What DO you think Corsair ValueSelect 1GB DDR2-667 PC2-5300?

vbimport

What DO you think about

Corsair ValueSelect 1GB DDR2-667 PC2-5300 240pin
128MBx64 organization
Corsair part #VS1GB667D2

http://www.corsair.com/

If that ram is going into a new system build then I would’nt bother with ddr2-667. I would instead just get the cheapest ddr2-800, assuming you want a budget build ( since your looking at ‘valueselect ram’).

I can only use 677 or 533 on my MB.

What would be the better buy

Corsair ValueSelect 2X1GB DDR2-667 PC2-5300 for $145CND

or

Mushkin PC2-5300 2X1GB DDR2-667 CL5-5-5-15 for $175CND

Word to the wise: never scrimp on RAM, get the best stuff you can afford.
HINT

Which MB do you have? DDR2-800 is backwards compatible with ddr2-667.

Also, if you read the reviews on sites like newegg, and pick a name brand (which 90% of them are well known), then you can easily get away with a cheap set, not to mention comes with a lifetime warranty.

IMO, avoid all value ram, value select, etc (what ever else the mfgs call it)
my last set of ram was cheapo stuff and caused a bunch of trouble with my system, when I finally figgured out it was the ram I had to underclock it to make it run stable

Corsair Value Select series and Kingstons ValueRAM are excellent choices that actually complies to JEDEC specs.
They do what they’re supposed to do and are throughly tested. Unless you’re going to overclock your memory there’s no reason at all not to go for it. Platinum, Ultra Speed are simply not worth the very little boost (in general 1-3% at stock speed) they give.
//Danne

Not all of them, I’m afraid. In fact, I tried DDR2-800 rated memory on one of my friend’s systems that supported only up to DDR2-667 memory - and that system refused to even POST at all. Same thing happened with another set of DDR2-800 memory. (No such problems at all whatsoever with any of the DDR2-667 rated dual-channel kits I tried.) And when I ran CPU-Z on another friend’s system that officially supported DDR2-800 memory, I’ve discovered that the two DDR2-800 kits I tested have SPD’s programmed for a fixed, DDR2-800 speed (and no programmings at all whatsoever for slower speeds). As it turned out, that friend’s motherboard required memory whose SPD programming specifically included settings for DDR2-667 and DDR2-533 speeds in order to even run at all.

Thus, the motherboard’s (or CPU’s) memory controller must officially support DDR2-800 memory in order to use the two particular models of DDR2-800 memory that I tested.

Some new ram modules will not post because they require a slightly higher voltage that needs to be set in the bios. If the system will post to the bios then the ram settings should be edited to set them up properly. Also its best to have the latest MB bios loaded.

All other things being equal, pick the RAM with the lowest timings. It’s generally better memory, and you will get a nice boost in bandwidth from the faster timings.