What do KProbe scan "errors" mean?

I recently scanned some Ritek media that performed quite well on my LiteOn SOHW-812S drive.

However, the scan produced some “errors”. An example is below (not the same disc, I didn’t save the relevant text file). What do those errors mean and is it OK? I tried copying out the data from the disc, it took a while but eventually the files were copied out.

Date : 17/06/2005 04:45:27
Model : 3-0-1-0 LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-812S US0Q
Disc : DVD-R , CMC MA [CMC Magnetics Corporation]
Speed : Max
ECC blocks sum (PI/PIF) : 8/1
Scanned range : 0 - 1461550
Sampling count : 65715
Errors : 436
PI Max : 1368
PI Average : 458.30
PI Total : 4568689
PIF Max : 210
PIF Average : 155.70
PIF Total : 1551878

From the first post in The Big KProbe2 Thread (which is a must read for KProbe users):

Please note that these erors are not the same as C2, and are not “unreadable sectors”, but simply indicate that the PUH has skipped over that sector. This occurs either as a result of unreadable data (high C2), or as a result of PUH slipping. A few of these errors are normal on most drives.

PUH = Pickup head.

G

Usually in DVD scanning with current drives and software, the errors are skipped sectors due to the fact that you accessed the drive during the scan. This means that opening Explorer or any program that polls the IDE bus will cause this. Kprobe releases the drive which interrupts the error scan. Each model drive behaves a bit differently when this happens, my 1693 will sometimes crap out and the scan is over.

Ah right, thanks guys :slight_smile: