What do man gain buy OC LiteON 40x to 48x?

vbimport

Hei,

Just got mine LiteON 40125W and I am wondering what do man gain by OC it to 48x, besides higher speed.

Is there any writing quality gain?

Staljin

you will get a fster burn time…not alot and when 48x media are around you may want this…not all 40x and slower media will burn at 48x without errors…
not alot else at this point…

Let’s cut the crap and make a long story short .

Overclocked drive + inaccessibility of appropriate high quality media ( x40 - x48 ) = more coasters & sleepless nights & searches to find answers, which is less quality. In general, of course.

In particular, I hope you are able to read between the lines.
So, my response is simple- no, your drive won’t turn gold.

You in this case won’t gain anything but headaches.
No, I guess I’m wrong. You will gain your wisdom !

the OC from 40x 2 48x firmware version VS02 i have used and not only does it burn at 8x faster but also has more software and media support so please ignore our previous friend BoSkin’s ill advised comments

:slight_smile:

sc0tsman, I hardly recall you being my friend, previous or future.

And secondly, let’s hear staljin what he meant talking about quality. Perhaps, something opposite to yours, my dear boy.

Originally posted by staljin
[B]Hei,

Just got mine LiteON 40125W and I am wondering what do man gain by OC it to 48x, besides higher speed.

Is there any writing quality gain?

Staljin [/B]

In general, No. After extensive tests burning almost 2 spindles using the same media I have come to the conclusion that errors almost happen at the same speed location on all disks and also seem to be a bit more severe once they start with the VS series firmwares.

So it seems to be mostly media dependent overall but overclocking may also be a factor to a certain extent. We will have to wait for higher speed rated media before we can make a more accurate assesment on reliability at high speed.

BoSkin, no need to get scarcastic just for a simple misunderstanding.

previous friend BoSkin’s ill advised comments

He’s not talking about being your ‘previous friend’, he’s talking about your ‘previous comment’.

sc0tsman, I don’t see how BoSkin’s comments can be understood as being ‘ill advised’. There are differences because no two systems are alike. It would have been more useful to explain on what facts you are basing your opinion.

Remember folks, without hard facts, opinions are just that: opinions. Your mileage may and probably will vary.

I agree the media is a real issue at 48x…some will not write with any quality and I do not think it is the overclock…assuming(big thing) the hardware is the same…

I overclocked a ricoh 4x4x20 to a 6x4x24(not sure about read speeds)…this was almost 3yrs ago those burns still work fine…so I my experience was good with that overclock

Originally posted by BoSkin
[B]sc0tsman, I hardly recall you being my friend, previous or future.

And secondly, let’s hear staljin what he meant talking about quality. Perhaps, something opposite to yours, my dear boy. [/B]

Hi,

Well, I did OC, and I did some testing as to burning quality.

I took that 12x CDRW wich followed with CDburner and overburned it to 76:00min at 12x speed with WS01, WS03 an OC VS02 firmvare. Results with nerospeed file test and surface scan was that OC VS02 produced least damaged sectors in overburned part of CD. Otherwise no firmware produced damaged sectors in the non overburned sector of the CDRW.

Had no more time for testing so I decidet to keep it OC for now.

I will get back to you with some more info on this topic later on.

Staljin
:rolleyes:

sorry for any offence i have caused…

@83bj60

Let me make myself clear here. I firmly believe that I didn’t sound sarcasticly sending my first post here, do I ? I now clearly see that you were able to understand what I meant there . And I only expressed my personal opinion in a more or less humorous or even philosophical way, without giving advices, w/o teaching or offending anybody. Just an opinion ! And I hope that’s why we’re here.

OK. The other point.

" our previous friend BoSkin’s ill advised comments "

In this case “previous” refers to “friend”

our friend BoSkin’s previous ill advised comments.
In this- previous refers to “comments”.

Don’t you agree ?

nealh :
…some will not write with any quality

That IS the point, man ! You are so damn right !!! :bigsmile:

@Staljin

You are simply the best !!! :bigsmile:

10 seconds. I notice it would buy me another minute from 3:30 to 2:30 burn time should I upgrade from my modest 24X drive.

If you are the kind of person thinking speed is everything, then buy the 10seconds; or you have to increase you daily production outputs. :wink:

Originally posted by tylau
[B]10 seconds. I notice it would buy me another minute from 3:30 to 2:30 burn time should I upgrade from my modest 24X drive.

If you are the kind of person thinking speed is everything, then buy the 10seconds; or you have to increase you daily production outputs. :wink: [/B]

Hi,

Whome do you adress? Is it me? If it is me than the answer is that i am more interessted in having CDburner which burns good discs, than the one which is fast burning shitt on to CDs.

As I said I hadd no time to do some more testin. I am at work (night shift) and I have no opportunity to undertake furhter tests befor monday.

Which program besides Nero Speed could be used to this (quality check) purpose?

Staljin

Originally posted by staljin
[B]

Which program besides Nero Speed could be used to this (quality check) purpose?

Staljin [/B]

CD-R Diagnostic

Originally posted by 83bj60
[B]

CD-R Diagnostic [/B]

Hei,

Just one question.

HOW RELIABLE ARE THOSE TWO PROGRAMMES?

Thanks in advance

Staljin

C2 error checking bypasses the software error correction to detect the errors. C1 errors can’t be detected, they are handled immediately by the drive’s hardware. So in essence, none of these programs are totally reliable. You need special disk reading hardware to detect true, hardware level C1 errors. Very few testing outfits on the net are equipped to test this.

I have used both CD-R Diagnostic abnd CD-Speed. CD-Speed is free and gives great results, CD-R Disgnostic is excellent for other reasons. Frankly I don’t see why anyone would spend $49 for a program like that at this point in time. It used to be great, I was glad to have it when I lost all my files on a CD-RW once, but now most of its features are covered by functions in ISO buster (to recover lost sessions), DirectCD Scandisc (for damaged DirectCD disks) CD Speed (for error detection) and CDR Identifier (for media type), most of which are free apps or included in the package that came with your burner.