What do you do with coasters?

vbimport

Here’s how this will work! Think of creative ways to destroy coasters!
for me, the number 1 thing…MICROWAVE!
second thing is, slamming them on the side on the concrete…they shatter!
DVDs don’t shatter that well, as they are 2 separate layers, bonded together!

I built a rack out of wood to support falling plate targets, when a steel disc is struck it’s knocked off it’s narrow
shelf and falles through a gap between the shelf and the back support

The problem is that the plaes get rather knocked about and cost real money to make replacements for the,

However “coaster” CD’s work just as well… funny thing is I’ve actually used new CD-R’s cheap crap bought in bulk)
as well as those infamous free software CD-ROMS.

Unfortunatly the experience of shooting DVD’s isn’t as fun, because DVD’s are laminated they don’t shatter

There is an advantage to a target that disappears/ceases to exsist if struck.
the thing is if you can hit a 5" disc at the intended distance you can shoot ANYTHING
at that distance well enough to matter, so precisely WHERE you hit the disc is basically irrelevant

With a target that literally disintegrates when struck there is no worrying about the irrelevant issue
of where you hit it.

AD

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2567204]I built a rack out of wood to support falling plate targets, when a steel disc is struck it’s knocked off it’s narrow
shelf and falles through a gap between the shelf and the back support

The problem is that the plaes get rather knocked about and cost real money to make replacements for the,

However “coaster” CD’s work just as well… funny thing is I’ve actually used new CD-R’s cheap crap bought in bulk)
as well as those infamous free software CD-ROMS.

Unfortunatly the experience of shooting DVD’s isn’t as fun, because DVD’s are laminated they don’t shatter

There is an advantage to a target that disappears/ceases to exsist if struck.
the thing is if you can hit a 5" disc at the intended distance you can shoot ANYTHING
at that distance well enough to matter, so precisely WHERE you hit the disc is basically irrelevant

With a target that literally disintegrates when struck there is no worrying about the irrelevant issue
of where you hit it.

AD[/QUOTE]
Shoot it then microwave the pieces? :bigsmile:

If you pierce a CD with anything moving faster than the speed of sound you need a vacuum cleaner to collect the pieces

Microwaving then shooting might work better.

AD

I very rarely write discs now, but this is what I use to do depending on the type of coaster:

[B]Successfully written, but with a mistake, e.g. boot CD that won’t boot:[/B]

I test their durability. :smiley:

Pop one in a bright window, another on the shed roof, one facing up, another down, etc. After a week, I test their readability compared to when freshly written.

The results: Pretty much every disc left outdoors over a week or two in the Irish weather is rendered completely useless, often to a state where I would not dare load it, i.e. usually partially, if not completely transparent with the surface flaking away. For the discs left in a sunny Window during the summer, they tend to go a much deeper colour, first developing bad sectors and then becoming unrecognisable (like no disc loaded) after a week or two.

Failed the write process or which fails verification

Durability again :wink:

This time throwing them like a Frisbee, striking them on various surfaces to test scratchability, running over them with my wheelie chair, flexing them, etc.

One that I can say is that it is surprising how robust some discs are compared to others. In the early days of CD-R, it was extremely easy to scratch the top coating along with the recordable layer off and a slight flex would shatter the disc. Then there are others that are very durable and can be flexed in a complete U shape before breaking. I haven’t tried the microwave yet.

Rather boring answer but I genuinely use them as coasters! :iagree:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2567260]Rather boring answer but I genuinely use them as coasters! :iagree:

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

Doesn’t that leave half inch round watermarks on the table?

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2567279]Doesn’t that leave half inch round watermarks on the table?[/QUOTE]

Nope! :slight_smile:

In general the glass or cup in itself stops any liquid getting into the hole in the middle.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[B]Frisbee time.[/B]

Catch it doggie, catch it. :smiley: