What Does 'Cross Flash' Mean?

vbimport

What does it mean to “cross flash” a drive? :slight_smile:

It means to flash a drive with firmware intended for another drive model that has identical or compatible hardware.

An example would be to flash a Sony DW-G120A drive with the firmware for a LiteOn SHM-165P6S drive (they are the same hardware except for the faceplate).

Hi :slight_smile:
To crossflash in context of DVDRW’s.
Is where you take a BenQ clone like the Sony 810R, then 'crossflash it to a BenQ 1650.
The reason why you might want to do this.
Access to better/more f/w updates.
In the case of BenQ.
It would normally mean that you have use of the QSuite Utility too.

Thanks. :slight_smile: And where does one find a guide on how to cross flash, just in case I ever need to do it.

id start by looking here for your drive.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/

what drive(s) are you wondering about?

i understand what it is after reading this…

i think…

but i still don’t know why a person would want to do it. can someone explain a little bit more?

[QUOTE=edgotham;2584717]i understand what it is after reading this…

i think…

but i still don’t know why a person would want to do it. can someone explain a little bit more?[/QUOTE]

It can be for several reasons.

Drive manufacturers produce different versions of the same drive for different purposes.

Companies that assemble PCs just want to buy in bare drives without the fancy packaging etc. and drive manufacturers often produce OEM versions of the drive for this purpose either as general OEM devices intended for use by all PC producers or sometimes even specific versions for very large companies.

New firmwares for OEM versions tend to take a bit longer filtering through as the drive manufacturers tend to give priority to the full retail version.

So you might want to cross flash your drive to obtain more recent or more frequent firmware updates.

Sometimes cross flashing can enable or add additional features to a drive or perhaps a certain firmware produces more reliable burns.

No doubt there are other reasons too but these are probably the most common ones.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Awesome reply… thanks Wombler.

Looks I really came to the right site! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=edgotham;2584790]Awesome reply… thanks Wombler.

Looks I really came to the right site! :)[/QUOTE]

You’re more than welcome and I hope you find the rest of MyCE interesting too. :flower:

There are a good few people here that can give even more technical advice than me though. :wink:

[B]Wombler[/B]