What do these terms refer to - purpose served?

vbimport

ht - on or off
os - on or off
sb - on or off

And why would one turn them on or off. Burn speed, quality, other?

Thank you.

HT = HyperTuning - It’s said to be similar to "Solid Burn"
OS = OverSpeed - to burn a media at a higher speed
SB = SmartBurn - To set max burning speed based on media quality.

OS = ON for higher speed.
HT + SB = ON for higher quality burn.

SmartBurn is a feature to auto down speed writing when drive meet buffer under run problems or servo problems during write. So, it’s nothing to do with max burning speed or something like that! Of cause, drive may misjudge such kind of situration, so you may want to disable this function, that’s why there is a tool to disable SmartBurn to let drive maintain the writing speed you set to drive, but you’ll have more risk on disc quality after writing. SmartBurn and HyperTuning are two totally different algorithm both want to have better writing quality, but they don’t effect each other.

When you want to test HT, you don’t need to care about SB. When you don’t want drive to automatically down speed during write, you need to disable SB. That’s it! :slight_smile:

I don’t agree with you about Smart Burn. Look at what Nero has described SmartBurn as:

“The Smart-Burn feature enables automatic checking of quality of the disc. This may lead to lower writing speeds with certain discs, but will ensure successful burn. Disabling the Smart-Burn function may result in write errors as disc quality is not checked and the burning speed will not be adjusted.”

Smart Burn has nothing to do with Bufer Under Run problems or Servo problems during write. Smart Burn checks write quality while burning and lowers the speed if required. Buffer Under Protection is active irrespective of whether Smart Burn is enabled or not.

SmartBurn limits the Max Burning speed for the medias it knows will not burn at a higher speed. I’ve seen 52x CD-R media which has a Smart-Burn limit of 40x and so on. So, SmartBurn has something to do with Max Burning Speed limit to maintain quality burn.

However, I agree with you saying SB and HT are two totally different algorithms. Both targetted towards getting better quality burn but, are independant of each other. :slight_smile:

It takes a brave man to argue with an insider at LiteOn about how LiteOn technologies work, when armed only with quotes from 3rd party software! :cool:

Hey Dude,

What do you mean by Insider at Lite-ON?

Who is an insider at Lite-ON? - “Wind” ???

Have a look here - http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/59/3

That’s right. Wind and Karr who participate in this forum both work with Optical Drive technology at Lite-On.

I have seen that before. It is more than 4 years old, however.

Have fun discussing SmartBurn further with Wind! :slight_smile:

darshanjog,

Is this a joke? Are you kidding?

Hmm…

Wind must surely know more than me. No doubt.

But, what I have said is what Lite-On describes SmartBurn doesn’t it?

Hey been back at the forum after a LOOONNNG Pause. It’ll take sometime time for me to recognise people here.

@Wind

Is what I have said about SmartBurn completely wrong? I’d like to have your comments.

Take a look here to get up to date with Karr and Wind’s contributions of late:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=168558

Then check the Test Firmware sticky - and all the Test Firmware Results Threads for all the 5S and 6S generation drives. They been busy and deserve all the accolades we CDFreaks can muster. :clap:

Hi darshanjog,

my comment has already posted at:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1355212&postcount=3

Believe me, I was one of them who made this happen long time ago. :stuck_out_tongue:

WIND: so you may want to disable this function, that’s why there is a tool to disable SmartBurn to let drive maintain the writing speed you set to drive

I got this tool at Liteon site. Sorry but for me it doesn’t work. I tried to disable Smart-burn via this tool, in a Nero and in an Alcohol 120%. Non of the tryes work. Still every time when buffer underrun occurrs drive drops speed back to 6x. I can do nothing to avoid this happen.

I have attached a picture of this tools where there is by my opinion a little mistake. Status of the smurt-burn says that Smart burn is turned off and the button (which enables and disables Smurt-burn) on the right says Disable Smart-burn. By my opinion On the button should be written Enable Smart-burn. Because at this moment Smart-burn is already disabled. Actually at this moment I can never know weather Smart-burn is enabled or disabled. Maybe the status shows right position.

Wind: SmartBurn is a feature to auto down speed writing when drive meet buffer under run problems or servo problems during write. So, it’s nothing to do with max burning speed or something like that!

If you look at this picture its obvious that Smart-burn has a lot to do with max burning speed. Except if I misunderstood this Remarks.

Hey Guys,

Stop thinking about SmartBurn feature now.

After I had checked into the fimware(I have not been in this part for almost 2 years), I found it was not handled well in recent models. :eek:

I even can’t find the “Disable SmartBurn” had been implemented for DVD writing. I think it’s only for CD writing now and the definition was not clear. :confused:

I’ll call a meeting inside LiteOn to get this implemented in both CD and DVD writing and make a more clear definition for all of you to use. :cop:

(In other words, it’s no meanings for DVD writing now. :stuck_out_tongue: )

Hey Lord “[B]Wind[/B]” Pl forgive me for my sin :bow: :bow: :bow:

Since, you are one of the creators of Smart-Burn there can be no argument on What it is. :confused: :sad: :doh: :rolleyes:

Thanks a lot, fair explanation. I’ll stop posting about my SHW-16H5S droping speed to 6x for now. I’m waiting now for a new issue of firmware.

Since Plextor PX-716 and NEC-3500 drop speed the same as my Liteon I decided to stick with it for now and see what is going to happen in a future. It’s nothing else for me to do.

But it’s strange how such big companies can’t write some explanation and inform crowd about this kind of things. For them it should be easy to make a note where all this could be written aand we wouldn’t asking so much and looking for answers by our self.

and one more thing. Is it so difficult to make a test inside the factory and see if certain feature works wwell or not or where it works and where not.

More large the company, more difficult the management! How do you think?
Anyway, there shall no excuse for us, please give us some times to work it out.