What do you think of this

vbimport

I’m not going to tell you what brand disc this is or what the mediacode is.
It’s just the two pictures down here, you can look at 'em and give your opinion.
Later on I’ll give you the brand and the mediacode, I’m just curious if my discs are really good quality.

Ritek R03 ? :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s a pretty good burn.

Not TY would be my guess but a good burn nonetheless…now to see if it stands the test of time. :wink:

I’m guessing BenQ 8x DVD+R (DAXON something or other, I forget exactly). I have a feeling it is going to be some funny made in China media code though.

Moser Baer MBIPG101 R05?

Your scan rate is too fast; you should use 4X. I would also vote for Made in China Ritek R03. And no, I would not buy these. Error total is too high. They will play, but why spend money on these when you can get top quality fo $25 per 100?

In [I]your [/I]book. :wink: (just to make clear for [B]TsevenT[/B] that it’s still a perfectly [I]good[/I] scan).
BTW Hasn’t the scanning standard speed been raised to 8X in the LiteOn forum for the 5S/6S models?

Mmmmh… I dont’ know… CMC MAG AE1…? :bigsmile:

It’s a +R, so it wouldn’t be AE1, although it could be in line with E01. While it’s not a ‘pretty’ enough scan for the TY and MCC only crowd that strives for perfection in their burns, it’s a perfectly good scan as you say. If it doesn’t deteriorate (and there’s no particular reason to believe it would over an even better scan), the disc will likely give you zero problems. Nothing wrong with the result.

Regarding 8x in the 5/6 series of Liteons, it was considered a reasonable replacement for 4x after a few comparisons (too few IMO), but some of us have found significantly different results with some discs between 4x and 8x, and the 4x scans were in line with 8x scans from my Benqs. Because of this, I use 4x when testing with my Liteon (160P6S). The majority of the discs I compared between 4 and 8x were very similar, but the few that showed significant differences convinced me that 4x was still a better choice.

I would have to say RITEKR03…

:doh: :bigsmile:

Regarding 8x in the 5/6 series of Liteons, it was considered a reasonable replacement for 4x after a few comparisons (too few IMO), but some of us have found significantly different results with some discs between 4x and 8x, and the 4x scans were in line with 8x scans from my Benqs. Because of this, I use 4x when testing with my Liteon (160P6S). The majority of the discs I compared between 4 and 8x were very similar, but the few that showed significant differences convinced me that 4x was still a better choice.
Thanks for the infos. :slight_smile: - saves me much browsing time. :wink:

Nope, It actually is an Verbatim MCC 003 000 disc
It was burned 3 months back and now I see that you guys think the disc is not going to live very long. Well thank you all for your opinions.
(here is the link) http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/5043/basicinformation4bh.jpg

Wait, that’s not what they’ve said, at least not all of them. The negative comments were based on the assumption that this is a scan of a Ritek R03 disc - Ritek DVD media hasn’t been the best choice for longlivety over the last few years, to put it mildly. As others have said already, this is a pretty good scan, and you should not run into problems anytime soon, my guess is for years to come.

Burned the disc with your LiteOn 1635?

Yep I did, burned it at 8X and I’m very happy to hear that It (probably) won’t give me any problems the coming years, cuz that’s why I’ve burned them the first place.

:confused: :confused: :confused: I guess there has been some misunderstanding, as [B]packetloss [/B]mentions above. :iagree:

:disagree: There is NO way to tell how long a disc will live by looking at the original scan alone. [I]Only[/I] comparisons between several scans performed at regular intervals can give any indication (if any). I insist on this point, as if you ever meet comments with lifespan expectations of a disc [I]by looking at the original scan only[/I], simply dismiss these comments, they would be from uninformed and/or unexperienced people.

The only case when original scans can maybe help in sorting out media in terms of life expectancy are by comparing scans of discs of the same MID and [I]of the same batch[/I].

In all other cases, some background about the MID used and its usual behavior in terms of stability is always needed to make any assumption. And even so, most of the time this will be mostly conjecture based on trends. Sometimes the way you handle and store you discs will be the most important factor.

Was that disc actually Verbatim branded or did you just go by what Nero CD Speed told you?

Uhh I just copied what my Nero info tool said…
The disc itself is brandless, but I’ve bought them at the local Aldi.
I believe it are Verbatims

Aldi…wow! I wonder if the disks they sell in Australian Aldis are the same???

Aldi? Tevion?!?

Then I guess it’s B-Grade media made by the MCC partners CMC, Prodisc or MBI. Mitsubishi will only use top-grade media for their Verbatim DataLifePlus with own media code, they have strict quality control.

The German Aldi (Tevion, Medion, Lifetec) media is mostly Ritek, Daxon, MBI and CMC.

I don’t think so. Tevion is sold at Aldi-Süd, The Netherlands belong to Aldi-Nord, so I think, the media are sold under another brand (maybe Medion).