What disk will an X-box read?

I just got a lite on 832 and want to copy DVD’s for playing on my x box.
my x box has a phillips drive. I’ve burned DVD’s that work fine in my NEC dvd rom drive, but the x box does not like them. I’m using a Rom booktype and I’ve tried TDK DVD RW and AML DVD+R with no luck…What media will the x box read?

I think you have to have a mod chip fitted to your X box before it will allow you to play games on burnable media. DVD movies on +R media with -ROM booktype should play ok. They will need to be better quality than AML. :Z

I have a Samsung DVD drive in my modded Xbox and it still has problems reading a book-type set TDK +RW - very erratic and not dependant on obvious burn quality. It reads all my -R and +R (set to DVD-ROM book-type) discs with no problem - that is Prodiscs, Riteks and Mitsubishis.

Edit: I know it is stating the obvious (but some people still forget…) - you are burning the ISO image, right? If burned correctly a PC burner will NOT recognise the disc.

The Phillips drive is generally pretty picky. It will usually read a quality +R or -R disc. My recommendations are Ritek DVD-R and Taiyo Yuden DVD-R/+R. RW is really a gamble with this drive so I wouldn’t waste much time with them. I wouldn’t trust AML media either. You can get 50 packs of 8x Taiyo Yuden DVD-R/+R from www.rima.com for $30+shipping. Ritek DVD-R will run you about $27 shipped for a 50 pack of 4x ones from www.newegg.com. Taiyo Yuden has consistantly proven to be the best overall media but Ritek isn’t too bad for the price. :wink:

There are actually two Philips drives- an ‘early’ Philips on xboxes that have a manufacture date prior to August 2003 (not 100% sure about the date), and a ‘late model’ Philips drive for everything made after that date (same tray design). The newer Philips is supposed to rival the Samsung for title of ‘best xbox drive’, while the early one rivals the Thomson for worst. I have the early one and it reads bitset YUDEN T01 with PI/PIF max of 10/2 about half the time on a good day. So unfortunately, ‘better’ media is not a guarantee for greater success. I actually had relatively better success with RITEKR02. Reliably had errors at the ends of movies, but game backups could be read with multiple tries. By comparison, about 25% of my TY backups were not recognized at all.

If you have the early model, good luck; you’ll need it.

My X box says it was made 10-6-2003 so I hope you’re right about the date. I’m not gonna by 50 of any media until I find something that will work. I noticed Office depot has Phillips +R media I’m gonna try it next.

Huh? A PC burner will not recognize a movie DVD? or a x box game? I’m not tryin to copy x box games…I’m makin the DVD’s using DVD dycrypter and DVD shrink.

Sorry, my mistake! Thought you were backing up games…brain sleepy :o
In which case, definitely avoid RWs for movies as very unreliable reading even in Samsung drives.

it depends what version xbox you have…there are 3 different dvd drives…philips,thompson,samsung.
i have found that only 1 of the drives plays virtualy anything…but i do know that ritek G04 printable white tops work on any xbox drive.also verbatim - discs (mcc) play fine…this is provided you can get a decent enough burn of a ritek in our liteons lol…

I’m having no problems on my own Samsung drive except for DVD+R not bitsetted, globally seen, if you booktype your dvd+r to dvd-rom almost all xbox drives will read the games. But Some philips drives don’t, then I use SONY04D1 (even at 8X) or RITEKG04 or G05. That dye is a bit darker and then it reflects better so that the drive can read it.
Thompson drives can read dvd+r that are not bitsetted too.

I’ve solved the problem! After much reading on www.xbox-scene.com it became apparrent that the newer Phillips drives like -R media. So I went and got some TDK DVD-R
and burned them as a -R booktype and the X-box loves 'em!!!
I even got the best k-probe ever, I thought lite-on’s didn’t like -R’s from reading om this board.
Disc Type DVD-R
Book Type DVD-R
Manufacturer TDK Corporation
Media ID TTG01
Protection System None
Region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Capacity 3.83 GB
Free Size 0.00 GB
Free Blocks 0
Number of Layers 1
Linear Density 0.267 um/bit
Track Density 0.74 um/track