What do you think about DOMOTS (domestic robots)?

Are domots actually a good thing?

Ok, without domestic work life will be easier and we all have more time to relax, post on cdfreaks, drink beer and do whatever we like to do…

But housekeeping robots will also increase our laziness, making us more and more dependant by technology, not only in pragmatic things (like cleaning the house) but also in our unconscious. I don’t know how to explain what I feel, but I can’t say if tomorrow we will be the slavers or the slaves.

Luckily I will have to wait some years before affording to buy a domot at a reasonable price.

I’m not sure how I feel.

At present it seems to me that robots for the home is more about buying gadgets than about actually saving time.

But for the future I have this nagging feeling that we just might be smart enough to create robots that can do harm, without being wise enough to control their harmfulness.

I’m not saying we’ll go the Terminator/Skynet or Cylon way, but perhaps far enough for some major f***ups.

I had an very early robot from the '70’s. You carried it in your pocket and it could plug into your cigarette lighter. I think it was called “Pocket Kitty” or something like that.:cool:

[QUOTE=JohnnySuede;2439416]Are domots actually a good thing?[/quote] Yes. Give me a roomba!

But housekeeping robots will also increase our laziness, making us more and more dependant by technology, not only in pragmatic things (like cleaning the house) but also in our unconscious. I don’t know how to explain what I feel, but I can’t say if tomorrow we will be the slavers or the slaves.
It’s not too late for you to disconnect from the internet, stop using your cell phone and television.

Or is it?

Luckily I will have to wait some years before affording to buy a domot at a reasonable price.
300 bucks! :slight_smile:

Why is is an “iRobot”, is it made by Apple iWonder?

Could also be a play on words of Isaac Asimov’s novel ‘I Robot’.

[B]Wombler[/B]

In my opinion, as technology grows, our understanding of it diminishes, yet, at the same time, it becomes increasingly important in our lives. We should think about what implications does trusting something so important to something we understand so poorly have. I have a sort of “point of no return” feeling.

[QUOTE=Wombler;2444838]Could also be a play on words of Isaac Asimov’s novel ‘I Robot’.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

Oh, iSee.:bigsmile: