What determines minimum burning speed?

I was wondering what determines the minimum speed that a burner will write . Everything states maximum speed but I can’t find what the minimum speed is for both my burners. I use 2.4X Verbatim disc and Imgburn and set write speed at 1X but it always burns much faster usually averaging 4 to 6x on dual layer disc. I have Pioneer 216D and LG GH22LP20 burners.

Hi,

the minimum burn speed for certain media is determined in the drive’s firmware. ImgBurn reports all speeds supported for the inserted blank disc, but for some reasons it lets you select any other speed also.
So, just select the minimum speed reported if you are a fan of low-speed burning :wink:

Michael

The disc I have state Verbatim 2.4X DL and Imgburn states 4X only. Don’t know why there is a discrepancy between the two. I’ve read where others have read and burned their navigation disc at 2X but I haven’t been able to do it myself. All my disc are readable in a computer but the vehicle states that it can’t read the DVD.

The inability to read the disc by your navigation system may have other reasons. We have some navigation backup threads in our software forums, so you may do some reading there.

Michael

I have read all the posts you refer to and haven’t had any luck. Most post are not specific enough with details like what burner they used and if they changed any default settings in image burn. The last post I read pusha stated he made a working copy of the same disc I have by lowering the read and write speed to 2X. Don’t know how he was able to do it at that speed but I can’t. And he hasn’t responded again.

If your burner supports your blank media at 4x minimum, you can’t do anything about that.
Modern drives mostly don’t have support for low burn speeds (apart from some generic write strategy for unknown media). Sometimes, the burn quality of a modern drive is better with higher speeds than the minimum supported.

Michael

Thanks for the comeback Mike. I’m really new to this dual layer stuff. The only other burn that I made was of Mall Cop and apparently it had issues at the layer break because I had stalls and pixels issues but was eventually able to get through the movie.
I’ve just ordered another burner; Pioneer DVR 177D that claims to be able to burn at 2.4X. I’m assuming I need this because the Verbatim are 2.4X. I’m not sure of the quality of a burn on a 2.4X that is burned at 4X or higher. I can read the burns but not play them.

Ron

This is a followup. I finally made a working copy of my GM navigation disk. I was able to burn it with my LGGH22LP20 burner. I took pusha’s advice and set the rip and burn speeds to 1X in DVD Decripter and Imgburn. Imgburn reported the only burn speed available with the Verbatim 2.4X DL disk and my burner was 4X speed. I tried it today and it worked. For how long no one knows.
When I get my Pioneer DVR 117D I’ll try it again and see what happens with it. :clap:

[QUOTE=juron99;2288618]I was wondering what determines the minimum speed that a burner will write . Everything states maximum speed but I can’t find what the minimum speed is for both my burners. I use 2.4X Verbatim disc and Imgburn and set write speed at 1X but it always burns much faster usually averaging 4 to 6x on dual layer disc. I have Pioneer 216D and LG GH22LP20 burners.[/QUOTE]

1x for DVD+R / DL is not suitable.

Well what I found out was when I put the blank Verbatim 2.4X DVD DL in the LG GH22LP20, Imgburn only stated one available speed and that was 4X. I then took the blank DVD and put into the Pioneer 2910 and Imgburn gave four available speeds; 2.4x, 4X, 6X and 8X. I have Firmware Ver.109 on the Pioneer and Version 1.02 on the LG. I had updated both burners and probably shouldn’t have the LG.

As per “pusha’s” post he stated that he made coasters until he slowed his burn speed to 2X. By slowing mine down I also was able to get a good copy. Setting the burn speed to X when it is not available will cause Imgburn to burn at the next highest available speed.

I cannot speak for the LG (it seems to have a very limited write strat support due to the used chipset!) but the Pio 2910; which is a Pio DVR-216D in disguise; will give you excellent reults with this MKM001 media at 4x and 6x!!!

My attempt to burn at 2.4X on the Pioneer was unsuccessful. I then burned it at 4X and also used CDBurnerXP Pro and the burn was successful. So I guess one just has to try different combos of media and burners until he finds the one that works.