What determines if a dvd gets written CAV, or Z-CLV

I’m just curious.

I receintly bought some TYG02 DVD-Rs. My NEC 3520a 1UF burns them using the z-CLV method. When scanning the disc using NeroSpeed there is a higher error rate in the section of the disc where it was burnt at 6X and lower errors at the 4x and 8x platoues. I’m wondering if its possible to burn these using the CAV method to avoid a quarter of the disc being burnt at 6x.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks.
-ty1er/

The firmware in the drive determines if the media is burned with CAV, P-CAV, CLV, or Z-CLV. All 8x and 6x burns in the 3520 (as well as many other NEC drives) is done at Z-CLV as far as I know.

If you’re scanning with the NEC 3520, the “higher error rate” in the 6x section might be just a scanning anomaly. I’m not convinced this drive is a dependable scanner.

For my older NEC drives, the 6x section was usually considered better in terms of PIE/PIF and Jitter than the 4x/8x sections according to some of my scanning drives (Plextor, LiteOn) and worse than the 4x/8x accordong to some other scanning drives (BenQ).

How about posting some example screenshots of your scans?

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2301743]The firmware in the drive determines if the media is burned with CAV, P-CAV, CLV, or Z-CLV. All 8x and 6x burns in the 3520 (as well as many other NEC drives) is done at Z-CLV as far as I know.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, thats what I was kinda figuring.

If you’re scanning with the NEC 3520, the “higher error rate” in the 6x section might be just a scanning anomaly. I’m not convinced this drive is a dependable scanner.

How about posting some example screenshots of your scans?

I’ll have to post some screenshots when I get home from work. From what I gathers my scans are far from bad. I think that I just get a little nutty and what to see a nice even scan thoughout the disc.