What do you guys think of walking cat's on leashes?

Hey,

I’m totally serious. It takes a little time but they seem to enjoy after they get use to it. It’s a safe way for them to enjoy the outdoors and it is like having a dog. I have an Oci cat whom I believe really would like it. I have put him on it and he try to struggle he just walks around like normal, although my cat is practically a dog hahaha. :slight_smile:

Aloha,
Tara

we do that to our cats, and they just lay down as soon as they can. i think nothing short of a cattle prod would get them walking

[QUOTE=ckin2001;2311745]we do that to our cats, and they just lay down as soon as they can. i think nothing short of a cattle prod would get them walking[/QUOTE]

Sounds like something my cat would do if I tried to take him for a walk :bigsmile:

I reckon some breeds of cat are more likely to be OK with it than others. I’ve seen a few Siamese being walked on a leash :slight_smile:

Not sure about cats but I did once while out mountain biking see a man walking a ferret on a lead.

Based on my unmatched knowledge about cats (i.e. never having owned or been owned by one), I’d imagine using a leash would be much easier if starting leash training as a kitten?!

It’s a weird sight seeing a cat on a leash! :eek:

I can only imagine the kind of clawing and hissing that would be involved when trying to put a leash on an adult cat that doesn’t want it! :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2311767]
I can only imagine the kind of clawing and hissing that would be involved when trying to put a leash on an adult cat that doesn’t want it! :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Yeah. One of the very few times Baz has put out his claws has been when I tried to put a collar on him. A leash would be even worse. :eek:

We can’t even get a collar on ours…Putting a leash on them and then attempting to drag them around could cause a large loss of blood which I need for the foreseeable future…

Unnatural, unfair, and impossible with most cats…however, Miss Daisy, the legendary psycho cat of the mother of my kid, is an exception.
I would never attempt to put the harness on her myself, although I have seen it done with the aid of various extremely cat-distracting tasty tid-bits…and then she is allowed in the garden on a longish lead fixed to something.
Tricky to remove too, but I´m proud to say I´ve done it several times and only needed a doctor once! Miss Daisy also had trouble sitting down after that particular episode :clap:

[QUOTE=deanimator;2311791]…Miss Daisy also had trouble sitting down after that particular episode :clap:[/QUOTE]

Hahahaha :bigsmile:

Great pic BTW, nice shot :slight_smile:

I will have to put it on my to do list.
My brother had a cat he put on a 20 foot cable it attatched to a pole in his backyard.
I bet that cat would have walked on a leash.He actually liked outside so much he didn’t fight the cable.
I think that is how I would start leash training of a cat.Get him used to the feel without me having to fight the cat over it.

I tried it once and never did it again. I would have better luck trying to walk an octopus.

When I put a collar on my cat it is gone a few days later.

[QUOTE=CCRomeo;2407101]When I put a collar on my cat it is gone a few days later.[/QUOTE]

The cat or the collar? :bigsmile:

Kitty on a leash … lol.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2407162]The cat or the collar? :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Just the collar my cat comes back for food.

I can’t even get my wife to walk on a leash. she keeps saying there no way she is going to wear my leash

You’d have to stretch the leash out taut, but most cats have enough balance & dexterity to walk from 1 end of it to the other…

I had a harness for my cats, “Rambette” and “(Kitty) Carlisle”. Both of these cats were highly trained. They understood far more than any dog I have ever known. They would come and leave on command. They would go into rooms if I commanded them too,i.e. Rambette, go into the kitchen", she would go. "Rambette, get off the counter and come over here, yelled from the living room, she would obey.

I took Rambette accross the country and she was leash trained. One day, off the Outer Banks she jumped up about 3 feet into the air and somehow removed the harness, landed, and walked into the car, she had had enough of the sun.

Rambette died 3 years ago at the age of 22 years. I had her since I delivered her from her mom Carlisle. It was one of the saddest days of my life. Carlisle died 2 years ago at the age of 25, I had her since she was 3 weeks old and her mother was killed by a car. I rescued her from under a rock where she was hiding. Carlisle would never leave the house. Even if all the windows and doors were wide open. She liked to sit by a screen and look out but that was it.

The death of Carlisle was a Spiritual experience. Barely able to move because of Kidney failure she got up and walked over to my Dalmatian and licked him, and collapsed. I held her for 24 hours straight as she died and when she passed the sun was shining on her as she was laying on her favorite chair. I held her as she passed and that was that. The Dalmatian ,"Jesse ", died last year at 14 years old of pancreatic failure, Carlisle raised him and they slept together for most of “Jessie’s” life.

So, yes they can be trained to do anything. It all depends on the trainer. Rambette used to climb up my back and sit on my shoulder like a Parrot, she would stay there for really long periods of time.

I have since rescued 1 dog and 2 more cats. We lasted about a week without any animals before we could not stand having a dead house anymore.

@Zathros - your post brought a lump to my throat, which is why I couldn’t bring myself to add to this thread yesterday, I’d have been in tears. They sound like they were wonderful cats. :slight_smile:

My Baz is “trained” to a certain extent, in that he knows exactly (practically to the minute) when it’s tuna time - I feed him his treat at a certain time every evening.

A bit gross this, but he also knows to meow at the window if he wants to barf. Never does it on the carpet. :wink:

@Arachne, Sorry, I really miss those cats (and Jesse, my Dalmatian). To have a couple of animals from your early 20’s to your late 40’s and loose them was almost too much to bare. My cats warned me with Meows when they were going to barf also. I would immediately place them on a hard surface. If you react to the signals they give, then they will continue to communicate. Cats really know when you don’t get it.

When I die, If I see my Cats or any of my former pets beckoning to me, I am going that way, there could be no other choice as they have never lied to me.