What do I need?

Ok here goes. I just purchased a LG 20x super multi dvd rewriter. It came with Nero Express and , InCd, Lightscribe, Cyberlinks PowerDVD and Power Producer. Problem is I haven’t a clue on where to start. I tried making a copy of a movie I own but it only burned 5 minutes of the movie then burn fail message appeared. I also have some files in avi format do i need a decoder to convert to dvd if so which free software is the best? Can you make a copy of a copied DVD? My son is little and i would really like to back up all his movies as they tend to get scrtached fairly easy. Any help is appreciated.

To copy your retail movies you need a ripping program, to convert AVI files to play on a standalone player you need converter software. DVD FLICK works for the AVI files and is free. I use DVDFAB for ripping the retail ones, it is not free but is a 30-day full function try-before you buy. Just click the highlighted stuff in this post to find the programs. Welcome to the forum Willow. You can google DVD FLICK.

Movies are copy-protected, so you will need some “special” software.

There are many options, like AnyDVD with CloneDVD2 or DVDFab, etc.

Same applies to .avi to dvd converters. Just an example: Winavi video converter (http://www.winavi.com/avi-to-dvd.htm).

[QUOTE=willow;2205049]Ok here goes. I just purchased a LG 20x super multi dvd rewriter. It came with Nero Express and , InCd, Lightscribe, Cyberlinks PowerDVD and Power Producer. Problem is I haven’t a clue on where to start. I tried making a copy of a movie I own but it only burned 5 minutes of the movie then burn fail message appeared. I also have some files in avi format do i need a decoder to convert to dvd if so which free software is the best? Can you make a copy of a copied DVD? My son is little and i would really like to back up all his movies as they tend to get scrtached fairly easy. Any help is appreciated.[/QUOTE]

I have found that DVDFAB is the easiest to use.

Here is an option, it’s for movie only plus 5.1 English, but if you look it over you might figure how to use the programs for say full Dvd etc. Posts #67 to #74, but please also read Post #78. AVIs you will have to convert before burning to Dvd, as mentioned. The way I choose to make a copy of a copied Dvd is to put the copied disc in my drive, then drag & drop the AUDIO/VIDEO-TS folders contained in the disc to my hard drive to then burn with ImgBurn in build mode.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/dvdfab-5-0-2-2-not-ready-big-league-245636/index3.html

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=86750

Depending on what programs nero came with (oem versions are often stripped down), you may be able to use nero for some of it. What version of nero is it? Look for an option for start smart. Open that and look for an icon for make your own dvd video. That would be the option to convert your avi files to dvd including making some simple menus.
Nero recode works for backing up disks (I think its the copy entire dvd movie option) with the exception that it will not copy copy protected movies. I run anydvd in the background which gets rid of the copy protection so nero can do copy protected movies (and it will compress dvd-9 movies to fit a dvd-5). Anydvd has a free trial so you could see if you like it (if your version of nero has these programs).

Thanks to everyone who responded. In answer to one question (what version of nero am I using). It’s nero 7 and I haven’t gotten it to burn properly yet. It’s driving me insane. :a I got about 5 minutes of one movie, and the other won’t play on my dvd player but will play on my computer. Go figure. I’ll just keep trying I guess. Trial and error usually works :iagree: