What do they mean when they say software is anti-piracy protected?

And Also I use CloneDVD which, to my knowledge is not able split DVDs, are there any suggested products that will allow me to do this, and still use Clone DVD? Or for that matter any all in one newby friendly programs that bypass encryption, shrink, split, and burn that are recommended. I have read several product reviews/descriptions but sometimes the info is scattered and incomplete.

Anti Piracy protection can mean a lot of things.

In the world of DVD we have several protection schematics :

• Region codes
  • Region Code Enhancement
  • CSS encryption
  • MacroVision

To read a different region code , you should do the following

• Obtain or make your dvd reader region code free (RPC1)
  • Make your os region code free
  • Make your dvd playback software region code free

For the first , you can try a hacked firmware at rpc1.org.

For the last two , you can use DVD Genie

Don’t worry too much about Region Code Enhancement. There are about 25 to 50 dvd titles in the whole world protected with that schematic. (AFAIK)

The CSS Encryption and Macrovision (along with the region code) can be cleared out by ripping (extracting) the dvd contents to your local storage space. You can use SmartRipper for this.

If you want to learn what the hell CSS and MacroVision are , do some research on Google. This post will be way too long if i should explain it now :slight_smile:

After the above is all done , CloneDVD can do its business.

Good luck

If you just want to split a DVD use IfoEdit. There are a couple of guides for splitting out there which is quite simple.

I understand about region codes and all that jazz, but what i was wondering was about programs such as DVDXCopy Platinum that say their software is “Anti-Piracy Protected.” What does it mean in those terms?

Originally posted by dougpaddock
I understand about region codes and all that jazz, but what i was wondering was about programs such as DVDXCopy Platinum that say their software is “Anti-Piracy Protected.” What does it mean in those terms?

If I’m not mistaking, DVD X Copy copies an entire DVD, but adds a message to the DVD, that the disc was copied with this program and it only is to be used for personal purposes.