What do these TRT and Scandisk scans mean?

vbimport

I’ve been burning Maxell DVD+Rs on my Sony DRX-810UL and (after updating the firmware) been getting great results. No errors, the TRTs show the yellow line going straight across and the green line is a smooth curve to the upper right.

I wanted to try some Taiyos (-R) I’ve had on the shelf since last year (couldn’t get them to burn at all in my old Plextor). I assume they are 4x because that’s the only speed option that showed up in Nero (with the Maxells, I have the 8x option).

The Taiyos burn with no error messages, but when I run the Nero TRT, the green line dips BELOW the yellow line. Does this mean the disk is no good?

And the Nero ScanDisk result is even weirder. I usually get 100% green squares and 100% quality for each file, but on the Taiyos, the last square is red and at the bottom is says the quality of the last file is 0. I did play back the file, and it seemed to play fine.

So what does this mean? Should I give up on the Taiyos and stick with the Maxells?

Looks like your drive is restricted to read -R at 4x, while it can read +R at full speed…
(Or maybe your burner sets the booktype of + to DVD-ROM and therefore the reading drive reads it at full speed.

TY is surely a good choice.

Well we tend to use the disc quality instead of the scan disc part of the test. As to what they mean, generally not a lot if you are trying to use them to see if a disc will work or not, as they should be used to measure degredation over time giving an idea of when may be a good time to reburn the data to a new discs. They are not a way of saying “this disc is definately good”. The only true test of a good burn is does the disc work? A smooth TRT is better than a jagged one. They help to show what sort of burns you may get with a specific drive with specific firmware using a specific media.

Also scanning speed can affect the results, 8x is recommended for BenQ drives and the newer Lite-Ons, I think it is now 5x for NEC, honestly I have no idea on the Sony drive.

TYG01 are defintely 4x discs, 8x are TYG02 and 16x are, yes you guessed it, TYG03.

Take a look at this thread: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=80545 It does get a bit technical if you are completely new.

I think some of the older versions of Nero CD-DVD Speed have a bug that shows the last sector in a ScanDisc Read test as being bad.

Try downloading the latest Nero CD DVD-Speed (currently 4.51.1) from this site and run your ScanDisc test again.

Also be sure to cycle tray after the burn, before performing a scan or a reading test. In some instances (depending on the drive model), not doing so causes the drive to have a reading error at the end of the process. Maybe it’s what you’re experiencing.

I wouldn’t worry about the last red square, Mallomar. Seems to be a bug, as mentioned.

Can you show us the “Disc Info” and “Disc Quality” tabs as well for the TY (set scanning speed at 8X for Disc Quality)? The latter will probably show more errors than your Maxell, causing the TRT read speed dips. If it’s not too bad (out of spec), you can still use them, but for less important work, I imagine.

I found this info in the Nero log. (I only included the sections that referred to book type.) Does this mean the book type is correct?

10:33:02 AM #25 Text 0 File Cdrdrv.cpp, Line 8821
---- DVD Structure: Physical Format Information (00h) ----
Layer: 0, Address: 0 (0 h), AGID: 0; Length: 2050
Book Type: DVD-R (2), Part Version: 5
Disc Size: 120 mm, Maximum Rate: <not specified> (F h)
Number of Layers: 1, Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP), Layer Type: recordable
Linear Density: 0,267 um/bit, Track Density: 0,74 um/track
Starting Physical Sector Number of Data Area: 30000 h (DVD-ROM, DVD-R/-RW, DVD+R/+RW)
End Physical Sector Number of Data Area: 0 h
End Sector Number in Layer 0: 0 h (LBN: FFFD0000 h, 4193920 MB)
Data in Burst Cutting Area (BCA) does not exist
Start sector number of the current Border-Out: 0 h
Start sector number of the next Border-In: 0 h
Media Specific [16…63]:
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 …

10:47:55 AM #35 Text 0 File Cdrdrv.cpp, Line 8821
---- DVD Structure: Physical Format Information (00h) ----
Layer: 0, Address: 0 (0 h), AGID: 0; Length: 2050
Book Type: DVD-R (2), Part Version: 5
Disc Size: 120 mm, Maximum Rate: <not specified> (F h)
Number of Layers: 1, Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP), Layer Type: recordable
Linear Density: 0,267 um/bit, Track Density: 0,74 um/track
Starting Physical Sector Number of Data Area: 30000 h (DVD-ROM, DVD-R/-RW, DVD+R/+RW)
End Physical Sector Number of Data Area: 0 h
End Sector Number in Layer 0: 0 h (LBN: FFFD0000 h, 4193920 MB)
Data in Burst Cutting Area (BCA) does not exist
Start sector number of the current Border-Out: 0 h
Start sector number of the next Border-In: 0 h
Media Specific [16…63]:

So is there a reasonably good way to test a disc without playing all the files (if it’s movies or whatever) or opening all the files (if it’s archives of my job files?). That could take hours just for one disc!

I checked out the link you posted, but it’s pretty much over my head!

I’m running the disc quality test now, but it takes a long time so I’ll post the result tomorrow.

I downloaded version 4.51.1 and ran ScanDisc again, and got the same results, except now the last TWO squares are red (but this is a different disk, so that might not be relevant – I’ll run the test again tomorrow with the same disk I ran the original scans on). Again, the last file shows up listed in a red bar with a quality of 0.

I learned that trick – in this forum – several weeks ago. I’ve been burning disks for years and never knew about that!

I definitely have to do it on this burner – otherwise I get error messages at the end of the transfer rate test.

Updating CD-DVD speed didn’t help as far as the red square problem. (Except now I get TWO red squares, which ain’t much of an improvement!)

I’m running Disc Quality now (it seems to take forever – I’m assuming the Quick Scan isn’t thorough enough) and will post the results (and the Disc Info) tomorrow.

Basically no. The verification option in Nero will check to make sure that the data on the disc matches the data on the hdd, add that to a good scan and you will have the idea that the disc burnt well.

Yes I know it’s complicated, and I am still learning about scan interpretation, but read it while looking at a scan. I had to re-read it a lot while looking at scans, that’s why I printed it off, and some of it still goes over my head.

A quality test should not take that long, though the time is relative. How long are you talking for a test to be done?

The quality test took, accordingly to the statistics, a little over 85 minutes.

I’m attaching the test results for a new disc I burned on a Taiyo blank.

This scan looks good, but are you sure that the drive does PIF?

No it doesn’t do PIF scanning or there would be some showing, no discs scans 0 PIF. Though it could most probably cross flashed, though I have no idea which on it is so a forum search would be best before trying mallo. Though is it in warranty ornot?

Mallomar for future reference save the images in .png format this gives a good quality image for a small file size, and is the standard image format for the board.

EDIT: After a quick search it turns out it is a re-badged 1640:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=178329&highlight=DRU-810A

Some scans do have 0 PIF!
Those are very rare though, somebody (I think it was [B]Arachne[/B]) once posted one made with TY media and an LG drive.

My lord, I must see that one. 0 PIFs now that’s got to be one hell of a drive to do it.

You are probably thinking about this scan by chas0039.

It’s possible to get a zero PIF scan on a drive that reports PIF.

It’s also possible to win millions of $/€/£/Kr in a lottery, but for the vast majority of us it never happens. :disagree:

You rang? :slight_smile:

Nope, wasn’t me - it was indeed chas with the lovely scan. On an LG4163 no less :bow:

I’ve come pretty close with a 2 gig file burned onto a T01, again on a 4163, though.

A perfect result with the Taiyo (and no speed dips in the TRT this time). I think these are as good as your Maxells. Looks like this Sony firmware isn’t suitable for disc quality scanning at all however (no PI Failures reported and super slow speed). If you keep using quality media and have no problems burning or reading them, you shouldn’t worry too much. If you’re paranoid, you should get a second Sony/LiteOn or BenQ scanning drive (crossflashing your current to BenQ may be risky). How are CD’s working now?