What do you think of the Metro interface?

vbimport

What do you think of the Metro interface is it an improvement or should MS get rid of it?

I think the ‘Metro’ interface is good if it was only used on what it was designed for and that is mobile devices, however I believe MS should give the desktop consumers the option of either using it or not using it.

I hate when MS removes the start button on Windows 8, but still currious to take a look.

I can’t stand MetroUI for the desktop but i guess for smartphones it’s ok !

Was not a fan at first, but its growing on me, not that I am in Metro much, generally spend most my time still in the normal desktop

It grows on you…hated it a first.

Yeah I like it, but I pretty much like anything lol.

I have to admit though, Win8 is fast.

I dislike it very much for desktop work.

Is it possible to add another option to the poll?

Metro interface suxxxxx big time :bigsmile:

It is a complete nonsense to use for a desktop something that works on a cellphone. It is like using these on grass :doh:

[QUOTE=geno888;2650654]Is it possible to add another option to the poll?

It is a complete nonsense to use for a desktop something that works on a cellphone. It is like using these on grass :doh:[/QUOTE]

. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=geno888;2650654]Is it possible to add another option to the poll?

It is a complete nonsense to use for a desktop something that works on a cellphone. It is like using these on grass :doh:[/QUOTE]

Phones used to have keypad/keyboards only. SKY IMB-1000 was my first touch-based mobile phone released in 2005. I bought another IMB-1000 in mid-2006 for about US$130. Most people, especially in the West, already accustomed to heavy digital camera units and energy-inefficient desktop computers were also against doing eBook, MP3, movie, camera, TV, web browsing and email… on mobile phones. And soon came the iPhone conversion.

The first iteration of Microsoft Windows could not “overlap” windows so the “multitasking” function of Windows was limited though it was better than the kinds of multitasking various third-party “shell” utility application programs provided. Microsoft started developing Windows in either late 1970s or early 1980s, more than 20 years ago, but it was only in the late 1990s the Windows GUI was finally accepted by the some of the mass and many of the proud technologists and so-called power users in South Korea.

Windows “Start” menu first adopted in Windows 95 was also the very feature so many so-called power users were against. Windows NT 3.5 and IBM’s OS/2 Warp did not have anything like that.

i think i need to get used to it w/out the start button.

[QUOTE=Kenshin;2650670]Phones used to have keypad/keyboards only. SKY IMB-1000 was my first touch-based mobile phone released in 2005. I bought another IMB-1000 in mid-2006 for about US$130. Most people, especially in the West, already accustomed to heavy digital camera units and energy-inefficient desktop computers were also against doing eBook, MP3, movie, camera, TV, web browsing and email… on mobile phones. And soon came the iPhone conversion.

The first iteration of Microsoft Windows could not “overlap” windows so the “multitasking” function of Windows was limited though it was better than the kinds of multitasking various third-party “shell” utility application programs provided. Microsoft started developing Windows in either late 1970s or early 1980s, more than 20 years ago, but it was only in the late 1990s the Windows GUI was finally accepted by the some of the mass and many of the proud technologists and so-called power users in South Korea.

Windows “Start” menu first adopted in Windows 95 was also the very feature so many so-called power users were against. Windows NT 3.5 and IBM’s OS/2 Warp did not have anything like that.[/QUOTE]

One of things I like more in a desktop is the large monitor. I probably will never be able to browse my usual web sites on a cellphone.

I’m pretty sure that I’ll never buy a smartphone or a tablet (other than for prices, I really can’t get used to a touch screen… it is way beyond my understandings… [I]too confusing and totally nonsense for me[/I]).

There is no reason (except for their sick commercial policy) to force people to get “accustomed” to a smartphone interface when you actually will never use a smartphone :frowning:

What worries me, however, is that even if most of people hate metro, nevertheless they will accept it as inevitable… very few things are inevitable, and certainly passively accepting this crap can be avoided.

Well it look faster tan aero, and you could use Windows shortcuts to “play” like others Windows versions.

I for myself says the metro would be fine on a smartphone or tablet or touch screen type laptop but regular users would not be help at all by this switch or help improve their computing experiences. I am one that tried it and threw it out faster then the kitchen sink and tub. I am a keyboard and mouse user and find it funny now that some tablet and smart phone are coming out with options for a “Keyboard and mouse” now wasn’t those devices to replace the mouse and keyboard and now why are they bringing those options back. Guess what … Keyboard and mouse won’t die that easy or go out of fashion-why else would they give option to have a physical keyboard and mouse and also the ipad has a keyboard and mouse option now why would Apple go doing that if the ipad is to be voided off Keyboard and mouse. Simple reason-loose screen size and lack of feedback on the screen is my guess and trying again…to emulate a laptop or small desktop. Isn’t that why we had laptop and desktop in the first place??? But back to Metro I say it S***&^S unless they give the buyers or end-users the option to configure if they are using a touch screen or laptop/Desktop configuration and customize it to those criteria. Otherwise it will be a flop til WindowsX arrives to replace W8 disaster…

Windows X would be interesting brand battle with OS X I think.

I am staying with Win 7 64 bit as long as I can because it was hard enough to get from XP to Win 7, but 64 bit with good 64 bit driver and 64 bit app support and improved 64 bit / 32 bit coexistence made Win 7 worth the effort.

But this Metro thing is being shoved down our throats like Ribbon interface was, and I don’t like that.

Why not just allow users to choose between the existing Win 7 like interface or the Metro interface via the Display config or something in Control panel?

Win 7 interface is fine. Productive for both desktop at home and work.

Metro is terrible for that. It may be ok for portable device, but it is just not for desktop.

But to offer users an actual choice would probably not be consistent with what the Microsoft Monopoly has been doing for many years.

I am frustrated by Microsoft. The only product I want to give them money for is Operating System. LibreOffice / OpenOffice is good enough for productivity suite, imo. No more MS than I have to.

I would like it a lot more if there were tiles for things like My Computer Control Panel Run.
I really wish Microsoft would quit assuming that every PC user is technologically stupid. Windows 8 even more so than Windows 7 is for people who are not technologically savy.

I really don’t like the app lay-out on the start screen. It looks very cool having all your apps on tiles but the only way to organize them is to drag each tile to where you want it. There should be an option to at least alpabetize the list.

I also don’t understand why they have the tiles on the start menu to begin with when there is a all programs screen that lists all of your apps in alphabetical order.
Stupid and redundant

What they should is :
1)Lose the application tiles in the start screen. Only Metro apps should be in that screen.
2)Add an “all applications” tile to the desktop
3)In the All Applications screen add Run ,My Computer and Control Panel tiles.
4)Let us add a tile for whatever we want in the desktop and in the All Applications screen
5)Let us rename tiles
6)Allow us to resize tiles in the All Applications screen
7)Allow us to boot to the regular desktop
I hate to be the one to bring Microsuck back down to reality but just because they’re shoving Metro down our throats that does NOT automatically mean that we’re going to spend large amounts of money on Metro apps

lets just say after trying it Win8 RTM in a virtual machine i won’t be getting rid of Windows 7 anytime soon as i don’t care for Windows 8’s interface.

it’s possible getting more used to it might help it a bit but initial impression was definitely negative to say the least. they pretty much sucked the life out of the desktop basically.

Having played with Win8 for a good while now it has won me over some but Metro sucks for desktop use IMHO anyways.

Classic Shell has provided what MS refused to give us with their latest offering.

[QUOTE=~KIPPER~;2651999]Having played with Win8 for a good while now it has won me over some but Metro sucks for desktop use IMHO anyways.

Classic Shell has provided what MS refused to give us with their latest offering.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it’s ‘horses for courses’ really.

I can see Metro being good on tablets and other handhelds but I can’t imagine being restricted to this on a desktop machine.

I noticed the other day that Microsoft will be offering the upgrade version for £24.99 here in the UK, or £14.99 if you’ve recently bought Windows 7, so it would seem that even Microsoft expect difficulties persuading people to ‘upgrade’ (or should that be ‘downgrade’) :bigsmile:

[B]Wombler[/B]