What do the Titles mean?

vbimport

Currently I have both a LiteOn DVD ROM and a LiteOnDVD Writer on my PC.

I am looking to update my Writer but I am getting confused with all the fancy letters that are used in the different devices titles.

Can anyone explain their usage to me?

What is the difference between “LH” and “DH”?

What does 20A3S mean?

Sorry to sound so dumb :confused:

The model name has a pattern with LiteOn drives, providing various bits of information. The formatting used for the drive model has changed. In this period [era] of LiteOn’s production, your drive’s model means this:

*: for one set of drives [the A1 series], an LH meant the drive was a retail drive built before LiteOn became Philips-LiteOn, and DH meant an “OEM” drive built after LiteOn became Philips-LiteOn.

[random information about the full drive string “ATAPI DVD A DH20A3S”][ul][li]ATAPI is an interface/specification, but LiteOn applied it as a more generic alternative to using “LITE-ON” in the drive string, possibly to make it easier to produce OEM drives[]DVD A = DVD All-Write again, to my knowledge [I may be very wrong on this part, though][]DH20A3S = the specific drive model[/ul][/li]
[SIZE=1][more random information for anyone that may have searched for this very explanation, not directly to the original poster]
The H in DH/LH may be replaced with an X to indicate that the drive is external, or S to indicate that the drive is a slim internal drive.

The speed rating [20, in this case] is reflected as the maximum DVD speed [burning for DVD burners, reading for DVD-ROM drives] or maximum CD speed [burning for CD-RW or COMBO drives, reading for CD-ROM drives].

The A may be replaced with various other letters to indicate a DVD burner[no DVD-RAM support], a COMBO drive, a DVD-ROM, a CD-RW, or CD-ROM drive.

The 3 may be replaced with any number 1 through 4, excluding 2 [at least for DVD writers in this era, there was no 2 series. So there is no DH-20A2 drive].

The S may be replaced with P for PATA[no LightScribe], H for PATA[with LightScribe], or L for SATA[with LightScribe].

There are a few deviations from this formula, but this is pretty much applicable for all drives in this era with a similar naming structure.

Thanks heaps. Very much appreciated :slight_smile: