What do you think of the Metro interface?

vbimport

Actually I can see why Xplorer might like W8 since evidently he uses a linux distro also.
Lately, I have fooled around with Ubuntu inside virtualbox.
First of all, I don’t know anything about linux distros other than what little I have toyed with Ubuntu.

Ubuntu has this “unity” deal going on where apps, folders, updates and everything else seems put in the same category.
Personally, I find the way it is organized…un-Windows-like…seems it too is geared more like…for a smart-phone user.

To me this is similar to W8 in that it is setup for touch screen “apps”.

Admittedly I am old school…so I don’t even like the term "app"
So I am looking for the term either “software” or “programs”.

More or less perhaps this is a clash of culture…a lot of us have for years used the Windows operating system so we know what to expect when working with a “98”,
“ME”, “XP”, “Vista” or W7.
For sure if one uses one of these systems, he can quickly learn his way around on the others and he is not impeded by much of a change in the way they work.

One thing I noticed about Ubuntu is that after it initializes it immediately wants to connect to internet…there again I suppose that will be ok with most users but I like to have absolute control over how the OS operates.
Yeah I am sure if I study hard and long enough, I could write some scripts to make it stop doing that too but I don’t want an OS where I have to spend hours without end trying to figure out how to undo what the creator did to start with.

Back to the main point, I can see where Linux users and smart phone users and even most women…would be ok with and like W8…because it is dumbed down from previous Windows OSs.

I wonder what college courses in OS Development are like now? Now they’re 99% app development instead? I guess so. I just don’t understand why OS’s feel some pressure to incorporate Apps at all.

I think if they’d get the OS links into hardware and drivers done correctly, speedily, then App Developers could be more certain what they’re getting into and how to build those, knowing that the OS foundation was secure and stable. Now, though?

“I don’t know if I want to develop this app because the OS might suck it up in their next version…”

“I can’t afford to spend time on app development because my drivers are too dependent on an OS whose development foundation is more like quicksand or LaBrea tar pits…”

Well… some folks do. Those are the fanboys of Linux, though, and that’s the real 2 steps forward, 3 steps back crowd. “Here’s a brand new interface after 6 months!!”

For all the nice improvements in Speed Of Loading Win8, I’m glad no one’s publicly addressed, “Then why was Win7 so slow at loading drivers that accomplished the same purpose? What changed? Why weren’t these improvements delivered in Win2000?”

great design

I think I can accept, not particularly fond of, nor is annoying!

Worst OS in design Microsoft ever has made for desktops and laptops.

Applications only running full screen! that’s also a big joke on Windows.

I wish they did put the kernel improvements of windows 8 into SP2 for Windows 7.
They GUI they have made for 8 we need to get rid of.

Windows 8 sucks.

They’ve increased the speed of the killing of Aero. They could leave Aero for people who have powerful computers and a SSD instead of a simplified example to make aero matte style for those with slower machines, and a hdd and everyone would be happy.
Already, many wrote that they could make separate windows for their tablets and PC, but they just do not care for classic PC and spat in his face.
Not only that, there is no start menu, so there are no Aero, no way to disable the Metro for those to whom it is not necessary. There is no way to disable hot corners.
They let apps running in full screen mode only and no more windowed like before.
So even if they return the Start menu (which is unlikely) they will not refund Aero and will not give an option to disable the hot corners. Yet another disadvantage of this sludge - is the lack of classic games by default, I have to go into the store and download theirs ****ing card. Which are also not run in desktop mode.
Windows 8 = Not improved, it’s Windows 7 that is brutally chopped and damaged Windows OS for housewives and tablets. Therefore, the less people will install this ****, the more it comes to Microsoft that they screwed up 8.1. The fact that the weather will not make it for sure, but maybe something will change in 9.

The metro is kind of complex for me and I am just accustomed to the desktop mode…

It was just because the user’s mind to adopt the change.I also feel very depressed and even think about going back to Win7.But after using my Win8 for just 1 month , now i feel boring with Win7 and Win XP.

When I first walked into the MS store at the Christiana Mall in Delaware, I fell right in love with windows 8. It was love and hate then. Now it is just love it. SO go metro UI and Microsoft :clap:

I don’t really care for the tablet interface since I have no intentions of investing in a touch screen for my desktop. I have Win8 installed on a nearly identical win7 system. Both have the same motherboard, processor, RAM, vid card, and hard disks, and without a doubt win 8 boots faster and is more responsive than win7. Navigating menu’s in Win 8 gets annoying and when I right click on the desk top to open a text file it can take up to 30 seconds to respond. Then it works quite fast until you let it sit for a few minutes and then you have to go through it all again if you want to right click to access on-desktop menus.

Leave it to Microsoft to build a decent operating system and then screw it up by disregarding desktop users in favor of tablet users.

[QUOTE=Sophocles;2690312]I don’t really care for the tablet interface since I have no intentions of investing in a touch screen for my desktop. I have Win8 installed on a nearly identical win7 system. Both have the same motherboard, processor, RAM, vid card, and hard disks, and without a doubt win 8 boots faster and is more responsive than win7. Navigating menu’s in Win 8 gets annoying and when I right click on the desk top to open a text file it can take up to 30 seconds to respond. Then it works quite fast until you let it sit for a few minutes and then you have to go through it all again if you want to right click to access on-desktop menus.

Leave it to Microsoft to build a decent operating system and then screw it up by disregarding desktop users in favor of tablet users.[/QUOTE]

Here we go again…boots faster or faster…is a not worth the paper it is printed ok. “Nearly identical” means nothing if either O/S isn’t installed on both machine and thoroughly test on the same machine so let’s stop talking about boots faster. And all your doing on W8 just to get it to work already indicates to do what your doing is a waste of time already just to do chore functions.

I have to say I have been very positively surprised now that I finally upgraded. I have actually stayed away from W8 due to all the negative press and comments, but as the 8.1 preview was offered for free I tried it on couple of different environments and was positively surprised. Then I upgraded my work laptop to Windows 8, and I have been very happy to use it in a large corporate environment.

And yes, in my personal experiences the boot speed is now very good. Tried it on WMware, ancient X60 Thinkpad and now on on my more powerful work laptop. All boot very fast, and definitely better than W7 (none of them have SSDs).

So now that 8.1 is avail, I recommend people to try it out and make their own judgment. It all depends of course on the intended use cases.

P.S. The Windows Phone 8 is also a very pleasing smart phone platform, if you don’t desire to hack around with your mobile, but to use it for communicating.

Sweet dream:
Update for Windows 8.x for whatever-based Systems (KB0000000) released
Windows 8.x flamewar fixed. Now you can enable/disable the Metro interface via Windows Features.

Reality:
I am patiently waiting for Windows 9 cuz I believe in optional installation of the Metro interface in it.

setting to enter directly to desktop, me no matter Metro

Metro interface, no need of it; I bypass it with Start Menu 8.

i think its not good.

[QUOTE=Opposite;2704820]Sweet dream:
Update for Windows 8.x for whatever-based Systems (KB0000000) released
Windows 8.x flamewar fixed. Now you can enable/disable the Metro interface via Windows Features.

Reality:
I am patiently waiting for Windows 9 cuz I believe in optional installation of the Metro interface in it.[/QUOTE]

If the screen shot so far has shown Metro isn’t going away it got stuck onto the task program side on the Taskbar menu so it didn’t disappear.

Yes, I would like to go with that option: Metro with phones but non-metro with desktops…

[QUOTE=dreadfulishan;2748889]Yes, I would like to go with that option: Metro with phones but non-metro with desktops…[/QUOTE]

That’s what the majority told them but their heads where stuck up where the sun don’t sun to release that.