 5 and with Clone DVD .3.11.2

quote:

Originally posted by jparsons
If you dont mind, could you detail how you got a working copy at all. I make it a policy to back up all my software, including games, and I have yet to get a fully working copy of MOHAA. The CD seems to be OK, but when I try to install it gives me a cycling redundancy error about 1/3 into the install. I am in windows xp, have cdclone 3.3.4.1 and a lite on 24x burner.

Check your settings

:bigsmile:

Thanks, but which settings in specific?

@k9cop what does that quote about a copy protection cd backup not playing have to do with a dvd not being able to read??

@cafe i get these sometimes ripping with dvd shrink when the dvd has scratches or smudges etc. if you used compression on the backup i think you may have problems reading them again with shrink but i cant confirm that. ive remastered some but havnt tried to rerip the remasters (how many re’s in that sentance??):bigsmile: Try to make sure the disks are clean and dont have scratches.

anyways since you own the originals (i assume) then why not just rerip those?

Backups were clean (at least I believe). Afterwards I tried to rip a backup of Matrix Reloaded (also compressed) with DVD Shrink without any problem. However, the backup was burned on a Fujifilm DVD+RW. The previous ones (unsuccesful tries) were burnt on Phillips media (DVD+R). I think it is a matter of media vs. reader. I’m planning on ripping the unsuccesful discs with Smartripper or DVD Decrypter (if I found it) in order to discard the above possibility. About the originals, I like to experiment different strategies (I’m that kind of tech guy) in order to be very informed. Lets say, I tried to backup a backup in order to see if this was as smooth as making a backup from an original, which obviously is not. Now, I need to solve this dilemma. Also, you never knows when will you need a backup from a legal backup like when you burn a home video or so.

Maybe you already knew this but a Cycling Redundancy Check (CRC) error simply means that the drive cannot read the data from the disc. This indicates a problem with the disc itself (damaged, smudged, low quality) or with the drive. You should try to read the disc in another drive. If it also gives CRC errors there then your disc can probably only be used as a coaster for your drinks…

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
Maybe you already knew this but a Cycling Redundancy Check (CRC) error simply means that the drive cannot read the data from the disc. This indicates a problem with the disc itself (damaged, smudged, low quality) or with the drive.
or with the corresponding IDE cable (check that too). If nothing works set the drive in Pio mode and retry reading it.

Its a notebook, don’t think it has IDE cables. No problem ripping a backup from another brand of disc. How do I set the drive to PIO mode.

Thanks.:slight_smile:

In XP its under the properties (advanced features tab) of the corresponding IDE controller in System devices. I dont suggest leaving it in Pio mode as you will have quite a reduction in speed perfomance, just do it for reading the specific medium.

Its a notebook, don’t think it has IDE cables
It is connected with the mobo somehow :wink:

There is a Primary IDE Channel and a Secondary IDE Channel under the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers at the Device Manager. I assume the secondary should be the one used by the DVD Burner while the primary is used by the Hard Drive. Is this assumption right?:confused: