What Do You Do With Defeated Technology In Your Hand?

vbimport

Now that Blu-ray is victorious of HD format war, what we the owners do with defeated technology, discontinued from production and out of luck Toshiba HD players?. Should we go back to the defeated and loser of hundreds of Mi $ Toshiba and demand return and refund?. What is the best course of action we consumers have with this abandoned technology?

You Should NOT have bought it in the first place…You lot only bought it cause you Flaunt your Cash n that makes it harder for us who can’t afford it…Hope you learnt a LESSON!
I also Hope that Blue Ray becomes a FLOP.

Are you saying just because you can’t afford to buy HD or BR player everyone who buys them should jump from window and their manufacturer should go broke and be out of business? Thiat is very kind of you to say that.

I plan on using mine (HD-A30) until it breaks and continuing to enjoy existing the existing titles that I have (roughly 30 or 35) and maybe even get a few more during the bargain price firesales.

Yeah. It has nothing to do with TCAS’ high-definition movie hobby. :rolleyes:

I would have expected a lot better from someone with senior member status.

[QUOTE=TCAS;2015043]Now that Blu-ray is victorious of HD format [/QUOTE]

Hold on there, BD hasn’t “won” anything. Still less than 1% of the disc and player market, and no reason to assume this will change.

[QUOTE=CDan;2015252]Hold on there, BD hasn’t “won” anything. Still less than 1% of the disc and player market, and no reason to assume this will change.[/QUOTE]

Hey, I hope you are right because that would be good reason to hang on.

[QUOTE=TCAS;2015388]Hey, I hope you are right because that would be good reason to hang on.[/QUOTE]

Well, there’s no reason to assume that BD won’t die a slow death over the coming years. Fortunately, all these are digital media that can be transferred to another format if needed, given a little ingenuity and the will to do so. But given the fact that the BluRay group has a death-grip on all technology that will allow us to transfer to and from BD discs, I don’t expect the cost of doing so to be low enough to make it worthwhile.

Personally, I think that optical media is the wrong format for high bitrate video, and always will be.

But IF blank BD discs were cheap enough, and a BD player was under $200, I’d consider moving my HD-DVDs to BD discs. I’m just not holding my breath waiting for Sony to suddenly become reasonable.

[QUOTE=CDan;2015395]

But IF blank BD discs were cheap enough, and a BD player was under $200, I’d consider moving my HD-DVDs to BD discs. I’m just not holding my breath waiting for Sony to suddenly become reasonable.[/QUOTE]

There is no use for Blank BD disc regardless at the price unless you have BD Recorder (Writer), which for foreseeable future the price is out of reaches of average Joe consumers.

TCAS as we have said time and time again the up-conversion technology in your player is worth at least $60-$70. Also take a look at all the sales. Amazon has Universal catalog titles for $9.95 and between Deep Discount for Paramount catalog titles at $9.98 and others deals going on right now it’s hard to pass up. Especially considering the fact that any HD-DVD title that gets released on Blu-Ray is going to be at least twice the price. If you don’t believe me take a look at the catalog Blu-Ray releases for Paramount which run at least $21 a piece. Do what you do best. Hold on to the technology that you have enjoy a great up-conversion player and then purchase as many high-def titles for dirt cheap in HD-DVD and kick back and see what happens with Blu-Ray.

Hey we have to look in every option and also the topic is subject to different opinion and it is good to know how some of us think about the HD format situation and what every one plan to deal with it. Remember some people have paid up to $400 for some of these plays it is not that easy to just be satisfied to use it as up scaling device.

Last night I went to a B/M store (withholding name of store to protect the Innocent) and asked the night manager about the HD-DVD A3 and he said if you buy one I’ll make it worth your wild. So I said ok what is the deal and he said I’ll give you 20 HD-DVDs for $20.00 :eek: I said lets do it, so I started picking out the HD-DVDs and he went and boxed up an A3. We went to the counter and he charged me with taxes a grand total of $75.68 :smiley:
I get home and take the A3 out of the box and to my surprise it’s an HD-DVD A30 :eek: One of the SWEETEST DEALS EVER! :bow::bow::bow:
So keep em and wait it out for Blu-Ray to get cheaper (or what ever format comes along later) and enjoy what you have.

[QUOTE=hobo10;2015531]Last night I went to a B/M store (withholding name of store to protect the Innocent) and asked the night manager about the HD-DVD A3 and he said if you buy one I’ll make it worth your wild. So I said ok what is the deal and he said I’ll give you 20 HD-DVDs for $20.00 :eek: I said lets do it, so I started picking out the HD-DVDs and he went and boxed up an A3. We went to the counter and he charged me with taxes a grand total of $75.68 :smiley:
I get home and take the A3 out of the box and to my surprise it’s an HD-DVD A30 :eek: One of the SWEETEST DEALS EVER! :bow::bow::bow:
So keep em and wait it out for Blu-Ray to get cheaper (or what ever format comes along later) and enjoy what you have.[/QUOTE]

Hey Hey, You got to give us the name of store or you are going to be in trouble. This far steals deal I have seen so far and what a jealous I am. :a:a:a

[QUOTE=TCAS;2015540]Hey Hey, You got to give us the name of store or you are going to be in trouble. This far steals deal I have seen so far and what a jealous I am. :a:a:a[/QUOTE]

I should have said that he forgot to charge me the $20.00 for the HD-DVDs and only charged me $70.00 for the A3 (A30).
I know it’s a mistake and I’m still thinking about returning it (or not).

I got 7 HD-DVD’s and an A-3 free from Sears :smiley:

[QUOTE=Bob;2015562]I got 7 HD-DVD’s and an A-3 free from Sears :D[/QUOTE]

Yeah I read that awhile back, now that’s a Great Deal!!! :bow::bow::bow:

[QUOTE=hobo10;2015570]Yeah I read that awhile back, now that’s a Great Deal!!! :bow::bow::bow:[/QUOTE]I like your deal better :bow::bigsmile:

[QUOTE=hobo10;2015559]I should have said that he forgot to charge me the $20.00 for the HD-DVDs and only charged me $70.00 for the A3 (A30).
I know it’s a mistake and I’m still thinking about returning it (or not).[/QUOTE]

Still $70 for A30 considering with 1080P capability is excellent deal. That is half price of lowest sale price I have seen so far for A30.

[QUOTE=TCAS;2015654]Still $70 for A30 considering with 1080P capability is excellent deal. That is half price of lowest sale price I have seen so far for A30.[/QUOTE]

Hi,
I would love to pick up up a extra HDDVD Player. Where did you get such a
great deal?? Thanks.

[QUOTE=ofield;2016502]Hi,
I would love to pick up up a extra HDDVD Player. Where did you get such a
great deal?? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Please realize poster hobo10 is the lucky one who got this deal not me, I was just responding to his post No. 11.

[QUOTE=TCAS;2015489]Hey we have to look in every option and also the topic is subject to different opinion and it is good to know how some of us think about the HD format situation and what every one plan to deal with it. Remember some people have paid up to $400 for some of these plays it is not that easy to just be satisfied to use it as up scaling device.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately the folks who spent $400 probably aren’t going to get that kind of an in-store credit (due to how long ago the item was purchased). I am simply saying that if you purchased the player for the price you did that it make no sense to ditch it considering the fact that at least half of the HD-DVD titles are about half the cost of their Blu-Ray counterparts and then add in the fact that you have a great up-conversion player with it. I spent $135.67 on my A3 and got 2 hand-picked titles for free to boot with the 2 in the box and then the 5 more via the mail. Add in the number of $10-$15 titles out there and the machine still pays for itself in so many ways.